SZRC - The Sonic Zone Remix Competition 2014 [TheGuitahHeroe wins - complete ZIP available!]

SuperiorX

I think I'm done writing lyrics for this compo, it eats up far too much of my time. I already have some ideas for ambient vocals though, like in my Sonic CD track.

Yea, I take forever on lyrics so I understand. You can always outsource that job to someone like Mr. 99, though. If not, ambient vocals still sound good too.

Edited by Jason Covenant

... as the end of the world approaches a lone Tuberz faces THE ARMADA!!

Anyway, listening to the tracks now; Garpocalypse, can you please clarify Xarnax42's role in your track? Because I can't seem to hear his usual croony v<3cal t<3nes anywhere o_O

Apologies to Xarnax, I'm listening to it now and i think he's too low in the mix. Any time you hear the vocals thicken that's him.

Xarnax is in the second part of the verse and the chorus every time. I decided to stack him and strader in the center which was probably not the best move.

You can tell i've only worked with vocals one other time in my life right? ...and that was Strader's My Choice stems from the WCRG. :)

Xarnax really got into this quickly. Within a few days I had a ton of leads, harmonies and octaves to play with. Only to bury them alive in the mix.

Edited by Garpocalypse

My favorite thing about this round is that both Nuts and I picked from Game Gear/Master System games, so each song only has 3 separate midi tracks. :nicework:

I love how the 8bit generation had such simple-yet-intricate music.

True dat. Master System is boss, I feel sad for you USA peeps that mostly missed out on that with the NES being the favourite in your country.

I have to say be very careful if you decide to collab with Brandon at any point for this competition or in future ones. When it came to crunch time I loaded up his vocal stems ready for a full night of work and at various points where the main vocals weren't supposed to be playing were Alien jibberish duets, random screams and blips, and an adlib about eating people's brains that went on just long enough to make some people really uncomfortable. :)

Really tough to focus on mixing when you're laughing hysterically at various points in the song. :< I might post a version where I leave all of those in just for the nyuks. :-P

I posted the track in the workshop with a quick explanation on source usage if anyone needs it. Once I get caught up on all the work I was supposed to be doing over the week i also plan to have an acoustic version of the track done at some point.

Awesome tracks this week!

Edited by Garpocalypse

If anyone's curious about my inspirations for this round, I drew heavily from both

from Tekken 2 and this album (sound design more inspired by the album, structured more like Devil's Theme). I'm in love with that album, and this post is basically just an excuse to share it - that last track hits me really profoundly. I realize it's a little more out there than most stuff and other people's mileage will inevitably vary, but the whole thing strikes me really deeply. Gotta love that over-the-top percussion at times too, eh?

Arceace your track rules man! While I might have a few reservations about structuring, I like your interp better than my own with Aquatic Ruin. AWESOME stuff dude :D Your bass mixing is getting really good too, keep up the good work

Edited by Phonetic Hero

Pete, awesome you brought up Tekken 2; at the time, the boss fight against Devil was one of the most somber final boss themes I had come across and adds a whole darkened perspective to the tournament's development at that point.

And considering another Lapfox artist (albeit Kitcaliber) inspired a track in the previous SZRC, why am I not surprised in seeing it happen again xD Not that there's anything wrong with that, but it's just amazing to see where you gain some of your influences from.

Kudos man :)

Pete, awesome you brought up Tekken 2; at the time, the boss fight against Devil was one of the most somber final boss themes I had come across and adds a whole darkened perspective to the tournament's development at that point.

And considering another Lapfox artist (albeit Kitcaliber) inspired a track in the previous SZRC, why am I not surprised in seeing it happen again xD Not that there's anything wrong with that, but it's just amazing to see where you gain some of your influences from.

Kudos man :)

That and the credits were my favorites from Tekken 2. Pete if you were such a tekken fan WHY DIDN'T WE HAVE A FEW ROUNDS AT MAG!?!? :) Trying to play smash bros ended up hurting my ego.

Here's my notes from my listen...

Tuberz McFly - Cool vocals! A bit of a timing issue at 1:08 or at least it felt like there was. The guitar part around 3:20ish seemed a bit too forward in the mix for my taste. Nice job!

Gargapocalypse - The opening reminds me of Machinae Supremacy. Nice! Good vocals! The growly vocals actually (mostly) work! Sans the growling, this reminds me a lot of Machinae Supremacy and that hits me right in the heart.

TheGitarooHero - Nifty tune. Has a great vibe. Quite solid. I don’t really have any negative thoughts here.

therexinfx - Cymbals rolls had a bit too much sizzle and could be tamed. I think some of the drum beats could have been pulled back a few samples to give it a better feel. Love the funk!

Reflexstyle - The wubwub was a bit over the top for my taste but I’m one of those people who really can’t get into dub step. So, I’m a bit biased. I personally would chill a bit on the pumping but it wasn’t too bad for my taste. Great production! Very solid! I guess a lot of my negative notes were mostly a matter of taste, eh? :) I still love you, man. <3

urweeklywater - Nice piano piece! I really love hearing this sort of stuff and is right up my alley. While it was simple and minimal, it just works.

Phonemic Hero - Nice piano intro! It sets a nice mood. It almost reminded me a bit of something from Playstation era of music. Good stuff!

ArceKing - I think the bass could using a bit of taming in the intro the the filter fade.

Reflexstyle - The wubwub was a bit over the top for my taste but I’m one of those people who really can’t get into dub step. So, I’m a bit biased. I personally would chill a bit on the pumping but it wasn’t too bad for my taste. Great production! Very solid! I guess a lot of my negative notes were mostly a matter of taste, eh? :) I still love you, man. <3

I figured there'd be a few folks who were put off by the wubbles, as I know they can be polarizing. I mostly made this track with live sets in mind, actually, as I've got a couple other songs in my rotation that are about this tempo, so they needed a buddy. :-)

Don't worry, I don't plan on relying on wubs very much from here on out. Need to live up to mah name!

Good vocals! The growly vocals actually (mostly) work!

Thank you. :lol: It actually almost brings a tear to my eye, year before last, you, Garpocalypse, and I hanging out in your hotel room at the Gaylord, doing awful attempts at death squeals and slappin' da bayuss... I don't know why GARPOCALYPSE always thinks it's appropriate to try to growl after walking and talking for 10 hours :-P

Thank you. :lol: It actually almost brings a tear to my eye, year before last, you, Garpocalypse, and I hanging out in your hotel room at the Gaylord, doing awful attempts at death squeals and slappin' da bayuss... I don't know why GARPOCALYPSE always thinks it's appropriate to try to growl after walking and talking for 10 hours :-P

Good times!

For the record you're not the only one I've asked to do that. :)