ReMixing With the Stars: Season 2, Episode 4: The Need for Speed!

MindWanderer

Download Now!

Got yours, BrothaDom, a minute under the wire.

I thought I added this to the submission rules, but apparently I forgot. Can I get source links from each of the participants, preferably YouTube? Hollow's in particular was a little obscure. Edit: Got Hollow's, and Esperado's was given by name, but it's been a while since I played Pokemon RGB.

Edited by MindWanderer

Yeah, sorry about that...stuff got crossed, etc. Next time I'll be sure to start earlier :sleepdepriv:

Pallet Town - http://youtu.be/cOWRNLaCMJg

And a small line from Route 1 - http://youtu.be/u0G12EBW4KY

Intro from Pokemon Red/Blue - http://youtu.be/C19O5xm51dk

Does this help?

Edited by BrothaDom
Forgot the intro link

Results!

1. First Place: "Cruisin' the Docks" by Esperado feat. timaeus222, with 24 points.
  2. Second Place: "I'm your huckleberry" by Hollow feat. evktalo, with 18 points.
  3. Third Place: "Spectrum Path" by BrothaDom feat. Argle, with 16 points.

Esperado and timaeus pull off a flawless victory, earning a first-place vote from every voter. Voting was close on BrothaDom and Argle vs. Hollow and evktalo: of the five votes placed by everyone else, three favored Hollow and two favored BrothaDom.

Good round, everyone!

RMWtS will be taking February off, due to the SZRC, and will resume in March, once 3/4 of the Sonic competitors have been eliminated.

Esperado's track should definitely be considered for subbing.
Agreed, but there's something just a little unpolished about it that I can't put my finger on. If it's already as clean as timaeus knows how to get it, I think it could stand a mod review before submission. Someone else may be able to articulate the off vibe I'm getting from it (unless it's just me).

Great job guys! You all put in a good effort, despite some meet-up/convening complications. :)

Yeah, if you can tell me what it is that's feeling a bit unpolished in the mix, MindWanderer, I'll look into it. As it is, I'm not really hearing an issue, besides the buildup to the guitar solo feeling a little bit under-bassed. I forgot to upgrade the bass sound there, but other than that, I'm unsure what else there is to do.

If I or Esperado were to put it up for Mod Review, I think Rozovian would be the guy to give fitting crits since he's a dedicated sound designer.

I think my beef is that the reverb doesn't seem to be consistent. In 0:13-0:30, with the sweeping "landscape" pad, the piano here sounds oddly like it's in a small, padded room. The subsequent section is similar, where the individual instruments don't seem like they're all in the same "place" (the bass sounds more shallow than the lead, especially). Might be the reverb levels, or some EQ that's swallowing some critical harmonics. I suspect EQ, because both the piano and the bass sound fine elsewhere.

oi, thanks guys! ill have to look at the project file. im not sure what might be causing the eq problem. In regards to things not sounding like theyre in the same place, how would you go about fixing that? IF in fact it is not the EQ, do you just use a single reverb, put it on a send and route each channel that needs reverb into it?

oi, thanks guys! ill have to look at the project file. im not sure what might be causing the eq problem. In regards to things not sounding like theyre in the same place, how would you go about fixing that? IF in fact it is not the EQ, do you just use a single reverb, put it on a send and route each channel that needs reverb into it?

I'm overhauling my knowledge of reverb. Which has never been great. But what you described would be more blending reverb used to make it sound like different instruments are being played in a similar space. Kinda like if you and a bunch of friends all played a different instrument in your house. They would all have their unique sound but the sound of the room would sort of blend everything together a little.

EQ'ing the reverb is usually a good idea to keep things from getting uncontrolled. Though most reverb plugins have their own filters to shape the reverb and that might be enough if you use it well.

Congrats on the win!

I think my beef is that the reverb doesn't seem to be consistent. In 0:13-0:30, with the sweeping "landscape" pad, the piano here sounds oddly like it's in a small, padded room. The subsequent section is similar, where the individual instruments don't seem like they're all in the same "place" (the bass sounds more shallow than the lead, especially). Might be the reverb levels, or some EQ that's swallowing some critical harmonics. I suspect EQ, because both the piano and the bass sound fine elsewhere.

Those are entirely different pianos; The first one is Esperado's sample because I couldn't isolate it from the stem, and the one in the next sections are my sample playing the exact same notes his was playing. Personally I'd consider that just a simple nitpick, and not exactly crucial to a Judge decision.

Those are entirely different pianos; The first one is Esperado's sample because I couldn't isolate it from the stem, and the one in the next sections are my sample playing the exact same notes his was playing. Personally I'd consider that just a simple nitpick, and not exactly crucial to a Judge decision.

i mean we could always fix that part by only having one of the pianos playing?

I'm overhauling my knowledge of reverb. Which has never been great. But what you described would be more blending reverb used to make it sound like different instruments are being played in a similar space. Kinda like if you and a bunch of friends all played a different instrument in your house. They would all have their unique sound but the sound of the room would sort of blend everything together a little.

EQ'ing the reverb is usually a good idea to keep things from getting uncontrolled. Though most reverb plugins have their own filters to shape the reverb and that might be enough if you use it well.

Congrats on the win!

thanks! i saw that reverb trick in one of Grahams 5 minutes to a better mix videos. Ill definitely have to try eqing verbs, i think i had that problem in alot of my older mixes too.

I agree with MindWanderer, I found the early piano a bit stuffy and dry. Taking a little out of the mids and and upping the reverb would be cool.

why cut the mids? i thought you wanted mids to be more prominent on lead, if anything?

im not arguing, i just like to know the reasoning behind feedback, it helps me remember things.