Brutal Mario - Super Mario Bros theme gone black metal

Flavien Morel

Hello ! This is my first post here, I just discovered this site. I hope I'm not doing anything wrong !

I started a youtube channel focused on video games musical covers. Mainly in a kind of progressive rock / metal style.

Anyway, I covered the Super Mario Bros theme... Since it's been done to death, I did it with a twist, I rewrote all the harmony and melody to give it a truly evil and mean sound !

Man this is super cool awesome. You should definitely submit it. Is there a download for this?

Thank you very much ! No, as I've said, I'm a newb here, I'm gonna have to look at the submission forms & all that stuff. I haven't put the mp3 online yet ;) but I guess I'll have to think about it, a friend of mine just asked me the same thing.

I only had time to listen to this once on my good headphones (I'm vacationing), but I did wanna mention that you should go back over the mixing on this. There's significant muddiness that is covering up the source usage, where the rhythm guitars are a bit too loud in comparison to the lead guitar and there is low-mids clutter. I can barely hear the kick sometimes. As a result, I strongly believe you would get called out for loudness at this current state of the mixing. :) Also, you may receive nitpicks about the lofi pad synth at 0:49.

A metal mixing resource

Edited by timaeus222

timaeus is right. This track is really, REALLY loud and the parts are not clear. It makes it difficult to hear the source usage. It sounds like you have some cool stuff going on (I am clueless about metal), but the song just sounds smashed, muddy, and loud.

Perhaps bringing the volume down some and doing some EQ cutting like timaeus suggested would clear it up. I'd like to hear what you do with it. This is a creative take on a timeless theme that has been done over and over and over.

It's a refreshing style for the source. Just don't blow my ears up!

Yeah, the rhytm guitars are eating the rest of the instruments too much. It's hard to figure out what the organs/strings are playing. By the way, the string sample seems very bad!

In any case, you transformed the song nicely to black metal. So if you fix the mixing I'm sure you'll have a very nice song! How you incorporated the Underground theme is great!