OCR03028 - *YES* Super Castlevania 4, CV: Lords of Shadow 1 & 2 'Oblivium Sempiternum Daemonis'

DragonAvenger

ReMixer - RoeTaKa

Name - Alex Roe

Website - www.alexroe.co.uk

UserID - 9374

I am unsure of the file size policy so please let me know if that is an issue. 192Kbps was smaller than VBR1 and if you would allow a higher or lower quality I can provide that.

Games Arranged - Super Castlevania IV, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2

Arrangement Name - Oblivium Sempiternum Daemonis (Lords of Shadow Arrangement)

Songs Arranged -

(Primary) Super Castlevania IV : Konami Logo, Vampire Killer, Beginning, Bloody Tears,

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow: Various (main motif recurs in many songs) however I was mostly referencing from the song 'The Warg'

Casltevania: Lords of Shadow 2: The Titan (E3 trailer song - https://soundcloud.com/oscararaujo/oscar-araujo-castlevania-lords)

Game info -

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow

Composer - Oscar Araujo

Systems - Playstation 3, Xbox 360, PC

Soundtrack Link - Castlevania: Lords of Shadow:

Comments:

Been a long time hasn't it? Although I contributed to some OCReMix albums I never submitted those songs because I just wasn't that confident in them. It's been nearly 4 years since I've properly remixed something like this. For a while now I've just focused on writing original music when I've had the time and the odd project like Shnabubula's SNESology. This arrangement of Castlevania has been on my mind ever since Lords of Shadow was released and I still listen to its music constantly. What would some of the classic Castlevania songs sound like in Oscar Araujo's orchestral style? I tried to interpret these songs in a way that they are still recognizable but also seamlessly feel like they could have been in the game.

• 1 month later...

What is the little piano flourish at the beginning? Cute, but...?

This is a REALLY well produced orchestral track. I'd love it to have a bit more low end but other than that, there isn't much I can critique here. (Ok the choir sounds a bit fakey starting at 2:51) Really nice arrangement, production and mixing. Sounds just a touch medley-ish, but the arrangement is cohesive overall.

But how the heck do we judge source use? How many sources are even here? I count six in the submission info, but that playlist has 20 videos in it. Can we ask him for a source breakdown?

edit: my vote is a YES as long as it has enough source...

Edited by Chimpazilla

• 2 weeks later...

Piano flourish at the beginning is the Konami logo from the snes era jingle. I agree it's cute, but not sure how it fits into the piece as a whole. I'll consider it a gamer easter egg and leave it at that. :-)

The transitions are pretty good, and while the more exposed choir parts are a touch weak, the piece has a lot of energy and feeling to it. I do think all the different themes were well integrated as a whole and it feels like a single cohesive piece, with some nice cameos from some very familiar melodies, mixed with some new source materials.

Really enjoying this one, nice work!

Yes

• 1 month later...

Great orchestration. The panning is a bit hard; doesn't sound realistic. You've got those violins left and horns right, which is where they are supposed to be, but they are all verbed out, and in an orchestra the reverb will be all the same for every instrument, and nothing is going to actually sound so hard-panned. Nitpicking.

To be honest I loved the first half more than the second half, not because the second half is worse, but this is 6.5 minutes of high-energy dramatic writing. I think you need a soft section or two, cause listening to this track gets exhausting. For this reason I don't see myself listening to it again, but I definitely appreciate the intricacy and execution. Maybe in the future think more about overall dynamic.

Yes