Apex 2015: Recruiting NOW

DarkeSword

Apex is the premier Smash Bros. tournament, and since 2013 we've been doing the official album, featuring remixes of games at the event. The past two albums have been a big hit and we're excited to be doing another one.

AlexStrife, the head organizer of the event, sent over a final, confirmed list of games for this year's tournament. As always, the list of games is not limited to just Super Smash Bros., but features a variety of PvP games (mostly fighting games):

• Super Smash Bros.
  • Super Smash Bros. Melee
  • Super Smash Bros. Brawl
  • Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
  • Super Smash Bros. Project M
  • Ultra Street Fighter 4
  • Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3
  • Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN-
  • Killer Instinct (XBox One)
  • Pokemon X/Y

I'm looking for aggressive, high-energy remixes, and one slower chill-out track. We want to to do at least ONE track per game.

For the Super Smash Bros. games, sources that are unique to those games are highly preferred (such as main themes, menu themes, bonus level themes), but the iconic Nintendo themes used in stages are also fine. For Project M, our very own Phonetic Hero wrote some original music for the actual game, which I'd love to see remixed for the album.

We are doing a physical run of this album, and copies of it will be given out at the tournament as part of prize packs and also as promotional material for OCR. We spend the weekend at the event sitting at our OC ReMix table, blasting OC ReMixes (including the Apex albums), selling merchandise (t-shirts, etc.), and generally talking up the site and the community. The music is also featured on the official Apex streams, which see a lot of viewers on Twitch.

The past two Apex albums have been very well-received by the organizers at Apex, who are always very excited about the album when we show them the music, and also by attendees at the event, who generally just think it's really cool that a fighting game tournament has an official album.

The event takes place in January, so I'd like to have all of the music done by November 1st, because we need to be able to print up physical copies of the album. Last year I ended up cutting things very close, which I'd like to avoid this time around.

If you're interested in contributing, please make a claim on a track. Please be aware that I'm looking for skilled artists who are going to bring their A-game to the table. If you're a novice remixer or just starting out, I'm not going to outright deny you from making a claim, but this is not the album to be cutting your teeth on, so you really need to wow me with some samples of your work.

Claims - These are the tracks that have been claimed by artists.

Edited by DarkeSword

• 3 months later...

Building ideas for contributing, but how do these albums work, anyway? Do these play out during gameplay, is it a piece of merchandise participants can pick up, does it play out on speakers as just kind of "atmosphere" music for people to enjoy before playing or outside the main room it takes place in or what?

I feel like I'm missing an angle or goal to hit on.

• 2 months later...
Street Fighter, bro. I'm doing this. :nicework:
I'd be down to mix something from Pokemon X/Y. If you want another chillout track on this one I can do that, but I'd definitely be okay with something more upbeat and/or aggressive this time around.

You guys are in. Amph, it's your choice in whether you want to do an upbeat track for a downtempo track.

I have a chipfunk take on SSBM's menu theme that I've been working on for funsies. Not sure if it would be high energy enough for the album, but I can always toss the WIP your way and see what you think.

Or I could remix Pete's track ;-)

I was going to do that but I didn't think I would have the time. Maybe if we teamed up on it? :)

I spent the past couple hours or so transcribing Poison's theme from Street Fighter and I have some ideas for a remix of it.

If you want I can go ahead and try to make a WIP so you can see if you think it will be good enough.

EDIT: Or maybe not, since Neblix is doing Street Fighter.

Edited by AngelCityOutlaw

Melee, but either one is totally fine! :)

If it's all the same to you, I 'd sort of prefer doin a solo track. It seems like most of my stuff that's currently in the works is collabs, and I'd like to see what I can accomplish with my own chops. Plus, two remixers means two different tracks, which helps Darke out too.

I have a pretty energetic concept for Menu 1 from Melee planned, but if Timeaus is really jonesin' to remix Melee, I'd be happy with Brawl's FD or Smash 64's Credits.

If it's all the same to you, I 'd sort of prefer doin a solo track. It seems like most of my stuff that's currently in the works is collabs, and I'd like to see what I can accomplish with my own chops. Plus, two remixers means two different tracks, which helps Darke out too.

I have a pretty energetic concept for Menu 1 from Melee planned, but if Timeaus is really jonesin' to remix Melee, I'd be happy with Brawl's FD or Smash 64's Credits.

Nah, the reason I wanted to do a collab was because I wouldn't have the time to do a solo mix (I have like 5 other WIPs to finish).