Round eight: Donkey Kong Country 1: Winky's Mines

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRW2fqKwilpci5ci9U8k8M3gpiBmsvhX1W2AsI81C8UNUORxYrANg

Midi

Starts: 13/01/2014

Ends: Friday 24/01/2014 2PM

Vote Ends: Sunday 24/01/2014 8PM

Submit your remix Here when completed.

MISSION STATEMENT

The goal of Compo:MnP is to promote that "meat and potatoes" conservative approach to remixing: this includes the mood and composition of source tunes. It is up to the remixer to create their own personalization, or to simply give it a sound upgrade. Moreover, the compo is a great opportunity to hone your remixing skills and give video game music the respect that is due. A modicum of originality is recommended, but not required.

All competitors and voters must adhere to the rules stated within: Competition Code and Conduct *

MnP Instructions

1. Slight alterations of the source are encouraged, but not required.

2. Covers and Sound Upgrades are permitted.

3. Stay relatively close to the source's mood and notation. Refer to the example tracks for reference.

4. Any genre is acceptable, so long as you can still capture the source tune's mood and a good chunk of the notation.

5. Submissions must be at a maximum of 20mb (keeping in step with ThaSauce's file size max).

**I will state the voting rules at the voting stage, so as to keep the rule list here as small as possible. I'll also relax the rules on qualative statements about your own works, because frankly, it seems impossible to prevent it from happening anyways, but I would humbly suggest that you try to exercize some discretion about said comments on yours or other people's tracks.**

Example Tracks:

FF7_SonOfChaos,

SMW_Monstrous_Turtles,

Hitman_Contract_Cleaner,

MISC/TIPS

- When picking a source tune, make sure it has a MIDI to make ppl's lives easier.

- In-game sound FX are permitted, so long as they don't comprise the whole track (i.e. replacing entire MIDI tracks with just sfx)

- Certain sad or moody source tunes don't have drums or percussion for a reason. So keeping it that way may be the easiest way to retain much of the original feel, such as

and

MnP

Edited by HoboKa

I gotta say; I'm having real trouble getting along with this one.

Well, if you want a pointer, try to focus more-so on the pipe/flute melody and bassline. Those weird arpy-things are more for the atmosphere and the mix wouldn't suffer too much if you left them out. The intro also has a weird pitch-bend effect, so I won't hold it against you if you decide to leave that part out as well :<

Basically, if you just look at flute/pipe melody and the bass they are very simple and very 4/4 friendly, so I know you can pull it off :3

I think you should have a link to the original track as well as the midi. I'd tried to search for it myself on YouTube, but there are no track there called Winky's Mines, so I had to compare them to the midi. (This is one of them:
, Life in the Mines)

Yeah sorry about that, got lazy this round. Could be because the turn-up has been sort of lackluster of late. Not giving up yet though :tomatoface:

EDIT

Oh wayyt we got us a submission w00t! I'm so happy :3

Welcome to the Voting Stage!

There is no vote that counts twice, since there were no participants last round.

There are 2 contestants this round, so voters please leave the third spot empty and DO NOT vote for my remix since it's a bonus.

Participants: your votes are worth 0 since there were only 2 people - but the first-place voting bonus still applies. Leave the other 2 slots empty.

**Participants may not vote for themselves**

Edited by HoboKa

Awww shit. I let this one go flying by without doing anything. Damnit.

I'll vote when I get home from school, hope to hear how you guys did!

You are forgiven :tomatoface:

Also, I edited the voting rules so as to be more specific with said rules.

Luckily both participants are compo veterans so they know their stuff ;), just gonna be using this for future reference to keep things running smoothly.

Edited by HoboKa

There were also some dissonant notes near the end.
Ooo, very nice arrangement from Liquidwind. Some of the notes are off, but other than that it's a pretty solid submission

not as interesting as Liquidwinds track, but it IS more tonally correct

I attempted some key trickery there that was probably out of my league as a total theory noob. Correct me if any of this is wrong(again, Ima noob), but the original was in G dorian and later parts of my mix are in G minor...I think where I really fucked up was when I tried to use the original melody with different accompaniment, I thought it might be interesting but it doesn't sound very good. I'm curious what parts were especially bad for everyone else. The one part where I did think it worked was around 3:30 when the bells first change, I liked the tension this created for that particular moment but I didn't feel it as much when the strings and flutes come back in

May have been a little over ambitious given the compo theme to begin with <_<

Sorry if my review was a tad short (a little more than tad), but I wasn't really feeling verbose and was mostly posting from objectivity instead of turning a critical ear like I probably should have.

One question for Gario that's been bugging me for the past 24 hours or so - the saw(?) arp, how did you make it? It sounds pretty filtered, and almost physically modeled. I have a freebie VSTi that has a physical modeler for several orchestra instruments, and this sounds similar to one of the model settings

I heard one sour note at 4:22, and the bell arp starting at 4:44 felt off, too.

Pretty much what I thought, those parts revert to the original tonality while the rest of the song is now in a different key at that point. Just wanted to know for future use

And personally, I think there's no such thing as being too ambitious ;)

15 minute breakcore mix that barely has any resemblance to the source incoming :tomatoface:

Sorry if my review was a tad short (a little more than tad), but I wasn't really feeling verbose and was mostly posting from objectivity instead of turning a critical ear like I probably should have.

One question for Gario that's been bugging me for the past 24 hours or so - the saw(?) arp, how did you make it? It sounds pretty filtered, and almost physically modeled. I have a freebie VSTi that has a physical modeler for several orchestra instruments, and this sounds similar to one of the model settings

Hmm, well I didn't do any real modelling of the instruments - the arp is simply a combination of a sine wave and some sort of 'basic analog' synth (which I don't know the composition of). The saw I have in the pads are pretty much just that - a layered saw synth. There are some delays on them for effect, though.