SZRC - The Sonic Zone Remix Competition 2014 [TheGuitahHeroe wins - complete ZIP available!]

SuperiorX

BH3eeME.gif

does that answer? o.o

Sort of. I'll pm you

Aight well to be honest, the 1 week thing is tough, that's why I kinda failed to enter and offered to collab something for folks.. if you had something planned for THIS week before Sunday it might be tough. I'll be at work until 3pm Saturday, but then I'll be off.. so I should be able to do something last minute if that's what you are thinking...

I work Tuesday nights too, and there's a chance I could get called out.. but yeah for the most part I should have plenty of time to contribute to something... especially if it's like a guitar solo, or vocals, that doesn't take too long, and I know how to send you appropriate dry wavs so you can mix them into your song. Less time wasted going back and forth "you sent the file wrong blahh".

QkYKsmy.gif

Just a little over 24 hours until the Robotnik Round 1 entries are due! I've received entries from urdailywater and Tuberz McGee already!

Voting on the Sonic Bracket Round 1 entries closes at that time too, Sunday February 9th at 12pm (noon) ET sharp! So make sure you grab the tracks and vote if you haven't already!

Aight well to be honest, the 1 week thing is tough, that's why I kinda failed to enter and offered to collab something for folks.. if you had something planned for THIS week before Sunday it might be tough. I'll be at work until 3pm Saturday, but then I'll be off.. so I should be able to do something last minute if that's what you are thinking...

I work Tuesday nights too, and there's a chance I could get called out.. but yeah for the most part I should have plenty of time to contribute to something... especially if it's like a guitar solo, or vocals, that doesn't take too long, and I know how to send you appropriate dry wavs so you can mix them into your song. Less time wasted going back and forth "you sent the file wrong blahh".

QkYKsmy.gif

FUUUUUUUUUUCK sounds like Dom's got some good shit planned. I'm gonna have to really step my game up these last coupla hours

I haven't been able to listen to the songs as much as I'd like this week so I'mma force myself to write a few reviews down.

ladywilfire: killer stuff. i could kind of relax to this because it has a cool atmosphere. i still don't think i'll ever understand why electronic producers mix vocals to where you can't understand them, but I don't ever complain when radiohead does so i guess it's stylistic. i just feel like you have a really nice voice and it's get buried in the song. that high hat/shaker/whatever is way bright. it's ok though i just had to turn it down a bit. other than that, yeah, i enjoy this and look forward to hearing more.

Jason Covenant: i look forward to a finished product, it was catchy and i see the potential all over this one. autotone sounds good, and towards the end i like the way your voice and the synth do a call and answer thing. very good.

halc: the vocals seem loud. i feel like they could be mixed a little better into the music but it's ok. i'm really happy you are doing vocals. i always wanted your music to have vocals in front of it for some reason. they're like catchy radio tunes.

the flow is nice too. everything else is mixed well and it the song itself is enjoyable. good job.

Disambiguity: the lead was a little weak. i don't think you were going for a very powerful song, but with some drums this could be a really strong track. you mix the two sources well so credits to the arrangement. i hope you keep making more.

Helicopter Knife Fight: my favorite vocal track so far. i like it a lot. the drums were sick and i like the synth work here. not much to say really, it's a really enjoyable track.

DJ Max-E: i like how you take this track to different places. it changes up atmosphere a lot. the breakdown in the middle was pretty cool. very cool synth work here. it's R2D2 making beats. i liked it. unique arrangement too. it's kind of trippy and i like that.

Xenonetix: another trippy song. these two sources are crazy. the mixing is a little off. don't be afraid to use more stereo separation. on headphones it can make stuff like this sound really good. the ending was nice and chill too. synth choices meld together very well even though they aren't super crazy or jump out at you. good job.

Ivan Hakstok: for some reason the only two azure lake remixes i've heard have guitar. the performance is what really sold me here. when the synth came in, i was kind of like "no, keep playing!!" i'm gonna echo what someone else said saying that bass sound coming in at the end was kind of weird. nice job regardless - keep rockin on!

Ryan Jobson: super catchy stuff here. nice pacing and changeups. the song felt very well structured and the two sources melded together well. i like the sound choices, it sounds like it could be in the next sonic game. nice job, keep it up!

Amphibious: i like this here song. very nice drum work, makes me want to play it! it's very jazzy and that's never a bad thing. the synth work on top was cool, but once the rhodes section came in at 1:50 i was sold. super sexy stuff here. and thanks for singing into my ear like that, i enjoyed it : D

nothing bad to say, super sick!

Cash: Not sure how I feel about that lead synth. it works in context of the song though. i guess it's just not the type of stuff i usually hear. not a bad thing, it's unique. more drum variation would help this one a lot. they could actually be a lot stronger to make the song sound bigger. good job though.

SuperiorX: nice intro. I'm not a big fan of the snare. the space you've given it doesn't mix well in the context of the song. i love the synth work in this one. you really varied things out and it was worth the effort. the lead writing is super catchy and the countermelodies are too. one of my favorites this round, nice job.

Trism: that's a really nice intro you have there. it's sounds really cool on my ears. the snare is really overpowering when it comes in. the mixing in general doesn't do it for this one, but the writing is cool, and i laughed at that drop at 1:30. it sounds funny with the rest of the song. the piano outro seemed a little weird and out of place to me. keep going after it!

jnWake: this is actually my first time listening to this piece. i really enjoy that intro, and the guitar is killer too. you win major points for me here cause this sounds like it should be in a modern jrpg which i love :)

this song puts a smile on my face. i liked the green hill transition, was pretty sudden but didn't sound too off or anything. i can't wait to hear more from you!

and I believe that's it. hopefully!

Edited by urdailywater