E-MU 1212 Headphone monitoring problem

-RK-

So, I just installed both cards, got the drivers installed along with patchmix DSP and all the software goodies, and got everything registered.

The problem is that, there are two 1/4" outputs, and, a pair of headphones has one way to input them. This creates an odd situation for panning, and honestly, I've never had to deal with this problem before (Soundblaster Live only had one easy input). So, Depending on which output I use, the panning get's royally screwed up, and I've been reading the included material and messing with Patchmix DSP, but I cant figure out how to utilize the "stereo headphone jack" that E-MU specified as one of the features. To put the problem simply, everything sounds as if it is centered, and there is no left or right channel.

Sorry if this is a noob question, but when it comes to decent soundcards, I guess I am one. And I hope the amount of information given is sufficent enough to help you help me. :lol:

Thanks in advance, especially for putting up with my ignorance.

when it comes to decent soundcards, I guess I am one.

!

Well, usually, it's Left/Mono, and Right. Just putting the plug in the left one gets you monaural sound, therefore, your problem. I've seen signal splitters but not the other way around, but isn't there a headphones jack also on that thing?

If not, I think there are two-pronged headphones you can buy :) or maybe your speakers have a headphone jack in them.

I wish mine did :(

when it comes to decent soundcards, I guess I am one.

!

Well, usually, it's Left/Mono, and Right. Just putting the plug in the left one gets you monaural sound, therefore, your problem. I've seen signal splitters but not the other way around, but isn't there a headphones jack also on that thing?

If not, I think there are two-pronged headphones you can buy :) or maybe your speakers have a headphone jack in them.

I wish mine did :(

Well, I dont own a pair of speakers, there is no specific headphone jack on either of the cards, and, to put this better, whichever of the two outputs I put it in (left or right), the panning seems to be "biased" to the one side. By that I mean, If it's in the left output, turning panning to the left simply makes the volume sound louder, but doesnt actually adjust the instruments position in the stereo space, and vice versa for the right output.

So... yeah. I might need a splitter, but if there's a better solution, I'd love to know about it.

I spent a couple of weeks trying to solve the exact same problem with my 0404. Between Radio Shack and my guitar store I couldn't get adapters that would do the trick, so I ended up grabbing a cheap Behringer mixer. I'd suggest either getting one or putting the output through one if you already do. Just make sure to subgroup it so the signal doesn't get sent back into your computer while you record...

I spent a couple of weeks trying to solve the exact same problem with my 0404. Between Radio Shack and my guitar store I couldn't get adapters that would do the trick, so I ended up grabbing a cheap Behringer mixer. I'd suggest either getting one or putting the output through one if you already do. Just make sure to subgroup it so the signal doesn't get sent back into your computer while you record...

Thanks man.

I DID think of that possiblity, but honestly, if I could avoid spending more money, that would be excellent. I know alot of people here use E-MU cards. I'm just wondering if any of them are able to monitor with headphones without using external equipment.

it does. if you have the audiodock (ie: 1212M or 1820M). audiodock ftw.

Yeah, no audiodock for me. I bought the classic 1212 (because I thought I was saving money :cry: ). Being 16 and poor sucks. But yeah, I went and just picked up a Behringer UB802, and it works perfectly, good flat sound, everything works fine. Thanks all for responding so quickly to help me solve this problem.

Thanks again.

Ross

Hell, i had the same problem a few weeks ago - only with stereo output to my speakers. If i get a behringer mixer, can i input an 1/8th inch M stereo jack (from the speakers -> pc) into it? Cause EMU's all like "we dont know when the chord will be back in stock"

Not directly, as all the connections on the UB models are 1/4". The "Phones" jack is stereo so all you would need is a 1/8" to 1/4" adapter - any decent electronics/music store will have those coming out their asses.

I'll mention this again though, since I ended up buying a mixer and having to take it back for a bigger: Unless you get a mixer with subgroups you will not be able to send your computer mix out through it while recording, as that mix would just end up going right back in with whatever signal you're recording. The UB1204/UB1204FX are the smallest ones Behringer has with this feature - a fair bit more expensive than an 802 but I'm quite happy with mine.