SZRC - The Sonic Zone Remix Competition 2014 [TheGuitahHeroe wins - complete ZIP available!]

SuperiorX

I'm sorry you were having issues Jarel :( So it sounds like you can't even get a render of what you had started off your other machine?

I can't get that machine on anymore, and I couldn't get my mix to the point last night where I could've rendered it and thrown it on Dropbox before it died, so yeah. No go for me. Wish I had finished it earlier in the week, but again, I couldn't figure out what I wanted to do with the mix until late, and it's not like I saw this coming. :(

On the other hand, if I do ever manage to get that machine running again, it probably won't take me long to finish it, render it, and toss it on Soundcloud or something so everyone can at least hear what I would've put up against Sir_NutS track, so here's hoping that happens.

I submitted mine!

It's mainly a fast rock song, but I got a bit carried away in the middle section :razz: Source usage should be easy to notice, but in case it doesn't here's a breakdown:

- Intro uses Sky Zone's intro and a part of the main Green Hill melody.

- 2nd riff introduced is very loosely based on Sky Zone.

- 3rd riff is based on the last part of Green Hill and also includes a melody from Green Hill.

- E. Piano section and the one following are based on the chord progression from the main part of Green Hill.

- Outro is once again Sky Zone and Green Hill's intro, plus one other melody from Sky Zone.

5 mins left. Just need Jason's track. I got Cash, jnWake's and Ivan Hakstok's.

I can't get that machine on anymore, and I couldn't get my mix to the point last night where I could've rendered it and thrown it on Dropbox before it died, so yeah. No go for me. Wish I had finished it earlier in the week, but again, I couldn't figure out what I wanted to do with the mix until late, and it's not like I saw this coming. :(

On the other hand, if I do ever manage to get that machine running again, it probably won't take me long to finish it, render it, and toss it on Soundcloud or something so everyone can at least hear what I would've put up against Sir_NutS track, so here's hoping that happens.

No problem, those types of issues are unexpected and there's not much you can do about them :-( I'm sorry you weren't able to get it in!

My entry mainly focuses on the Endless Mine source (all of the lyrical lines are from EM), and the Aqua Planet source is mostly in the rhythmic wooden instrument, with a few other small snippets here and there. The bass line is from AP as well. I think I used the sources rather liberally, so let me know if you need me to point out where they are.

The remix is done in the style of Latin House, which I only learned about on Tuesday.

Lyrics:

when did I become so blind

to all the thoughts in my endless mind

and with this heavy weight hanging over me

clouding my judgment so I hardly see through

lost in all my

fear I'm lost in

here where I can

see I'm lost in

me with all my

fear I'm lost in

here where I can

see I'm lost in

me

late at night i become myself

i fade away

fall under your spell

only then am i finally free

see through the haze

staring into me

OK! It's Noon!! I just got Jason's track, so I'll be preparing the Sonic Bracket entries for downloading right now. 14 entries were submitted. Expect them in about 30 mins or so.

The Robotnik Bracket Round 1 match-ups are announced in the first post graphic! Go get em!!! :-D

Edited by SuperiorX

Somehow I managed to almost entirely start over and still complete a vocal mix in a little more than an hour. I didn't sing--I talked into the mic then pitched the vox in processing. It still doesn't sound great, but without that processing I sound like a chain smoker vomiting intermittently into a helium balloon after a failed marathon attempt.

You've probably got this one in the bag, Wildfire, still, I'm proud I didn't drop out or fail to do a vocal mix. Can't wait for those entries...

Can't wait to see what you Robotnik guys do this week too.

OK! The Sonic Bracket Round 1 music is up!!! There were 14 entries: Arrow and Brandon Strader did not complete a mix.

The first post of the thread has been updated with a link as well. The voting will take place in the SZRC Social Group, so be sure to join that group so you can place your votes. Voting Guidelines are in the first post of this thread as well. Voting will remain open until Sunday, February 9th at 12pm (noon) ET. The winners will move on to the next round and face their next opponent!

Please remember, voters need to vote in EVERY MATCH-UP for that round for their votes to count.

Robotnik Bracket Round 1 entries are due on Sunday, February 9th at 12pm (noon) ET. Good luck!

Edited by SuperiorX

I know that because my song doesn't need voting some people may choose to skip it, but I appreciate any feedback, as I'll be polishing this one a bit more this week for submission purposes.

Grabbing this week's songs now.

Honestly, I loved this. I know I'm relatively new around here, but I think it would definitely be worth submitting that mix as you suggest. Epic work! If I had one criticism, I would say maybe the echo is slightly overdone for the robotic voice, which means the musical accompaniment feels completely swamped at times, but I'd be happy to listen to this over and over again :)

Here are my short thoughts on the tracks, names in bold receive my vote:

Wildfire vs Jason: I liked wildfire's track, good arrangement and authentic to the genre. However I must say again the that vocal mixing really drags down the quality of the track again, the vocals feel lofi in a bad way, sometimes harsh and other times too muddled or reeverb-y. Jason's track was great considering it was done in one hour, with more time this would've been pretty great, but as it stands can't vote it over a complete track.

Halc vs Disambiguity: The zone runners duo is smooth, I liked the arrangement and the rapping was spot-on. Disambiguity's track would've benefited from some percussion elements. I get what you were possibly trying to go for, but some percussion would've helped drive the point home.

DJ Max-E vs Xenonetix: Bizarre indeed, but I enjoyed the intricacies of DJ Max-E's track, pretty complex and imaginative, along with some interesting sound design. Xeno's track was decent but the production was very very muddy and lacked the energy it needed to drive that 4 on the floor beat.

Hakstok vs Jobson: now this was the hardest to decide. Both songs are excellent, and take the originals into new territory. I feel I am going with Hakstok because of the more varied instrumentation and ideas, but that doesn't take away that Jobson's track was excellent, with imaginative arrangement ideas, solid production and man, dat groove.

Amphibious vs Cash: I can't help to vote for amphibious every time, he knows which buttons to push to get my vote, his chill but refined tracks are always enjoyable. Cash's track wasn't as cohesive, felt a bit empty at times, and surprisingly overcompressed at times, although there were some interesting ideas thrown around.

SuperiorX vs Trism: There were some harsh frequencies in Matt's track, and that reeverb needs to be toned down a lot, but other than that it's a very fun song with good arrangement. Trism went hard and hot with his mix, with overcompressed drums that actually work for the genre, however I think more could've been done with the melodic side of things and the other elements could've been a bit clearer.

jnwake: Very sweet stuff, loved the calm atmosphere at the start that breaks into good ol' metal. drums sound a bit muddy but the guitars are clear enough, the arrangement was very good and both tracks were joined almost seamlessly.

Very entertaining round.

Here are my short thoughts on the tracks, names in bold receive my vote:

Wildfire vs Jason: I liked wildfire's track, good arrangement and authentic to the genre. However I must say again the that vocal mixing really drags down the quality of the track again, the vocals feel lofi in a bad way, sometimes harsh and other times too muddled or reeverb-y.

I think it's a combination of poor recording technique and not much experience in vocal processing. If anyone's got tips for vocal mixing, PM me! I want to learn! :<

Wildfire vs. Jason: Both really really really amazing mixes. Jason's suffered from not being complete, but it was still damn good for what it was. Beth's was a lot more mellow, so props for that.

halc vs. Disambiguity: OHGOD NOW I REALLY WANT THAT ZONE RUNNERS ALBUM. Disambigodyournameislong's track was pretty cool too, but it had the unfortunate chance to be up against that Zone Runners track.

Hak vs. The Artist Formerly Known As Syllix: Hak's song is so ridiculously happy I can't help but be happy listening to it. Jobson's track is nice too, but unfortunately any song that makes me happy tends to edge out those that aren't infectiously happy. Still great though.

Cashibious: Amph's track was eclectic and unique, very well done. Cash's was fun and great work including that Marble Madness source for a Marbleous trifecta. Sorry had to use that pun even though it was Amph's originally.

SupX vs. Trism: Both great tracks, but unfortunately to me Trism's took away the happy nature of Metropolis, and as such SupX's track took the win there.

Nuts vs. Wake: WAIT THIS WASN'T A MATCHUP?!? Both great tracks, really enjoyable and great work from all y'all. Just wanted to mention that here. :3

Also the lyrics in yer track, NutS, were hilarious and great. Glad to hear more from Helicopter Knife Fight outside of For Everlasting Peace, and I hope this won't be the last either.