YOUTUBE: http://www.youtube.com/nitroglitchworld

FACEBOOK: https://www.facebook.com/NevesParadoxWorld

Game Remixed: Banjo Kazooie

Track Remixed: Mad Monster Mansion

Original Composer: Grant Kirkhope

Game System of Origin: Nintendo 64

Original Companies: Nintendo/Rare

Original Soundtrack Link: http://grantkirkhope.bandcamp.com/album/banjo-kazooie

Original Individual Track Link: http://grantkirkhope.bandcamp.com/track/mad-monster-mansion

Hi, I'm Neves Paradox, and I have made plenty of originals and remixes, all inspired from video games and anime.

I hope I've provided enough information, and I've linked to all major information and my own major sites/social networks.

I've provided a copy of my "Mad Monster Mansion" remix, in case you didn't want to download it from another website.

I also asked Grant Kirkhope himself for permission to remix a few of his tracks and he allowed me to do so.

Thanks for considering my work, I hope you will accept it!

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

The synths sounded a bit thin throughout, but there was a lot of them, so they kindof banded together to fill in the gaps. Overall it seemed like there was a bit of excess headroom. As the song progressed, and it got crazier, it thickened up a lot and got a lot fuller sounding, though I think you could bring up the bass a touch for this, and even the drums a bit as well. The sub bass was in line, but there should be a bit more audible bass on top of that, so you can hear it on more systems.

The arrangement here was very well thought out, with a lot of fun things happening, and a pretty chaotic mix of source and original parts. I think that the production should be adjusted to get a bit more audible bass though, which when used in sections that really need to be amped up would help the dynamic curve of this and assist in making the quiet sections and the loud sections stand out more from each other.

Nice track, just needs a bit more polish!

No, please resubmit

• 4 weeks later...

The name's not creative at all ["Source Tune (Artist Mix)" = meh], but we'll get something else if it actually passed.

I think that the production should be adjusted to get a bit more audible bass though, which when used in sections that really need to be amped up would help the dynamic curve of this and assist in making the quiet sections and the loud sections stand out more from each other.

I definitely agree with this, and it's a great criticism. Me personally, I didn't think it was enough to hold this otherwise-strong arrangement back, so I'm tipping in favor of it.

Like OA mentioned, there's some headroom, but things layered up well enough that it wasn't a huge deal and the track sounded pretty full regardless. To me, it's just a bit overlong, but overall this arrangement clicked really well and had great energy and creativity. Definitely interesting to hear this given a club kind of twist. Nice job, Brian!

YES

Creepy fun!!! I am LOVING the sfx! (big fan of sfx and vocal clips here) Really great arrangement too. Fun panning and effects. Tons of yummy ear candy.

I do hear some issues, such as the thin-ish leads. Mixing could be cleaner, with elements separated better and a bit of mud cleared out. Wobbles could have been more epic with more low end added, but the sequencing and automation are really good. Kick could use some more low end beef, it's a touch "clacky."

I'm loving this overall and the above issues don't hold it back for me. The arrangement and creativity carries it. Ghoulishly delightful!

YES

The intro to this remix is cool. Great use of SFX... not a big fan of the lead at 0:16 tho.

When the drums kick in, they feel like the focus of the mix. Strong and punchy. However, the leads and all the other synths are buried underneath them, and this continues throughout. Quite a sizeable problem, particularly without the drums and there is no focus point.

The arrangement is really cool btw - DUBSTEP WUBS and drums with some really really cool writing that takes the originals menace and does away with the more comedic elements of his writing to give something slightly more sinister.

The sounds are good... the bass could stand to be more bassy tho, and more care on the mixing needs to be taken as well. Its a shame because due to the drums taking all the attention, a lot of the more creative writing from the synths is lost in the shuffle.

The big issue for me is the mixing - the lack of focus in the melodic writing is a BIG problem, and I think this could be touched up some for the resub. I am going to go on record and say that I don't think the drums need boosting in volume at least, but some more bass/compression could help them stand out more and add a bit of punch. I'd suggest fixing up your synth mixing first tho!

Its close to the bar, I don't think it needs much more :D

No (resub)

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah I agree with Will that sometimes the mix lacks a focus. In its worst moments, the lead synth is quieter than it should be and the track sounds lacking in direction. The use of FX also didn't add much - they were scattered almost at random - but it wasn't a big plus or minus. However, at its best moments, the melodies are front and center and cleverly used, the automation is extremely detailed and fun to listen to, and there's endless variety. The worst moments aren't a whole lot of the mix, as I hear it. While it has its problems, I think it's a pass.

YES

• 3 weeks later...

Gonna keep this short:

+drums sounding strong and appropriate for genre

+strong arrangement

+Cool individual part writing with synths and elements

-Mixing could definitely be stronger. Melodic & supporting elements too low. Drums are in a good spot I think.

-complex synth writing gets buried under other elements (both from mixing imbalance previously mentioned and delay effects mucking them together)

Neutral: SFX seemed superflous, but not a detriment per se

I could see this going either way, but personally, the weaker mixed sections like :21, 1:02, 1:57, 2:19, etc really just sound like noise underneath the beat with some melodic parts popping up and it's striking me in a bad way.

I really think this could use one more go to clean up & balance production better. I think it would make a big improvement to the mix as a whole.

NO resubmit, please

• 3 weeks later...

Really creative, aggressive mix. I agree that there are some mixing issues, but to be honest, in the grand scheme, I don't think there are any dealbreakers. There are parts where the drums and bass get pretty wild, but you keep everything clear and listenable. Pretty good.

Really digging the approach here. I like it.

YES

In my opinion the thing that separates great electronic music from the cookie-cutter is not so much sound design as arrangement/transitions. Gotta have those builds, breaks, drops, etc.

This track has pretty solid sound design and effects and stuff, but lacks dramatic transitions. It's a bit flat dynamically. This is holding the track back.

NO

There are a lot of crits here that I agree with. The thing that I noticed the most was the balance between the parts. I felt at times that sound effects and drums were drowning out some of the more melodic sections. I'd love to hear a re-balance of this to get things to be a bit more audible.

The arrangement does get a bit side-tracked a couple times, but I felt overall that it was clever and fun. I also agree that the sound effects were a bit random at times, but there were plenty of moments where they fit well. Maybe go through with a fine-toothed-comb and find the most appropriate sections to use it?

I think this is close, but I'm going to go on the NO side here. Really would love a touch-up, and I think you can get this through easily if you do! Good luck!

NO (resubmit, please)

• 1 month later...

Echo'ing some of the above:

The samples were definitely over-used when they play once a bar. There's often quite a lot of clutter in the low-mid parts where I almost felt some of the harmony parts could come up an octave (eg 1:56, 4:14). The lead synths the quietest part of the mix even if they are audible which is a bit weird (eg 3:32 and 2:35)

It's a close one but I think it would be beneficial to get a resub because of how much this type of remix arrangement relies on having crisp production with a crystal clear mix.

NO, please resubmit as this is very close.