*NO* 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors 'Through the Ninth Door'

Palpable

ReMixer name: OctoEntandre

Games arranged: 999, Zero Escape (Virtue's Last Reward)

Name of arrangement: Through the Ninth Door

Name of song arranged: Digital Root

Original song for reference

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qD5fBpqOSj8

Edited by Palpable
closed

Interesting modal choice with the bass; would not have considered that myself. The arrangement definitely amps up the energy of the original in a good way, though once the song gets going further, it feels like the bass Is lost, and that the low mids are packed a little too full. Maybe bring the bass down an octave there?

Overall I like how this progresses, but I think the production is a touch too messy and liberal with reverb effects that bleed into each other. I think toning down the reverb overall and being very mindful of your bass frequencies are the two steps that need to happen to get my vote on this one, but otherwise I really enjoyed it.

No, please resubmit

• 4 weeks later...

The mix is encoded at 160kbps. Don't forget to go 192kbps CBR or VBR1 for the encoding; we require higher quality encodings now. :-)

First off, have to say I love the source tune choice. Shinji Hosoe is a boss, as always, so thanks for putting this track or my radar.

The overall sound of :56's section also took a turn that reminded me of the energy of some of Phantasy Star Online's soundtrack, which was pretty's cool. Also has a little bit of a Deus Ex "UNATCO" vibe too thanks to the progression at :33. :-)

On the arrangement side, the tempo stayed pretty fixed, and there were some moments I wouldn't have minded a brief change in the tempo or rhythm, but there was a lot of evolution of ideas within that framework. The arrangement itself was excellent and well over the line, IMO. If 999 had a professional arrangement album, this would arrangement fit right in.

While the arrangement side is awesome (don't change anything) and I definitely want this on the site in some form, unfortunately OA's got the production issued pegged:

Interesting modal choice with the bass; would not have considered that myself. The arrangement definitely amps up the energy of the original in a good way, though once the song gets going further, it feels like the bass Is lost, and that the low mids are packed a little too full. Maybe bring the bass down an octave there?

Overall I like how this progresses, but I think the production is a touch too messy and liberal with reverb effects that bleed into each other. I think toning down the reverb overall and being very mindful of your bass frequencies are the two steps that need to happen to get my vote on this one, but otherwise I really enjoyed it.

Dayum, BrOA really nailed it here; certainly more precisely than I ever could. There's a lot of mud and clutter in the piece that undermines the quality of the track. The way it's mixed almost sounds like someone encoded this at 96kbps, which isn't an effect you want. Take this to the Workshop or run it by people who have an ear for achieving crispness and clarity in their mixing. Once you EQ everything properly and give your instrumentation the proper breathing room and balance, this would pass with flying colors.

Awesome piece, Michael, now just make sure you touch up the production so that everything here's clicking on all cylinders. Definitely don't be a stranger, I like your style, man.

NO (refine/resubmit)

Whoa, what a COOL source! Definitely sounds like BrOA (haha, love that name) nailed it with his critique. Great arrangement, wonderful sounds used, and some good writing... but this mix is waaaay too bleedy. Way too much reverb used. The instrument balancing is fine, but definitely it could be eq'd a bit better to let each instrument really shine. For example, the lead at 1:30 is totally buried, frequency wise.

I also agree with Andrew about the bass, I love it in the intro, but afterward it seems to have... melted into the track? Where'd it go?

I agree there is an overall almost bitcrushed feel to the mix, not sure if that was intentional... or is the master simply overcompressed by an overly pushed compressor or limiter? (if so, please bring that down so the track is not getting smashed) I wonder if it will sound different in a better encoding format like 192kbps or VBR1.

The ending cuts off abruptly before the final reverb tail dies away, just make your render a bit longer.

This is SOOO CLOSE for me, I really love it. It has almost an X-Files vibe. The writing and arrangement are top notch. Please make these minor fixes and send it back over so we can get it posted!

NO (resubmit)