OCR02919 - *YES* Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past 'Justice for All'

DragonAvenger

ReMixer Name:

Kelly Andrew

Kelly A Kaveny

http://www.kelly-andrew.com

userid:

Game Arranged:

Legend of Zelda: A Link To The Past (Nintendo, 1991, SNES)

Name of Arrangement:

Justice For All

Name of Individual Song(s) Arranged:

Dark Mountain Forest, Dark World

Notes:

It is my great pleasure to submit a little something to this wonderful site -- a site I have visited many times over the years and fully support. So here it is in honor of your site and Koji Kondo.

Despite the heavy "Star Wars" influence, the Death Mountain/Skull Woods theme has always been one of my favorites from the game. Since the melody was suggesting "epic" to me, I figured I'd trick this up a bit with my own epic orchestral movie-trailer style spin. Hope you like it!

--------------------

- Death Mountain

- Dark World Edited by djpretzel

The samples seem nice, but the sequencing is a little off, and the attacks of the brass feel a little weak overall. Once the drums and minor synth embellishments come in, it was solid, and the constant keychanges kept it fresh. SOme of the high string sustains probably could have used a patch with a stronger vibrato, as they feel a little exposed when played that straight, and some of the crescendos felt more studio automation than actual velocity adjustments, but overall this was exciting stuff to me; bass drop and rise was pretty well handled and fit the song well.

Overall I think this passes the bar, though the Dark world melody can be a bit obscured at times. Nice work from me. :-)

Yes

• 1 month later...

I agree with Andrew, the string (and brass) sustains could actually use a little humanization as well, accomplished by automating volume swells. Brass could indeed have stronger attacks. But overall, this is wow. That's some deep choir in the background, and those bass drops and growls are excellent. Nice work on this one, I love it.

I'm actually not hearing any Dark World at all, but there is sure plenty of Death Mountain.

YES

• 1 month later...

Very cool take on Death Mountain. The OST is quite under-represented IMO, and I'm always glad to hear more LTTP.

Andrew/Kristina make some good points on how to improve the humanization, so I won't beat a dead horse there.

Good ostenato patterns with the supporting instruments.

Volume levels got a bit hot on some of the sections to the point of possible slight distortion. For example, 1:10, 1:34, & 2:07 start pushing the envelope with the high strings coming in so hot. Just gotta watch those levels - there's plenty of good dynamics without having to push it QUITE that hard.

Great transition at 2:42. This section, while super awesomely epic, is pushing the volume/compression to the point where I'm starting to get a bit uncomfortable giving this one a nod. Thankfully, it's a relatively short portion of the mix, so I can live with it.

YES

(Note: I'm not hearing the Dark World theme either, so given that it passes, I'm not sure it should be credited)

Oooh, very cool treatment here. I'm surprised I haven't heard this song done in this style, because it's extremely well-suited to it. I think you did an excellent job arranging this, and the epicness is off the damn chart. Wouldn't have minded another section like 1:37, which was a wonderful change of pace, and fairly unexpected. The only things I could suggest for improvement are the string and brass articulations, which sometimes sound a little unnatural, and maybe adding a little more reverb to give a grander scope. Great work!

YES