SZRC - The Sonic Zone Remix Competition 2014 [TheGuitahHeroe wins - complete ZIP available!]

SuperiorX

ladyWildfire vs Jason Covenant

I hereby challenge ladyWildfire to a vocal trance/house/electro mix-off. The rules would be:

1. Can use one's own voice or samples but vocals must be a main element.

2. Some sort of electronica has to be the main genre but other elements can be mixed in.

3. All the other compo rules.

Step 1: Download MIDI files for both sources.

Step 2: Open MIDI files in DAW.

Step 3: Randomly intercalate sections of both sources, it doesn't matter if they don't fit.

Step 4: Grab some awful synth presets and put them on your MIDI tracks.

That's it!

Don't forget the drum loops

Step 3: Randomly intercalate sections of both sources, it doesn't matter if they don't fit.

That's it!

Although half-joking, I still was having some trouble getting started, but finally got something going late last night. And you know what? I feel using the MIDI files makes it harder. I feel it just locked me into a BPM and blocked any creative ideas I would have. I was trying to think of a style as I was listening to the MIDI files and it just wasn't working. So I tossed em out the window (quite literally actually... the Logic Pro window hehehe) and closed my eyes and hoped I would hear my song. I think it worked.

That's it!

I knew someone was stealing my killer studio workflow secrets.

Alright you panzards Imma take a short break from writing and shed some light on something I've recently discovered as far as composition goes. I've been using only a cheesy sounding drumkit and saw waves to create my remix thus far and I think it sounds pretty damn good as it is. That's probably a good sign, being that it sounds ok in its worst form. I do this to not get attached to any one sound while I'm writing, which usually influences how I play certain parts depending on the sound I use. So perhaps if some of you are thinking "gee, this really isn't sounding that great, but maybe it will once I change the instruments," maybe it's time to re-arrange some of the elements or re-write a certain part so that it sounds awesome when using crummy placeholder synths. Composition is key, and good sounds alone won't make your track sound good. This post is basically just a little brain dump and it's sort of how I've been looking at my track so far, so I figured I'd share it with you guys. Who knows, maybe I'm way out to left field and when I start choosing real sounds it will end up sounding crappy. Gah!

Anyway how's everyone's mixes coming along?

Alright you panzards Imma take a short break from writing and shed some light on something I've recently discovered as far as composition goes. I've been using only a cheesy sounding drumkit and saw waves to create my remix thus far and I think it sounds pretty damn good as it is. That's probably a good sign, being that it sounds ok in its worst form. I do this to not get attached to any one sound while I'm writing, which usually influences how I play certain parts depending on the sound I use. So perhaps if some of you are thinking "gee, this really isn't sounding that great, but maybe it will once I change the instruments," maybe it's time to re-arrange some of the elements or re-write a certain part so that it sounds awesome when using crummy placeholder synths. Composition is key, and good sounds alone won't make your track sound good. This post is basically just a little brain dump and it's sort of how I've been looking at my track so far, so I figured I'd share it with you guys. Who knows, maybe I'm way out to left field and when I start choosing real sounds it will end up sounding crappy. Gah!

That's a cool way to look at it. I tend to change instruments a lot throughout before I settle, so I don't think I get too attached, though sometimes I think I do. Always interesting to think about it in a new way!

I was going to try an a capella mix, but it really wasn't going well :< So now I've got some kinda stuff and things that are sort of coming together. Still needs a LOT more work though!

That's an interesting way to put things; usually when I write, I try to build up a basic soundscape first, then write along that. No use trying to write around a specific aesthetic if you can't really create it well.

Like, with "Magma on the Dancefloor" in the 2012 compo, my first couple of days were spent just trying to get the basic groove together - finding the right bass tone, percussion sounds, accompanying riffs and the like. The only means I'd change instruments in the middle of writing it is often to change my drum selection, and that's only because a handful of people have become really fed up with me using the AD Startup Kit. xD

But enough about myself, the Sonic bracket roster looks interesting enough. I'm particularly hyped to see what will come out of the vox showdown between Jason and Wildfire x)

Some people like to build a skeleton of sorts of the entire track first and then refine the sounds, I usually work section by section while having a general idea in my head of where I want to go. Very rarely the song just appears in its entirety in my head and I just have to dump it on the daw.