OCR02803 - Chrono Trigger "Oh, Traveller from an Arcane Land"

djpretzel

I couldn't agree more about the "kneejerk reaction" in response to dubstep. Dubstep was a niche genre that became too spread-out and over-used, and now there's an automatic "bleh, dubstep!" reaction because of how over-saturated and over-mimicked the genre has become.

The understandable bit of negativity comes from dubstep as a clusterf*ck of soundbite sampling, distortion, and synth with no discernible method to the madness. In pieces like this, however, there's nothing negative about the use of dubstep. In good dubstep, it's more than just synthesized chaos. This arrangement takes the source material and creates a unique and excellent song through the use of dubstep elements. This is definitely dubstep in a good way.

YES! This is how dubstep should be! Heavy, in-your-face, NO siren-like sounds, no senseless repetition, no corniness, tasteful sound design, clean production, and tight (enough) drums. Dat silent kick at 0:49.

A large portion of the arrangement is a direct repeat, but other than that, no major complaints from me. This kicks butt.

Edited by timaeus222

I don't have many issues with regular crazy, chaotic dubstep when done right, because I have heard chaotic dubstep done right, and it's nice to go hard sometimes. However, I actually do prefer this kind of tamer dubstep, where it focuses more on the melody of the ReMix and only dubawubs to get the appropriate gritty or synthy sound and electronic buzz going in the arrangement. Adding rather than just distorting. Very clean, not headache inducing, and uses dubstep ideas without going the "let's just grind it to dust and see what happens" route. Not bad, Homeslice.

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR02803 - Chrono Trigger "Oh, Traveller from an Arcane Land"