Sonic 3 - Icecap EDM

ellywu2

Hello,

Something I've been working on. I had, in fact, finished the whole song - prior to FLstudio eating it of course :(

This is what is left, will finish and tweak. No mastering/minimal mixing so far.

Also, it's Icecap. I've never tried this song before - why not.

Enjoy!

https://soundcloud.com/ellywu2/ice

Edited by ellywu2

Hm. Well, what it sounds like right now is that you have a concept going, and a skeleton written, but I would prefer more variation in the wobble timbres to polish the concept. Right now lots of them are being reused in the same section repeatedly. The electro house section sounds like it wants to be big, but the repetition of the same wobble sound and pattern causes that section to not convey that. The dubstep breakdown wants to be big, but its repetition and simplicity downplay the intensity. This sounds like what you were going for, basically.

Edited by timaeus222

Timaeus, as usual, hit most of the important stuff already!

Personally, I would work on the 'wobble' used throughout the song, as it sounds very thin and background-y.

The Electro part has some sub-bass that goes way loud, it makes everything else sound incredibly weak in comparison. You can see exactly where it goes loud by the huge spikes in the waveform. I would dial that back a bit, and the same goes for the half-time breakdown bit, a lot of bass is good for energy but too much can drown your song!

I think the intro is a lot longer than it needs to be. It's extremely repetitive and slow up until 1:15. The wobbles at 1:45 are pretty rad. No problem there, with some panning and mastering, this will be pretty darn hot. The part at 2:30 would make a nice momentary breakdown before going back into more action at 2:45 -- too extended as an ending right now, pretty similar to the issue I had with the intro. I don't think the arrangement is going above and beyond where it needs to yet -- the wobbles are sweet, but there's not too much expansion of Icecap itself during the meat of the song.

Not even commenting on mixing and mastering since you pointed out that they aren't done yet -- anyway, great start and I hope you keep working on it! I know Ice Cap is done a lot, but nobody will complain about having an awesome new EDM Icecap.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Have gone back to the drawing board - I really hate standard dubstep wubs, so have tried something else. It's really, really early days, but enjoy. Also, the snare leading into the drop needs to be isolated more - I need to cut reverb off the build.

https://soundcloud.com/ellywu2/wip-icecap-electro-house

If reverb is off in a packed build, it could just mean it's slightly off in all other places where it seems to sound good because it's not so busy, and that how much it was off was more noticeable with a bunch of instruments crammed into a build. So then, if you were thinking of automating down the wet mix in the reverb for just the build, you *could*, but my suggestion is to just try lowering it in general, and listening again on a fresh morning.

I don't know how ironic this sounds, but headphones that I've tried out have mostly been pretty soaked in reverb. I literally progressed from "some" to "lots" to "a bit too much" to "just right" amounts of reverb. So then I'd advise comparing reverbs between headphones and seeing which pairs are drier, if you have more than one pair.

Edited by timaeus222