OCR03618 - *YES* Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker "No Place Like Home"

DragonAvenger

Your ReMixer name: Argle

Name of game(s) arranged : Zelda: Wind Waker

Name of individual song(s) arranged: Outset Island -

Name of arrangement: No Place Like Home                                                                                                                            

This is for the WW project, On the Breath of the Wind. Crusty hiphop track with lots of 'trons and other moldy old sounds.

Nice source-teasing intro and buildup; pretty solid work. The sounds were a great mix of cool and cheesy sounds, and the scratches and such gave additional character. The mood is upbeat and sunny, and overall I was really feeling this one. I think the dynamic progression was subtle but nuanced, and well done overall. I think the ending should have ended with a flourish, rather than a record breaking buzzkill, however. It felt to me like the song was all about good times and cheerfulness, and then at the end the mood shifted to entropy and death. Seemed like a sad way to end such a cheerful song. That's just a personal preference and doesn't affect my vote, but it definitley hampers my personal enjoyment of the song a good deal.

Yes

Argle emailed me an update to this track this morning:

I'll put this in the OP as well.

(my vote is on the updated mix, which according to Argle is just some mixing improvements)

I'm loving this mix. Great sounds! Not moldy at all, haha! It all sounds fresh and fun. Some of the sounds are indeed cheesy but in such a good way. The scratches are terrific . I like the unique chord ideas you've used, nice personalization. Nice gating at 2:45! Very upbeat take on a great source.

Two complaints I have: the drum/organ groove really never changes all through the song, giving it a very stiff and quantized feel unnecessarily. I would have liked some drum variations, in particular. Also, yeah that ending is a real downer. I love the speedup intro, but the reverse of that doesn't quite have the same magic at the end.

Overall, still a winner.

YES

• 1 month later...

I've heard a few tracks from Argle now and I still feel like I haven't nailed down his personal style. Perhaps a jack of all trades mixer? He certainly seems to be proficient in mulitple genres :).

This is a fun, upbeaty mix. Beat is crisp. Overall production is solid. The little variations and effects on the transitions are a very nice touch.

Things felt a bit sonically crowded in places like 1:43 with the melodic percussion on top of the other elements, but no biggie there.

Ending felt slightly cop out-ish with the slow-down effect, but I can roll with it as an overall package.

Good stuff!

YES