OCR02807 - Super Street Fighter II & Street Fighter II "Stepping Out"

Liontamer

Man, why do so many people treat the 909 snare like a sufficient power snare on its own? :? Layer that bad boy!

The dubstep portions didn't really do it for me not because I have anything against dubstep, but because the wobbles were pretty transparent due to the phaser-like effect on them and pretty thin due to the choice of filter used. The way he worded his writeup, NutS seemed to be really hyping up the dubstep, so naturally I was expecting a lot. The big pitfall of many dubstep tracks is the over-usage of the same wobble sound throughout much of the track, as is the case here IMO. Ah well. I get the feeling this mix was really old, and I think these days he could have done better.

The arrangement suffered a bit from the intent of dubstepping our brains out. Other people may like this track more, but it just didn't do it for me subjectively, sorry. :|

Edited by timaeus222

timaeus, that isn't a 909 snare. And yes, it's a layer of 3 different snares. Likewise, there's no phasing or flanger effects on any of the bass sounds, it's all bandpass/low pass/notch filters.

Okay, although that's what it sounds like to me---a 909 snare, mostly. A similar-sounding snare was on TGH's Secretive Terrors ReMix, but to me it worked there because it was thwappy and noise-gated. Just personal taste and context though, nothing more.

And I did say "phaser-like", with the reservation that I could have been wrong. This WAS your first foray into dubstep, so with this being your first, it IS still quite good. Anyways, I know these days, almost 2 years later, you CAN do much better and I believe you've improved a LOT, so I'm looking forward to what other future subs you have in store. :)

Edited by timaeus222

For a first go at dubstep, this is pretty good, I gotta say. I think you did a decent job of weaving in and out of Cammy and Ken's theme, especially right in the middle at about 2:05 and on. It's awesome how often two SF themes seem to blend together naturally. SFX were added but not overused, and you balanced dub with melody, all in all, not bad at all. Obviously, things are there that will be picked at, but as a listener, I enjoyed it.

• 1 year later...

All right, found a dubstep arrangement in my December Reviews Month playlist that sounds great. The arrangement was already great, without having the beat drop, and the original sound clips were cleverly used and incorporated into this track. I even love the “uuugaaahhhh” sound at the end. Great work.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR02807 - Super Street Fighter II & Street Fighter II "Stepping Out"