OverClocked Records, the official OCR record label! 8bitX radio show + New blog!

zircon

Hey Mak, right now there is no tag system. That's something I would not mind adding... let's put it on the list. The front page will have rotating categories for people to check out, of course.

Overall, there is no genre preference. I think you will see a lot of chiptune and 8bit stuff simply because that's popular right now, and a lot of people are making it. Our criteria is just (a) good music, AND (B) made for a video game, OR © made by a video game composer / remixer.

Thanks!

So if I(for example) am a remixer and I want to release my original album(not VGM related), OCL is the way to go?

Another question. Probably off topic. I want to cover 16bit game OST with real instruments and I want to officially release it. Problem is rights owner. If can't find any info about them(Virgin/westwood). So the question is: it''s my own problem or OCL can/will help? I think could be interesting for others too.

I'm assuming "no", with the possible exception of OCR's first commercial remix album (selling remixes is a dangerous thing to do without said remix(es) being officially licensed by the initial copyright holder)

I guess there's the possibility of those being remixes of other people's original non-VGM tracks. Then contacting them is at least easier.

Thanks!

So if I(for example) am a remixer and I want to release my original album(not VGM related), OCL is the way to go?

Another question. Probably off topic. I want to cover 16bit game OST with real instruments and I want to officially release it. Problem is rights owner. If can't find any info about them(Virgin/westwood). So the question is: it''s my own problem or OCL can/will help? I think could be interesting for others too.

Yes, if you're interested in releasing an original album, send it to us and we will consider it for addition to the catalog :)

We aren't working with licensing covers / arrangements yet... maybe in ~6 months or so.

So there will be no remix albums/EPs/whatnot for sale on OverClocked Records? Did I get that right?

Currently, no. But that is a long-term goal, as long as we can properly license stuff.

I'm assuming "no", with the possible exception of OCR's first commercial remix album (selling remixes is a dangerous thing to do without said remix(es) being officially licensed by the initial copyright holder)
Capcom is awesome that way, and give a lot of support to fan remixers. I know they officially sponsor Mega Ran, and they're certainly aware of all the other Mega Man bands.

Covers and remixes are an interesting legal area. Interesting tidbit I got from Tommy Tallarico: at the first Video Games Live concert, they did One-Winged Angel performed by an improvisational pianist and 3 operati. It was pretty bad (especially having just followed the More Friends concert, a few blocks away and a week or two earlier, which did One-Winged Angel with the L.A. Philharmonic Orchestra and Choir and the Black Mages). But the reason they went with such a crappy arrangement was that SquareEnix refused to give them the rights to the orchestral arrangement.

I'm not sure what the legal distinction is there, but apparently there is one.

Good read, thanks for posting Mr. Zircon. I'm working on my next album which will be released on a couple of other labels, non-exclusive, so I presume I'd still be eligible for my album to also be released on OC Records as well (granted I submit it and it gets the thumbs up by the OC Records team)? Or am I missing some 'fine print'?

I'm very satisfied with OverClocked Records so far. I just picked up five albums for less than 25 dollars, not bad.

I bought all of Joshua Morse's Waveform albums, WillRock's Welcome to the Real World, and Jillian Aversa's Origins. And all for a reasonable price. I'm looking forward to picking lots of great music in the future!

We've also got NEW ALBUMS up today and more coming this week - check out the featured slider at the top!

http://overclockedrecords.com/

And if you missed it, we also posted an artist interview & spotlight with Mr. Jimmy "Big Giant Circles" Hinson whose new album The Glory Days is coming out soon.

http://overclockedrecords.com/overclocked-records-artist-profile-jimmy-hinson-aka-big-giant-circles/

I have a couple questions I'm confused about.

OCR Records is currently "by invite-only, but also non-exclusive". What does that mean? It's closed but open at the same time? I'm not criticizing at all, I just don't understand what that means.

Also, I've been seeing records on there that were also released on different labels, like Ubiktune. How does that work exactly? Did the artists pull them from other labels to go into that one or are you paying that 80% to the labels?

Thank you!

I have a couple questions I'm confused about.

OCR Records is currently "by invite-only, but also non-exclusive". What does that mean? It's closed but open at the same time? I'm not criticizing at all, I just don't understand what that means.

Also, I've been seeing records on there that were also released on different labels, like Ubiktune. How does that work exactly? Did the artists pull them from other labels to go into that one or are you paying that 80% to the labels?

Thank you!

It's invite only, i.e. beforehand, we approve all of the artists & albums made available.

It's non-exclusive in that artists are not required to exclusively sell their albums on OC Records, they can sell them on whatever services & sites they'd like. 80% of the revenue from albums sold on OC Records goes to the artists, which others don't or won't do.