Question regarding NI "Action Strings"

HoboKa

There's a really good (and long!) tutorial/discussion of how to use the library

I have Action Strings but haven't gotten a chance to install yet. (Next week, maybe.) If there's been no discussion in this thread by the time I've actually had a chance to get into the library, I'll try to remember to bump with my first impressions.

There's a really good (and long!) tutorial/discussion of how to use the library

I have Action Strings but haven't gotten a chance to install yet. (Next week, maybe.) If there's been no discussion in this thread by the time I've actually had a chance to get into the library, I'll try to remember to bump with my first impressions.

sweet thx for the link...hopefully someone here HAS used it and can give some feedback. Maybe KVR is my best option then..

It is super duper easy to use. You just set up the patterns you want on the front of the interface, and switch between them using key switches. So fun! I love it.

As for creating your own, I haven't tried that... I don't think you can do that actually, but there are so many combinations there I don't think you'll need to create anything else!

It is super duper easy to use. You just set up the patterns you want on the front of the interface, and switch between them using key switches. So fun! I love it.

As for creating your own, I haven't tried that... I don't think you can do that actually, but there are so many combinations there I don't think you'll need to create anything else!

Alright...then I guess I'll have to grab something else later on that does allow me to do my own writing. This is too tempting to overlook >_<

Action Strings actually *can* let you create your own phrases. You simply do so by using the keyswitches. Every single basic short rhythmic patterns can be found in Action Strings, and subsequently stitched together to create some real natural sounding results. Here's a track using Action Strings.

http://soundcloud.com/omni-psyence/divide-and-conquer

Action Strings actually *can* let you create your own phrases. You simply do so by using the keyswitches. Every single basic short rhythmic patterns can be found in Action Strings, and subsequently stitched together to create some real natural sounding results. Here's a track using Action Strings.

http://soundcloud.com/omni-psyence/divide-and-conquer

Yeah, the keyswitches were a pain to figure out how 2 use, but I think I've got it handled. Cool track, sounds professional :3

I was considering getting action strings when NI had their sale around my birthday in september, but I didn't. I felt the phrases would take away from my ability to naturally come up with stuff. Incidentally now though I'm interested in action strikes because I find it difficult to come up with varied orchestral rhythms.

I was considering getting action strings when NI had their sale around my birthday in september, but I didn't. I felt the phrases would take away from my ability to naturally come up with stuff. Incidentally now though I'm interested in action strikes because I find it difficult to come up with varied orchestral rhythms.

I thought that before I bought it and used it. I'd say that Action Strings is more suited for creating interesting string rhythms rather than an interesting melodic line. I use the Solo String patch in the factory library to do that.

And I may be stating the obvious here, but even leaving aside issues of melodic creativity, Action Strings doesn't have sustains, which means that it would be really hard to use it as a workhorse strings library without a traditional sample library to back it up.

Yeah I figured that one out after messing around a bunch. Still, there are many useful applications for this software...I'll need 2 grab something more 'komplete' pun intended. Also, dat Da Copa still looks very tempting :<

I thought that before I bought it and used it. I'd say that Action Strings is more suited for creating interesting string rhythms rather than an interesting melodic line. I use the Solo String patch in the factory library to do that.

I'm definitely getting that vibe, and it's something I didn't want to write off immediately so I've been watching other people work around with it.

It's definitely meant more for rhythms than melodies but it's still nice to have and even better if you have a 61-88 key midi controller the key switches are a little far apart (don't think you can move them) so there is wasted keys between the key switches and where the strings start

here is a track i just made with the action strings plus some manipulation.

https://soundcloud.com/astro-stasis/terror-mask

the strings start about 2:28 mark.