Final Fantasy III - Battle!!!

Drums could use more punch, they sound like you cut all the lower frequencies. But then again, the problem could be in the samples, so you may try looking into some drum libraries (here's a list of some free ones: http://bedroomproducersblog.com/2010/06/24/free-sample-shootout-2-acoustic-drums-full-kits/, you'll need a sfz player vst to open most of them, I suggest this: http://www.cakewalk.com/Download/sfz.aspx or this: http://www.plogue.com/products/sforzando/).

I'd suggest adding some more pads to fill the sound, this sounds pretty empty right now. Fake guitars aren't much of a problem, but you could try to humanize the instruments a bit, there are some awesome remixes that feature fake guitars, like

or
:)

Yeah I plan on recording a real guitar track (Lead and rhythm) and maybe bass track for the finished version, this is just a "This is what it will be like" Work in progress.

The drums on the other hand, I don't own a set, so I'm looking through all the links Hakstock Sent me, Hoping that the end product will sound as close to perfect as I can make it.

as for the Bell Synth sound which is just default HX-7 EP FG on Harmless, I hope to make a better sounding synth based off the sound itself.

BooBass

It's pronounced "boob ass" because that's what it sounds like. :lol: And Slayer is about the most insulting name they could have given FL Slayer.

BUT! I will disagree with timaeus on one point... it isn't "not bad"... it is in fact fairly bad. But with some improved samples, maybe a guitar library you pay for or a live guitarist you ask to perform, you might be moving towards making some progress. It's a cover right now and that's not what OC ReMix is about.

A good starter drum library is Addictive Drums, but I saw decent pricing recently on Slate drums. The bottom line is if you want to make metal remixes, you will need to compromise in some area and have good samples and live performances. You can get away with using sequenced guitars like Shreddage, and maybe even sequenced bass like Trilian, but people can tell -- if you're forced to use too many sequenced instruments, you gotta make sure they are as high quality as humanly possible.

If possible, it'd be better to have live guitars, and sequence the rest but improve their sample quality a lot. You can get by with that kind of setup. Even outside of OCR, you will need to do this. This isn't purely OCR-based advice. Making these improvements will help you -everywhere- you post the music at. I do wish you the best of luck and hope to hear your future improvements and WIPs!

It's pronounced "boob ass" because that's what it sounds like. :lol: And Slayer is about the most insulting name they could have given FL Slayer.

BUT! I will disagree with timaeus on one point... it isn't "not bad"... it is in fact fairly bad.

Haha, that's me being nice, and giving the benefit of the doubt. :) Everyone starts somewhere, and this wasn't that far below where I was in my first few months. I used fake guitars too, but I actually amped expressive synths with Guitar Rig instead, and even fooled a judge somehow. :grin:

Edited by timaeus222

Well, it's not too bad for an early remix. Know this, though, the road to producing amazing sounding music is a long, arduous one, so let me give it some lovely constructive criticism that may significantly improve your sound (outside of the obvious suggestion of using better samples, or performing live - FLayer is nearly a sin, 'round these parts).

Arrangement-wise, it's both very conservative and not sticking to the source enough. Weird that it's possible, I know, but on the one hand you hold true to the structure, yet on the other I notice many cool details in the source that are not present in this version, and this track is worse for it. At 0:03, for example, the bass climbs with the melody, where in the source the bass actually drops in half-step against the melody. It's your track, and it's always up to you what to keep and what to change, but in this case the change makes the track sound boring in comparison to the original, which because of that small detail sounded very interesting. There's a lot of detail like this that's simply missing in this that made the original so damn interesting - take a look at that source again and really take an analytic ear to it and listen to it critically - you might find a whole lot that you want to incorporate.

Aside from the need of better samples, you can make better use of the drums by balancing it to the point where that bass is forward enough in the mix to act as a foundation for the song. Listen to other rock/metal tracks on this site for examples - listen to where the drums sit in those mixes, and do your best to give your drums a similar sound. In time you'll find a balance that sounds right to you, but in imitating other's sounds you'll learn a great deal about how to balance drums and instruments in a song so that it sounds balanced.

Moving on to the soundscape, moments like 0:25 are moments that one should avoid - it's very hollow. Even if it's just a pad, if there is music in that space of time, it shouldn't feel like it's completely empty save for an instrument or two. Obviously too much is a bad thing, as well, but listen to other songs posted on the site for some examples of soundscapes that sound consistently full, as you might learn a few good tricks for keeping the soundscape just right.

I'm always happy to hear people starting off in music, and this is a good, healthy start to your music-making. I'm a little harsh in this crit, but I do want you to see where you should be shooting for, so don't worry too much about it. I hope this helps you out, and good luck with the mix!

Thank you to everyone for the advice, I am currently working on making this alot better.

And as a reply to the constructive Criticism:

The Reason I posted this was not to show people a song, it was to let other (More Experienced) People take a look and to tell me what they all think.(So In Actuality, Cast all your ultima's Guys, It will only tell me what I need to improve!)

And thanks to you guys who have already pointed me into the right directions, as I said, I'm still working on this and I have almost no experience in making things of a good quality on a computer, So looking up alot of the things you guys have pointed me to has really helped.

Cheers!

At 0:03, for example, the bass climbs with the melody, where in the source the bass actually drops in half-step against the melody. It's your track, and it's always up to you what to keep and what to change, but in this case the change makes the track sound boring in comparison to the original, which because of that small detail sounded very interesting. There's a lot of detail like this that's simply missing in this that made the original so damn interesting - take a look at that source again and really take an analytic ear to it and listen to it critically - you might find a whole lot that you want to incorporate

Thank you so much for pointing this out, Gave it a relisten and am currently editing the bass track, And realized the bass did sound silly on my part.