Name this sound!

I looked for a general thread for these but didn't find one. I apologize for any duplication.

This seems like a common and simple sound, but I can't find any presets in any of my synths that come even vaguely close to it, and so far my attempts to recreate it from scratch have failed utterly (which is no surprise, I still have a lot to learn about synths). It's the very first sound, the opening pad in this: http://youtu.be/VrN2vT0ISf4

I know I could sample it, there's a good two seconds of it playing clean with no other sounds, but I'd really like to figure out what it's made of, partly as a learning experience and partly to possibly tweak it. Also I strongly prefer not to even sample anything that isn't open license when I can avoid it.

Any ideas?

Name it? Stuart. Done.

Sounds like an ooh choir sound, probably synthetic and from one of those iconic synths/samplers of the 80s. Check the low registers of any choir patches you've got, sampler or synth.

You can probably get pretty close by finding an bunch of choir vowel sounds and pitching them down a lot. My guess is that it's an eh or ah, but because the formants shift when you pitch it down, it sounds like an ooh. You might be able to put together something similar with formant filters and things, but I think it'd be easier to work with samples for this.