Gym Leader Tribute - Now Recruiting - Need Kanto Claims and vocalists M/F to contribute!

I think Darke means the required vocal talent of the people you seek out, but the details about the album idea are pretty important too.

i.e. Are they aware of the qualities they convey while they sing (sibilances, fricatives, loss of breath in the middle of a phrase, smooth eliding, breathing in loudly, etc.)? Is their pitch tight enough? Can they read sheet music or do they sing by ear (collaboration ability)? Do they know basic music theory (communication between you and them)? Can they improvise or do they have to think about basic music theory to write out a part (workflow)? Do they have good recording equipment? A good, well-treated recording environment/studio? Do they have the time to contribute?

Thanks for clarifying! The details definitely help.

Still wanna put my hat in the ring for doing some kind of collab with someone. I do rap vocals, but that certainly wouldn't have to be all (or even most) of the vocal stuff.

This is legit probably the best thing I've ever read on this forum. <3

I laughed way too loud.

Not even sure if it was deliberate, but you're the man. <3

That's great...I was going for the laughs heh.

I'm still going to focus on the Kanto Region first. Only 10 gym leaders and the possibility of Red and the Elite Four. A decent size album. I have a rough idea who I will pursue so if anyone has suggestions on someone that could contribute either vocally or as a arranger just PM me about it. I will obviously be doing the heavy lifting.

Have you started contacting people/gotten responses back?

Just had an idea... my first real crush as a kid was on Misty from the show...

and it totally makes me wanna do a love song from Cerulean City. For fun.

I'm very good with words (and poetry according to a literature professor who I don't know... long story), so lyrics are no problem. It's just arranging anything from the original Pokemon games seems like a big challenge.

Do the lyrics have to like epic battle songs about the gym leaders? If so then I can think of something else.

I'm very good with words (and poetry according to a literature professor who I don't know... long story), so lyrics are no problem. It's just arranging anything from the original Pokemon games seems like a big challenge.

Do the lyrics have to be like epic battle songs about the gym leaders? If so then I can think of something else.

I don't think so? I think the idea is to tell their story, which is something we don't really learn about when we play the games. We only really experience the protagonist's story, and sometimes part of our rival's as well. This album (I think) is supposed to reveal the people behind the badges

I'll put a tentative claim on Lorelei (but if Sabrina's available I can take her instead). I haven't listened to the sources in a while so I might change my mind.

What sources would I use if I did choose an E4 member? Don't they all share the same music?

Oh and anyone who wants me to be their vocalist, just let me know, I'm up for pretty much anything!

Do the lyrics have to like epic battle songs about the gym leaders? If so then I can think of something else.

I don't think so? I think the idea is to tell their story, which is something we don't really learn about when we play the games. We only really experience the protagonist's story, and sometimes part of our rival's as well. This album (I think) is supposed to reveal the people behind the badges

Anorax put it quite elegantly. Yeah, this is more about the Gym Leaders story. She could be singing about being in love but it's going to be about her doing the singing.

Also, I'll point it out before anyone else does. If you made a love song to MIsty, it may come off a bit creepy. Because you know, she is 10 or 12 years old in the anime (No idea what her age is in the games). Just letting you know.

I'll put a tentative claim on Lorelei (but if Sabrina's available I can take her instead). I haven't listened to the sources in a while so I might change my mind.

What sources would I use if I did choose an E4 member? Don't they all share the same music?

Oh and anyone who wants me to be their vocalist, just let me know, I'm up for pretty much anything!

Lorelei is part of the elite four so I'm grouping them together with the rest of the Elite Four. Their themes is the Indigo Plateau and Battle vs. Gym Leader theme.

Sabrina is available and the source I chose for her is the Silph Co. theme since Sapphron City shares the same theme as Pewter and Viridian City. (I wanted to move away from reusing the same sources again and again.)

I made a spreadsheet on the first page to make it easier to listen to the source tunes, so look over them when you have the chance.

Oh, and welcome aboard. :)

Lorelei is part of the elite four so I'm grouping them together with the rest of the Elite Four. Their themes is the Indigo Plateau and Battle vs. Gym Leader theme.

Sabrina is available and the source I chose for her is the Silph Co. theme since Sapphron City shares the same theme as Pewter and Viridian City. (I wanted to move away from reusing the same sources again and again.)

I made a spreadsheet on the first page to make it easier to listen to the source tunes, so look over them when you have the chance.

Oh, and welcome aboard. :)

The sheet says Silph Co. and Saffron City for Sabrina, so does that mean I use both? I'm a bit confused since the city theme is used in multiple locations.

But since Sabrina is available (and Silph Co. is an awesome source), I'll go with her. I'll probably need some assistance on lyrics at some point too.

The sheet says Silph Co. and Saffron City for Sabrina, so does that mean I use both? I'm a bit confused since the city theme is used in multiple locations.

But since Sabrina is available (and Silph Co. is an awesome source), I'll go with her. I'll probably need some assistance on lyrics at some point too.

The Saffron City part is only optional since it's a carbon copy of the Pewter and Viridian City Themes. It's up to you if you want to include it or not.

I've been out of these forums for waaaayyy too long and I'm itching to get back in the swing of things. I'm a lyric writer and singer and I'm also the director of the Majora's Mask Musical project (just putting that out there). I am a tenor but have enough range to sing Bass and Baritone. I don't having anything current of my work out yet, so here is a

. I'd be down for any gym leader, so if someone has an idea and the music I can supply the lyrics and the vocals!:nicework:

Anorax put it quite elegantly. Yeah, this is more about the Gym Leaders story. She could be singing about being in love but it's going to be about her doing the singing.

Also, I'll point it out before anyone else does. If you made a love song to MIsty, it may come off a bit creepy. Because you know, she is 10 or 12 years old in the anime (No idea what her age is in the games). Just letting you know.

I always forget that. She always seems a lot older in the games in anime. Like a lot older. I think it'd be funny still, cause it wouldn't be a serious love song of course :P. I wouldn't be able to do that without laughing at myself. But forget it anyways since that'll just go off-topic..

That idea of her singing about being in love would only make sense by the second game when she has a boyfriend or something there. Still it could be done in a better fashion anyways. The anime gave her a tough personality so she probably wouldn't sing about something so cheesy.

I've been out of these forums for waaaayyy too long and I'm itching to get back in the swing of things. I'm a lyric writer and singer and I'm also the director of the Majora's Mask Musical project (just putting that out there). I am a tenor but have enough range to sing Bass and Baritone. I don't having anything current of my work out yet, so here is a
. I'd be down for any gym leader, so if someone has an idea and the music I can supply the lyrics and the vocals!:nicework:

All righty! Welcome aboard! :)

Edited by BaconProcurement

Broseph. I'll lend some vox. I'm always down for helping my main man Ethan. <3
*raises hand* Same here. Those sources are lovely. (As always, just reminding that I'm available. Not being pushy)

You two were actually the people I had in mind <3

When I get something substantial I'll let y'all know

I always forget that. She always seems a lot older in the games in anime. Like a lot older. I think it'd be funny still, cause it wouldn't be a serious love song of course :P. I wouldn't be able to do that without laughing at myself. But forget it anyways since that'll just go off-topic..

That idea of her singing about being in love would only make sense by the second game when she has a boyfriend or something there. Still it could be done in a better fashion anyways. The anime gave her a tough personality so she probably wouldn't sing about something so cheesy.

Even though it is in the second game it's still something to poke at. You can still play with both the lovey aspects of her character along with her toughness with the lyrics. With Misty, you have a lot to work with since she is a pivotal character in the anime. Personally, I would lean toward toughness as Gym Leaders act as an obstacle towards the player but again it's ultimately what you have in mind.

You two were actually the people I had in mind <3

When I get something substantial I'll let y'all know

I've gotta say I'm scared now.

I'd love to lend a helping hand to this project in some form or another, but I'm not sure how at the moment.

Huh. Looking through the gym leaders and I notice there is not one for Dark types?
Say for Fuchsia City Gym, it could be a duet between Koga and his daughter Janine.

There isn't any Dark type gyms unfortunately. Only three members of the Elite Four specialized in Dark types; Karen (Gen 2), Sidney (Gen 3), and Grimsley (Gen 5). There is a fairy type gym leader though.

The duet could definitely work. But for now I want to keep Janine and Koga seperate for the time being. I'll consider the duet idea if no one claims either of them or one gets claimed over the other when the rest are claimed.

Right now the sources I picked out for Koga was Viridian Forest (because you get poisoned there a lot) and for Janine is Lavender Town (all the ghost pokemon in gen 1 are also poison type). Since Fushia City is the same song as Cerulean City's, I figure some variety is in order.

From my experience working on my own large scale vocal focused project: Tear's of the Moon, it can be really difficult to organize lyricists if you don't stay on top of them. I agree with what others have been saying with pairing up vocalists with experienced musicians, but if neither of them have any clue about the lyrics then we run into problems. This is something I've been struggling with for a long time now. It would be better to, once you have some, pair the lyricist first with the musicians and then bring in the vocalists. Again this is my suggestion and I'm not the greatest example of success here, but I think it would be a good idea to keep everyone on the same page.