Damon Campbell

(WAV download link):

User ID: 4656

Submission Info:

Shenmue (Sega Dreamcast)

A Breeze in the Night

Nightfall

Original song Youtube link: http://youtu.be/gisvHDO_pvw

I had a hard time deciding if I wanted to submit this or not. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out and I did as much as I could with the limited source material, but still, ended up being a pretty short mix. I've been getting pretty positive feedback on it, so that kinda inspired me to go ahead and send it in.

This is a chill/ambient take on the Nightfall theme. I did a little experimenting with the background pads by adding filtering and panning to make them seem breathy and swirly, kinda like the wind. I attempted to simulate an eastern/ethnic feeling with the few samples I had. Even though some of them were actually sampled from African instruments, I believe they worked out pretty good with the sound I was going for.

Hope y'all like it!

------------------------------------------

Edited by Liontamer

This is definitely nice, and it is personalized, but it's a tougher call than it needs to be due to the shortness of the mix. When judging this, I basically focused on whether or not there is enough thematic expansion in it's short duration, since everything else was definitely up to par.

I think it ends strangely, as it seems you just ended after a breakdown section rather than playing the chorus again, which seems unusual and a little underwhelming. I think Adding the flute section again with some melodic or rhythmic variation and then a nice ending would be pretty easy to do, and would make the song feel more complete. The actual 2:15 length is not the issue to me, but the way the structure seems half-completed to me is.

I enjoyed the song, but it seems like it's only about 80% complete from being finished, structurally. Other judges may disagree, but I think adding a recap of the chorus is what this needs to feel whole.

No, please resubmit

• 1 month later...

I hear what Andrew is saying about the chorus recap, and yeah longer would be nice, but I'm not finding it necessary. I think this is a lovely laid back take on the source and it is produced very well. I like the phasey swirly pads, and the flute lead is nice, string accents and falls are great. I wish the chimes had been a bit wider panned, other than that I'm good with it.

YES

• 1 month later...

Liking the relaxing take on this. Clear connection to the source throughout, but a lot of additional complimentary parts added. Good attention to detail.

Production is solid. Nice synth bass presence. Drums are appropriately laid back with good variation. More organic instruments like the flute lead are nicely implemented.

As mentioned above, the big concern here is whether this is developed far enough as a song. I can see Andrew's point of view on this, but personally, this felt fleshed out enough to stand on its own (keeping in mind the source, also, which doesn't have a lot of material to work with).

YES

My only problem with this track is that I wish it was longer. What's here is really nice: wistful mood, fine production, and some excellent ideas to augment the mostly intact melody. The waterdrop-like snare sound was an excellent, creative touch. I often wish that Damon would use better samples on his subs, but the not-quite-realistic sounds used here fit into the 90/00s R&B vibe. Really good stuff.

YES