Elder Scrolls Online Beta

Wiesty

The game is boring. It's nice that the combat feels better than it did in the previous beta though. I feel they need to pepper the mess out of it before it feels fun. Also the character models are terrible. For a game that is costing 200M to make, you'd think it would look better than it does. ESPECIALLY if they want people to pay the subscription fee for it.

The game is boring. It's nice that the combat feels better than it did in the previous beta though. I feel they need to pepper the mess out of it before it feels fun. Also the character models are terrible. For a game that is costing 200M to make, you'd think it would look better than it does. ESPECIALLY if they want people to pay the subscription fee for it.

Yeah, I've been seeing screenshots of the Argonian characters (I always, always play as Argonian), and they look like crap. Not sure if they look better in-game or what (what with not being in the beta, nor being an MMO fan), but...

They really, really don't want details of this game coming out to the public. I have never seen such draconian measures being taken during a beta. Couple that with the very sporadic beta testing schedules (which is more of a server stress test than anything), the release in 3 months, and the fact that they're selling it for $60 with a monthly subscription fee in addition to a microtransaction shop, and you can tell the whole thing just reeks of cynicism.

I have no interest in a game like this. TES was/is a great singleplayer experience, and it's unbecoming of the IP to see it reduced to this.

My thoughts as well. Many years ago adding a social element to a TES game would have been great but MMORPG's have become so anti-social lately that it's tough to see the point in this.

I've talked with a few close friends who are in the beta and all feedback i've received is overwhelmingly negative. They did a 'watch us play' video to showcase the engine a few months back too, It looked abysmal to me. I have to say, this is looking to be a gigantic flop before we even get into pricing models.

Edit: Here's the link to the footage. It's old, but yea... Skip to 6:30 and watch the combat unfold.. :(

Edited by k-wix

Well I wouldn't go that far...but it isn't as great as I'd hoped. It feels like you're playing an elder scrolls game...which is great. If they can implement some strong crafting/housing systems I think it will take off. The crafting system already seems pretty solid. They seem like they will have a bit of an open pvp system in cyrodil, which would be awesome...Graphics and game play wise, it is very close to skyrim.

It feels like you're playing an elder scrolls game...which is great.

Not really. This game is pretty much the definition of a mediocre theme park MMO. The content is extremly gated and offers you no freedom to just wander off on your own like in the other TES games. For the first few levels I was herded to 2 islands where I had to go through quest chains to let me off them. Then I got to Daggerfall on the mainland, so I tried running off to see what the rest of Tamriel looked like. But nope, hit an invisible wall when I tried to do that.

The TES-style combat is very superficial and really does nothing to move away from the typical MMO combat feel. Clicking manually to attack and block merely places the burden of autoattacking on you, since the latency and lack of collision detection makes it feel nothing like the combat of a single player action RPG (not to mention that you don't have to aim with bows or magic staves). It's not even up to Morrowind standards. And of course you're not free to attack whoever you want like in the other TES Games. Just the mobs respawning out of nowhere in a typical MMO fashion.

And then there's of course the magic which isn't divided into offensive damage from destruction, utility from alteration and so on. I tried a templar character and all offensive spells were typical holy-based stuff. It was for all intents and purposes ye average fantasy paladin and I think the TES lore/atmosphere overall made a point of moving away from that with more a ambigious magic system.

Edit: Here's the link to the footage. It's old, but yea... Skip to 6:30 and watch the combat unfold.. :(

Wooooow, that looks terrible. Graphically and animation-wise. Did that bow-wielding rogue try to shoot an arrow at the player while facing away from them? Why are the animations so hilariously and cartoonishly fast? Why does the close combat look like it plays even clunkier than Skyrim?