Gym Leader Tribute - Now Recruiting - Need Kanto Claims and vocalists M/F to contribute!

btw Facebook autoconverts most images to JPG so it's best to find other sites (like imgur) to upload to.

Yeah, I noticed that before I tried to upload the file. Thankfully, my deviantart account, which I woefully neglected, didn't have that problem so I will start uploading there instead. Didn't think to go there first considering art is their forte.

The font I used for the bottom text is suppose to be the same text used in the FR/LG games. I believe "pixel-centric" was something I was initially aiming for. Figure it would go well with design since is was nice and compact.

If it looks wonky or fuzzy, I could change it to something else. I was going to use the text seen in the original Red/Blue games but it ended up being too long and it just looked odd. I'm trying to keep the design "Poke-centric" as you can tell. :)

Yeah, it was looking fuzzy there, but that's really the only reason why I pointed that out. (And pixel-centric just means the characters in the font are made with lines of one pixel thickness.)

So I took a second look at the sig and didn't like it. So here is what I have made instead.

gym_leader_tribute_misty_by_the_bacon_thief-d77u20i.png

Figured Red/Blue would be a better color choice and removed the text saying the gym leaders name as it really isn't needed with the picture. Also added the one Pokemon they are most likely to use in battle. Gives it a nice touch, I think. Also make one of Iris for the hell of it.

gym_leader_tribute_iris_by_the_bacon_thief-d77u2l4.png

Thoughts?

Also to anyone that already has expressed interest to this project, do you want me to put you down for the Gym Leader that you are thinking about doing?

Nice and simple, I like it. Maybe the side of the gym leader can have a non-solid-color background? e.g. an actual landscape-esque background. Maybe you could even use map graphics from the actual game?

I see what you mean. Not sure what would be better, the region map or the town that the gym leader is from. I'll see what I come up with when I get out of work tonight.

Maybe worry less about the sigs and more about the album? :P

Point taken. I just wanted something for the first post as just plain text looks a little bland.

Legit. Dude, are you going out of your way to contact people about whether they would like to be involved or not?

*slaps own forehead* You know, that never crossed my mind when I started this. I'm a terrible marketer... I need to fix that.

I've been reading through bits of the thread for the Xenogears album. It started off REALLY rough (with a handful of detractors immediately condemning it to failure). There are some good things to consider in the first few pages, and some encouragement knowing that the directors saw it through to fruition. I think it's safe to say that both of them, and Avaris in particular, willed that project into overcoming some long odds. And being any less persistent than they were is the most likely way to see this project fall short. But some passion, talent, and vision can offer great results.

Best of luck!

I've been reading through bits of the thread for the Xenogears album. It started off REALLY rough (with a handful of detractors immediately condemning it to failure). There are some good things to consider in the first few pages, and some encouragement knowing that the directors saw it through to fruition. I think it's safe to say that both of them, and Avaris in particular, willed that project into overcoming some long odds. And being any less persistent than they were is the most likely way to see this project fall short. But some passion, talent, and vision can offer great results.

Best of luck!

The age of that thread showed when they were calling sixto a n00b lol :tomatoface:

But yeah, Jesse's right. You have a good project concept for a very well loved game series, so you're in place for a stellar remix album, if you're willing to work your tail off. I'd suggest finding a co-director with a bit more star power around here to convince some of the better remixers to join. You've done a pretty good job at getting organized, but what's your expected timeline for this project? Someone like me with a lot of stuff on their plate might be willing to take a claim if the end date is a year or so instead of six or eight months. The more organized and professional your project looks, the more legitimacy it will actually have. There's no need to micromanage stuff like sigs or track names until you have a solid base of remixers. Remember, it's the music that makes the album, so the majority of your time should be finding and pursuing people you want for your album to make it the best it can be.

Sorry to write a whole paragraph at you, I really am excited for this to start, and I think once you get the ball rolling it'll be a hit.

Best of luck!

Yeah, this needs to be like... stickied to the front page of Recruit and Collaborate, because hell it's some grand advice.

Definitely some sound advice from you guys. Anything is much appreciated. :)

Going into this, I didn't really do my homework on project production, mostly because I'm not really aware of the behind the scenes aspects of any project that is released on OCR. I don't really know the length of time the idea is pitched to when it gets released to the public or the activity being focused on by directors or others not directly making mixes. That part of each album release is obviously absent.

That being said I definitely need to switch gears and focus away from micromanaging to do the things necessary steps towards recruiting. What is said so far is being heavily considered on what I should be doing to get the ball rolling.

So far the only star-dom I have is people liking bacon. ;) To add to that, I definitely think popularity of the franchise may also have an impact of those wanting to contribute. If I had said, "There should be a Code of Princess album project!" people will be like, "What the heck is Code of Princess and why should I bother to remix music from it?" Chances are people are less likely going to help in that regard.

Urdailywater, when I listen to Slateport City, I always think it's a bit Christmas-y. It does have a cheery mood to it and the beginning part of the track has a Christmas feel.

Also. Darkesword, I don't know if you are serious about making a Twitch Plays Pokemon album (It definitely didn't seem like it in the recent OCR talkback. :) ) I just think the whole Anarchy vs. Democracy thing would be better in compo form. You know, a democracy bracket and a anarchy bracket. Just my two cents that I'm not really sure where to put it. And no, I'm not running that thing. I don't think I'm qualified to run such a thing. Someone else can take that idea an run with it. You have my blessing on that (or the helix fossil's, whatever you prefer).

What you should in terms of recruitment is focus on getting really good vocalists. These people don't necessarily have to even be good arrangers or producers; just put the call out for good vocalists with good recording equipment. OCR has its fair share, but probably not enough of them. There are a lot of talented amateurs all over the place; YouTube/SoundCloud/etc. I can help you with outreach if you need, via social media accounts, etc. Just put together your requirements first.

Once you find some, you can then pair them up with talented arrangers here at OCR and we can proceed from there, i.e. source selection, lyrics, etc.

A fully vocal album is going to be heavily scrutinized; far more so than other traditional albums. We can't settle for vocal performances that are just decent or good enough; we have to shoot for nothing less than perfect. This means we have to turn a critical ear towards all of the material we get, and really focus on things like breath-control and pitch-control and a whole load of other stuff that actual vocalists (i.e. not me) can tell you about.

we have to turn a critical ear towards all of the material we get, and really focus on things like breath-control and pitch-control and a whole load of other stuff that actual vocalists (i.e. not me) can tell you about.

I sang for 6 years in regular choir in middle school through high school, and in jazz choir for a year. I've gotten and seen people lectured on breath control and pitch quite a bit, so we're in good hands so far! ;D

What you should in terms of recruitment is focus on getting really good vocalists. These people don't necessarily have to even be good arrangers or producers; just put the call out for good vocalists with good recording equipment. OCR has its fair share, but probably not enough of them. There are a lot of talented amateurs all over the place; YouTube/SoundCloud/etc. I can help you with outreach if you need, via social media accounts, etc. Just put together your requirements first.

Once you find some, you can then pair them up with talented arrangers here at OCR and we can proceed from there, i.e. source selection, lyrics, etc.

A fully vocal album is going to be heavily scrutinized; far more so than other traditional albums. We can't settle for vocal performances that are just decent or good enough; we have to shoot for nothing less than perfect. This means we have to turn a critical ear towards all of the material we get, and really focus on things like breath-control and pitch-control and a whole load of other stuff that actual vocalists (i.e. not me) can tell you about.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "putting together requirements first". Do you mean vocal skills or the details about the album idea?

The help is very much appreciated. Networking is unfortunately not one of my strong suites. However, I have no problem with directly speaking with people to invite them on this project. Writing is one of my strong suites.

I definitely taken what you said about the vocal album being heavily scrutinized to heart. It definitely will be at the back of my mind during the process.

Right now I'm thinking I might need a co-director but I might be over thinking things.

I'm still going to focus on the Kanto Region first. Only 10 gym leaders and the possibility of Red and the Elite Four. A decent size album. I have a rough idea who I will pursue so if anyone has suggestions on someone that could contribute either vocally or as a arranger just PM me about it. I will obviously be doing the heavy lifting.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "putting together requirements first". Do you mean vocal skills or the details about the album idea?

I think Darke means the required vocal talent of the people you seek out, but the details about the album idea are pretty important too.

i.e. Are they aware of the qualities they convey while they sing (sibilances, fricatives, loss of breath in the middle of a phrase, smooth eliding, breathing in loudly, etc.)? Is their pitch tight enough? Can they read sheet music or do they sing by ear (collaboration ability)? Do they know basic music theory (communication between you and them)? Can they improvise or do they have to think about basic music theory to write out a part (workflow)? Do they have good recording equipment? A good, well-treated recording environment/studio? Do they have the time to contribute?

Edited by timaeus222