SZRC - The Sonic Zone Remix Competition 2014 [TheGuitahHeroe wins - complete ZIP available!]

SuperiorX

I think NutS might flip his shit, assuming he of course is working on something. Are you running into problems getting something done? A wip is still better than nothing!

No..... I'm just a big troll and wanted to see how many people I could trick.

Sorry guys, I'm gonna bring it (like always). :-P

Seriously I will submit something I promise. And it was a legitimate what-if question.

Edited by wildfire

Just a little over 24 hours left in this round before the Sonic Round 3 mixes are due! I hope we're all making good progress :smile:

24 hours left to vote on the Robotnik Round 2 mixes as well. There are quite a few close match-ups right now! A lot of people haven't voted in all 4 match-ups either, so please double-check your votes to make sure you've voted in all 4 match-ups so your votes count! :-o

I have a feeling I'll be working on my track right down to the wire, buuuuut if it all works out, I think it will be very interesting to say the least :smile:

Here are some brief Robotnik Round 2 reviews from me. Nice job everyone, I really enjoyed all the tracks this week!

Tuberz McGee: loving the vibe of this track. This is probably your most solid vocal work (along with 'Gotta Go Faster') that I've heard to date I think. I think you've found your calling here buddy with this pop-rock sound ;) Mixing is a little muddy in parts, the guitars especially could be punching through a little more I think, but overall this track is a ton of fun!

Garpocalypse: I was not prepared for this :P Bringing in all the big guns. Kudos to probably one of the most (if not the most) ambitious mix I've seen entered for one of these compos. Nice guitar work and nice vocal performance from Brandon! Lyrics are a little cheesey, but I completely get what you were going for and it fits the genre perfectly. Mix is a little muddy in parts (low end seems a bit heavy) and a few of the vocal line timing was a bit off, but overall hell yes, let's rock out :D

TGH: wow, what a fresh take on Death Egg zone. I would never have imagined it in this style. Mixing and instrumentation are all very crisp and the vocals are spot-on for the genre. Awesome job!

therex: that intro is so cool man, I dig it, and that initial groove you got going around 0:43 is slick. The lead there feels like it could be a bit more dynamic and punchy on the high-end, to really shine through in the mix, but it's got a cool sound regardless. Transition at 1:27 felt just a little awkward, but I really love the jazzy drums and epiano work you got going on in that section. Cool way to mix it up. Awesome job!

Flexstyle: Not much to say here. Expert execution of the genre and instrumentation. I love the arrangement too, you did a nice job integrating two iconic sources. I particularly enjoyed around 3:00 when things got pretty intense and that Chemical Plant groove got kickin'. Killer tune!

urdailywater: Oh man yes, I do love some solo piano stuff. Another nice arrangement and integration of the sources. Ice Cap suits the style a little better I think, but the Chemical Plant usage was clever and felt very poignant interlaced between the Ice Cap sections. Really nice job :)

Phonetic Hero: Really cool atmosphere right from the get-go. That piano and light airy pads played off one another really well. Build-up felt like it took a little while to get going, just given the overall length of the track, but from an atmospheric perspective you nailed it. At 1:22 when things got going I really love that panning synth you have going along with that gated-ish pad thing (whatever it is lol). The Aquatic Ruin melody sounds killer in this style too. Really cool, unique piece!

Arceace: another really high-energy track from you :D Awesome groovy bass work too. Nice breakdown section at 1:30 with Aquatic Ruin, lots of cool instrumentation and percussion going on here. Something about the lead at 2:15 felt a little off to me, can't quite place it, but it was playing a cool melody. The subsequent section was pretty groovy too. Nice source integration throughout too!

Tuberz McGee: loving the vibe of this track. This is probably your most solid vocal work (along with 'Gotta Go Faster') that I've heard to date I think. I think you've found your calling here buddy with this pop-rock sound ;) Mixing is a little muddy in parts, the guitars especially could be punching through a little more I think, but overall this track is a ton of fun!

I think I found my calling indeed. Pop-Rock it is. <3

Now is there any way I can add metal to the mix without coming off as a shitty Scene Kid Metal band?

Last reminder for those that have left votes behind:

* wch090 and TheGuitahHeroe have so far only voted in the TGH / therex matchup and need to contribute to the others for that vote to count.

* On the flipside, Phonetic Hero is missing TGH / therex in his votes.

* And Ringu Man still has Flex / urdailywater to go.

Come on, don't leave those pancakes unfinished! We're good cooks, honest! :wink:

No..... I'm just a big troll and wanted to see how many people I could trick.

Sorry guys, I'm gonna bring it (like always). :-P

Seriously I will submit something I promise. And it was a legitimate what-if question.

You're lucky I wasn't watching the site all week or else I would have had a flip out :)

Hopefully you're able to put something really nice together quickly tonight