Learning Cubase for a digital audio class. Any tips?

I didnt see an offical cubase thread like the other apps had so I'm taking my chances and making one!

I'm taking a digital audio class and using cubase on macs with some pretty nice midi pianos. I'm loving this app so far, it's just a lot to soak in...

only been taking the class for two weeks but I've got a good grasp on the interface and how things work. We've mostly been playing around with midi but will be moving on to effects, sampling and other things later.

was wondering if anyone had any tips? must have VSTs? (can probably search a few threads for those) or anything else that is good knowlege to have for cubase.

thanks!

First... there is no "official Cubase thread", cause the "majority" thinks, that there's nothing like that needed, not to mention that this board is mainly aimed at "Fruity Loops" and "Reason".

*to those who don't get it, that was sarcasm!*

Second...

Cubase exists for years now, and also has the most different forms, names and the like. If you can tell us which version you use, we might give you more detailed hints.

Third...

Speaking of hints. Your question is pretty general. But if you have a specific question, some of us Cubase users might be able to help you a bit better.

we're using SX3 (on macs if that makes a difference). depending on how much I get into cubase I may invest in it (though will cost me an arm and a leg).

I know it was a pretty genereal question, theres just so much to the program. I just dont know where to start with it. I'd be happy with some sort of tutorial site where I could just try out effects and get a better understanding of what they do and how the application works with them.

yes I am a newb :D I havent had that much experience with digital music other then just dinking around FL/Reason. I understool FL pretty well and reasons rack totally boggled me. cubase makes sense to me, I just like the looks and feel of it all. Im just clueless as to what to do with it besides basic midi and step editing.

I just need a place to start. a site, book or direction to go. I'm sure after I get a few projects under my belt things will fall into place and I'll know the right questions to ask. if that makes sense...

The best guide in my opinion is the "quickstart guide" bundled with SX3 (it's a PDF). If this doesn't help, the best tutorials I found for Cubase SX3 are from ASKVideo.com - 3DVDs, very cheap and they cover everything from the basics to some more advanced stuff. (the videos are in QT, so it runs fine on a Mac).

Or you try to find something on the internet. A good start might be this page:

http://www.sx-tutorials.de/

Though it is aimed at SX1 and it's in german. But very detailed in terms of screen snapshots.

YOu might also get some answers at www.cubase.net , the official boards. But here you need a USB Key number or your posts will all be locked. You need to be registered unfortunately and the support is also meh (at least at the moment). However you can still read all sections, even without being registered at their boards.

If you have more specific questions, just ask. But I really advice you to read at least the quickstart guide of Cubase first.

First... there is no "official Cubase thread", cause the "majority" thinks, that there's nothing like that needed, not to mention that this board is mainly aimed at "Fruity Loops" and "Reason".

*to those who don't get it, that was sarcasm!*

It's not really sarcasm when its true. There are like 4-5 Cubase users on the forum. You'll find more help in already Cubase-centric forums.

It is odd that so many use Reason and FL, but whatareyagonnado? They are good apps.

There should totally be a P5 sticky so I can discuss the merits of the groove matrix with myself.

Cubase users, Unite! :)

oh....

wait...

no one is out there. :oops:

Hey, there are more of you out there then there are Logic users around here. And like SGX said, if you really want to talk about Cubase that bad, there are far better forums to do so. No point in whining about the FL and Reason majority here... again...

Also, another place you may want to check out is the Cubase section of the OSX Audio forum, since you're using it on a Mac and all.

Then you sure didn`t get all conversations in the last couple of weeks/months regarding "what sequencer to get" and "Cubase help needed". They mostly turned into flamewars that Cubase is crap, and the user should switch. I'm not writing names here, but those I mean know what I mean.

And can we get back on topic please? Thanks.

Then you sure didn`t get all conversations in the last couple of weeks/months regarding "what sequencer to get" and "Cubase help needed". They mostly turned into flamewars that Cubase is crap, and the user should switch. I'm not writing names here, but those I mean know what I mean.

And can we get back on topic please? Thanks.

You see, you can't shoot out something like this:

Nah I'm sure he ment the noobs are loving this stuff.

And expect everything to be all "la dee da" :roll:

It is odd that so many use Reason and FL

I think by "odd" you mean "because they're more attractive in features-per-buck".

I happen to think P5 is as good of a value or better than Reason and FL for the price (especially for beginners), but no one else here is using it. Meh. It makes sense though, its not a big name, and is much newer to the game. Orion never gets ANY mention in here either.

I should expand upon "odd." It isn't really odd because it makes sense. FL and Reason have been around for a while and have been good software for both beginners (which there are a lot of around these parts) and for experts.

http://www.ocremix.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=2359178#2359178

-steve

PS: That said, a cubase/nuendo sticky would be nice.