Mega Man 8 Frost Man Theme Remix

djsatsui123

hey guys! I wanted to release this at least before the holiday season ended and luckily I managed to finish this in time. I'm trying to evolve my sound so I spent much more time than usual on this song and hope I did alright. I'd appreciate it if you guys check it out and any praise, feedback, or criticism is encouraged. Happy Holidays! ^^

SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/djsatsui123/megaman-8-frost-man-remix

The atmosphere you meant to go for was good, but the execution fell short of that goal, to me. Happy Holidays!

Here are some things I need to point out:

- The bells starting at 0:13 are a little bright, and it's painful to hear them.

- The snare throughout plays a very unnatural pattern and it gets to be extremely repetitive.

- The clickiness of the kick coupled with its constant double-hit sequencing clutters the mids and makes this seem like it's muddier than it actually is.

- There's a whole lot of low end muddiness from the reverb on the kick starting at 0:23, really cluttering the low mids. It's especially obvious at 1:20.

- Things get extremely muddy starting at 2:35 with the very reverbed pad and the reverbed kick. It's almost impossible to hear the harmonies there. The hi hats at 3:00 are also too loud and mechanical.

Edited by timaeus222

Well, there's definitely less reverb, but the snare sequencing still comes across as repetitive, to me, especially because the velocities are flat and mostly unchanging. Most hits are the same volume and intensity, aside from the lead-in snare rolls.

At 3:01, the hi hats are still mechanical, and every velocity on them is still the same. No human plays everything flatly, so having the velocities like that makes it sound like a robot is playing it. Also, the sequencing is very fast and the same sample is used throughout, so that adds to the robotic playing. If you listen closely to this at 0:33, it may help you with sequencing hi hats.

Edited by timaeus222

Kick has a lot of reverb and it kind of eats a lot of space. Bass and snare suffer from that.

The mood of the remix is quite cool though, I like the synths you picked. For bass you should try a sample that has more legato between the notes.

As timaeus pointed out, the drum is very weak in sequencing. Snare and hi hats sound very mechanic, with the snare in particular doing quite a weird rhytm job.

Overall, the synths are cool and along with the arrangement you managed to create a nice mood. Drums just need a more focused sequencing along better mixing and you'll have a pretty cool song!

(If you also make a proper ending instead of a fade out it'd be cool too :razz:)

what kind of confuses me about the Kick having excess reverb is that i have the reverb to set to around 6%. I didn't realize that soo little could end up having such a big impact.

Well, conventionally, kicks don't get reverb in electronic music unless it's done really carefully. Otherwise you get lots of undesirable low end ambience.