PRC262 - Results! - A Controversal Quest (Time Twist: Rekishi no Katasumi) + Flimbo's Quest)

Bundeslang

The People's Remix Competition 262

PRCv11-02

Hello everyone and welcome to the People's Remix Competition!

After the great anniversary round, PRC261 took place. Evktalo and OneUp managed to get a song in and OneUp claimed victory. He and DZComposer selected a source for this round.

Here is my pick for the source for PRC 262.

The source is the main theme from Japan-only game Time Twist: Rekishi no Katasumi De on the Famicom Disk System. This obscure game was never localized due to both the FDS not being available outside Japan and the fact that the game dealt with subjects that would be deemed highly controversial, especially in the US. The end boss is actually the baby Jesus possessed by a demon. From what I understand, the plot follows a boy who tries to use some dark magic to get a girl to love him, but doing so causes a demon to appear and body-swap with him. To get his body back, the boy must go back in time and prevent the demon from changing history. I haven't played it myself because I cannot read Japanese and knowing Japanese is crucial to playing the game as it is largely text-based.

The music is by Hajime Hirasawa, more known for his work on Star Fox on the SNES.

I did a small bit of cleanup on the MIDI, but I did not put a lot of time into it so my apologies if it isn't very easy to work with. It was originally converted from an NSF dump. Finding a source for this was proving difficult, so I cut these files myself. The MP3 is a direct feed from NotSoFatso playing the before-mentioned NSF dump.

MP3:

http://dzcomposer.com/misc/timetwist-prc.mp3

MIDI:

http://dzcomposer.com/misc/timetwist-prc.mid

Here is a YouTube from the game, though I couldn't find one with just the music so there are sound effects in this:

http://youtu.be/Ks8LCqx_IW8?t=2m31s

I recommend only using this to evaluate whether or not you want to submit an entry. Working from the MP3 is probably the best idea.

I've chosen a song (I don't know how to label it, some say it's a loader)from the great soundtrack of Flimbo's Quest for C64. It's a fantastic tune and actually one of my all time VGM favorites, I can't believe it hasn't been remixed on OCR yet!

http://www.vgmusic.com/music/computer/commodore/commodore/Flimboloader641.mid

Remember that you can't hotlink files from that site

PRC262.jpg

Source 1: Time Twist: Rekishi no Katasumi (FDS) - Main Theme

MIDI

MP3

Youtube

Wikipedia

Source 2: Flimbo's Quest (C64) - Loader

MIDI

Wikipedia

ThaSauce link: Click here to submit.

If anyone has problems with registering or uploading the song to ThaSauce, please upload the song somewhere else and post a download link in the thread. I recommend Soundcloud. Remember to have a download link to the song, so I can upload the song to ThaSauce.

GOOD LUCK!

PRC instructions

1. Limitations at ThaSauce require your entry to be 20 MB or less in size. Length for length's sake and MIDI rips are not allowed (only as Bonus Mixes). If anyone has problems with uploading songs to ThaSauce let me know (in this thread) and post a download link to your song in this thread (so I can upload it to ThaSauce).
  2. Entries must be posted in the ThaSauce link by MONDAY January 20th 2014 at 10:59 am ThaSauce time: check my signature (below) or the ThaSauce page for the exact time left.
  3. You may enter as many mixes as you like and work with as many people as you like on each mix. You are free to create a second ThaSauce account for that, it's needed to be able to upload a second remix. You can also post the song in this thread if that doesn't work. Then I'll make sure it works.
  4. Do not make qualitative comments on an entry until the results of the vote have been posted in this thread.
  5. Mixers cannot vote for themselves but if they vote they recieve a free first place vote added onto their score.
  6. The winner of this round may select the source for PRC263..
  7. The winners of PRC261 and PRC262, DZComposer and OneUp, both can take part by remixing the others source. Other participants only need to remix one of the source. Remixing both songs in one mix is encouraged but not necessary.
  8. You can find the full rules list at this page as well.

Doulifee's PRC Archives! For information about the previous contests.

PRC

Edited by Bundeslang

I'm so sorry, my computer broke a couple of days ago so I have had that and other stuff on my mind. I guess I still should pick a source? I'll probably do it in a couple of hours.

No problem.

You can still pick a source. If you can do that within a few hours I'll add it as source for this round. You can also submit later, then I'll add it to the next round and make PRC263 a double source PRC.

Dude! that's always the same dilemma I'm in XD i wish there was an option to participate but let someone else choose so you can participate again. Besides my picks are always the worst and they never bring people in.

Interesting point. I might consider to give you the option to not pick a source, but let someone else (or me) do it (I could look in the Requests Forum to pick a source if I'm out of inspiration), resulting in that you are allowed the round after the round you won. Of course you are still allowed to pick a source (and submit a bonus mix in that round). The risk of this is that nobody wants to pick a source anymore and I get to pick a source every time.

I'll think about this for the coming day and let it know when voting starts. OneUp, if I would implement such a thing, does your entry still counts as a bonus mix?

Interesting point. I might consider to give you the option to not pick a source, but let someone else (or me) do it (I could look in the Requests Forum to pick a source if I'm out of inspiration), resulting in that you are allowed the round after the round you won. Of course you are still allowed to pick a source (and submit a bonus mix in that round). The risk of this is that nobody wants to pick a source anymore and I get to pick a source every time.

I'll think about this for the coming day and let it know when voting starts. OneUp, if I would implement such a thing, does your entry still counts as a bonus mix?

I kinda like the idea that a composer can't win more than one competition in a row (except for in special occasions like this round), isn't that encouraging for people to participate? I don't know. Also I've found some sweet new VGM when I've been forced to find new sources.

What do other people think about this?

Since people seem to encourage it and that it's eligible (which I didn't know), I'll make it a normal entry. Regardless of what you choose to do with the rules Bunde :) So you can change the description of my entry, since I can't delete or edit, to "Such ambient. Much soft. Wow.

I've incorporated a bit of my own source in this."

Edited by OneUp

Hey guys!

Just submitted an entry...

It's been a long long time since my last PRC, but I saw Sir Nuts' awesome mix on Facebook and I had to get in on this. :)

It's good to have you back man! I added you because I was talking with Sadorf about all those excellent songs you submitted to ORC back in the days (Like Castle in the Sand) and how you basically disappeared afterwards XD.