SZRC - The Sonic Zone Remix Competition 2014 [TheGuitahHeroe wins - complete ZIP available!]

SuperiorX

and now...

it's time for the 2nd installment of...

Garpocalypse's

2cyrv2c.jpgziswgh.jpg

...commonly reffered to as the nonsensical ravings of a coked out lunatic.

...not literally.

......the coke part.

Endless Mind

Nice Groove! I like the choices of instruments in this one! That intro sweep has some Sonic The Movie vibes! I feel like the vocals, forgive my use of cliched language, don't sit well in this mix! The background vocals especially sound over reverbed! However! The remix is not without a good chunk of charm! Nice work!

Unfinished Song

Not a great title! Though I really like that lead that starts off the remix! I feel the vocals are mixed much better in this

remix! More rhythmic variation in this one as well! Though it is on the short side!

Remember my name

Quick word about vocals in music! It's been done already! Alot! Now! on with the RAGE REVIEW!! This was and still is one of

my favorite levels in Sonic 2! Some nice variations on the theme! Feels familiar throughout with the FM instruments! What is

that?! VOPM?! I never could get that thing to work!! Well!

Dank

I think the starting key lead may be too loud and the bass too muddy! Also it sounds like the lead was moused in as their

isn't much expression! If you could! Figure out a simple, cheap way to play the lead part after you write it the remix is

bound to benefit! well!

Blue Blur Your Brain

Nice groove! The vocals might be a smidge too loud at the start but otherwise it's a pretty fun remix! Some creative honking

could have been used to hide the F-bomb tho! In my opinion!

Bizarre Aquarium

Really odd remix we got here! Sounds like everyone is dying! And I don't mean that in a bad way! Not that that's a good

thing to say! ANYWAY! The drum kit that is used for the first half is not really sitting right with me! Not jivemastering! Overall this sounds

like a bunch of different ideas that were put together into a single project file. So! One might say that this isn't as

cohesive of a remix as it could have been! But I wouldn't! 'cuz I have no idea what that is supposed to mean in the first place! Dug the vibe tho!

The Underwater Citadel

Nice atmosphere! Much more waterier! I really like the washing sweep in the background! Tho I think The lead that comes in

around 1:30 sticks out in a bad way. For some reason it's sorta painful! Maybe drop around 4khz a smidge! or! Maybe down it

2 or 3 Db/LPF it to get it moved back a little!

Gaudium

awww yea! acoustic guitar! Piano sounds a little plain! Nothing really wrong with it but a little more delay and/or reverb

would have hit the spot nicely! Distorted guitars seemed to be placed really well! What did you use for the violin? I've

been looking for something that would work well for some fiddling and that sounds pretty good! I mean it's clearly not the

real thing! ...but! it works well in this remix.

Angels in Paradise

Starting off with a very conservative remix of angel island. A few liberties taken with the melody which are good. Actually

this remix kind of reminds of my old remix formula of homaging the source by keeping things conservative then progressively

getting more liberal. It's mixed well it just could use some more creative interpretation!

A Marbelous Night

Yep, definitely an Amphibious remix! ...Amphibiblious. Very relaxed and uses the sources well! Hearing some Love Hurts when

Marble comes in! Was that a reference for you or did I just listen to that remix too much?!

Crazy Marble Fun

Really looking forward to the two Marble remixes! Tho in this one! ...I had trouble finding the notes allocated to the

familiarity of Marble Zone!! Definitely skewed to the Marble Garden side of things! Not really crazy about the staccato

lead! Doesn't really Jivemaster with me for some reason! Still! You've been making some good progress Cash! Production

sounds better in every competition!

Urban Renewal

Nice use of Sonic SoundFX! The remix sounds very close to the original in a not bad way at all! Familiar instrumentation

means more liberties can be taken and not lose the source! Dug what appeared to be a small nod to Darkesword's Dream Pipe

remix around 1:50! AND BEYOONNNDD!!

Suck My Hot Metropolitan Crater

Nice introduction! Though I think it takes a bit too long to get to the point of the remix! Also! When the drums came in my

ears went to shit! How high is the gain reduction on the compressor/s?! Nice drop tho! Towards the end though I think the piano outtro was unnecessary! You probably could have ended it just fine on the drop! Nice Work! Sounding better all the time!

The Flying Drop

Great arrangement! I think the lead guitar is kind of fatiguing to listen to though in a few spots! Bass part is clear

though a little too far above the rhythm guitar methinks! Kind of an odd style change midway through! But once the guitar comes back it seems to come together! The entrance at 00:29 could use some cymbals and some more sound! Doesn't really EXPLODE enough in an obnoxious way to work as well it could! SHAMELESS SELF PROMOTION FOR EXPLOSION EXAMPLE:

Though it does sound like everything was dead center before then so it was a pretty good attempt!

I tried to give everyone their dues. If anyone would like a more seriouslier critique from me feel free to send me a PM!

Quick question: Are we able to ask advice when composing the remix? I haven't showed mine to anyone, but I feel like some stuff is sitting funny.

Having another set of ears is priceless. I always show my tracks to close friends and ask for feedback, sometimes you've worked so much in a song that stuff that sounds bad starts to sound ok for you.

Quick question: Are we able to ask advice when composing the remix? I haven't showed mine to anyone, but I feel like some stuff is sitting funny.

I always get my brother, mum and girlfriend to listen to my music

yes i have friends

okay maybe not

But yeah, honestly, a non musician can help you find things that a musician might overlook.

Many times my girlfriend has said said something silly like 'There are too many doof-doofs'

I actually found this incredibly helpful, maybe you'll find the same.

I love Gar's reviews. Everything! Ends! With! An! Exclamation! Mark!! :D

Thanks Trism!

I try to deliver reviews in a way that doesn't offend anyone after all the work they did to get something in. I know how bad it sucks to work all week only to have your remix get taken the wrong way.

Hope some get a few nyuks out of them at least. :)

Well, I had a moment to sit down with the guitar & the sources. I sort-of-learned them, and I have the general structure in my head. But I didn't manage to really fit them together, though I have an approach in mind. I really, really hope I don't end up with another sleepless night to produce a piece, which is what I did for all of my FFCC entries, which is really, really taxing. OTOH, it's a lot of fun doing it!

--Eino