Legend of Zelda - Song of Storms

Blodeuyn

Hey everyone!! Below you'll find the link to my re-orchestration of The Legend of Zelda's Song of Storms. I really like how it came out, and I wanted some insight from anyone on how I could improve at all.

Source:

Remix: https://soundcloud.com/kairi-sawler/symphony-of-storms

It's definitely not done yet, I'm just hoping for a little advice on how to make it better! The first two melodic parts are the standard Song of Storms Melody everyone knows and loves, while the third is my own original composition, which I created to fit with the piece.

Sounds great! Perhaps it's just me, but if I were to change anything, I'd have the energy rise up a little at about 1:14 when heading into the next verse, perhaps with some bigger drums building up and then make the next verse slightly more powerful overall.

If the mix is meant to be a more brooding, calm mix, then I'd say leave it as it is, it sounds fantastic :)

For some parts, different articulations would work more cleanly. EX: 0:21 could use tighter notes, so staccato or spiccato should work better to convey what you meant. Right now it just sounds like short sustains.

I'm also questioning the use of a contrabass as a drone. You're using sustains, so it's more drone-like and lackluster. Doing something with tremolo may be more interesting but more repetitive. Automation to add swells to the volume and expressiveness would really help make this more interesting. You're also using the drone throughout, and it gets pretty grating to constantly have bass in the background.

Hmmm, I understand what you mean.

I think I'll give working around the Drone-like Bass some thought. I wanted to convey a dark-yet-calm feel with it, so perhaps I'll try having it drop out in some areas.

I'll try to have some swells as well. ^_^ Thanks!!!

As for 21 seconds, it's supposed to be a more Marcato section, however I'll see about just using straight Staccato.

In the beginning, when your lead violin and staccato cello are exposed, it is easy to tell that there is not much room reverb on them. That's pretty unnatural for orchestral stuff (strings in general) when they are used in this kind of context. In other words, they're too dry! Play the song of storms and get some wetness in there. ;-) Room reverb will do wonders for making your sounds less raw, and giving more atmosphere. Just make sure you adjust your reverb so that you're not pumping it out in low frequencies; I usually set my reverb to only play at 800Hz and above. Seems good for orchestral stuff so that the reverb doesn't get muddy.

I do like your rain sound effects you have going through the song, it does seem to hide a lot of the rawness of the instruments, but you should really look into fixing that -- especially for the intro.

As a whole, I am digging it! It's pretty solid. The lead violin could use a little more work to make it more humanized, but it's pretty solid. It doesn't really go anywhere yet -- it keeps the same general vibe until the very end. You could add more to the arrangement to make it more interesting and change things up, and return to the source. Maybe a dramatic breakdown. Not bad at all. That ding at the end seemed a bit loud! :lol:

Really nice work, keep it up! This is going to be great when it's done!

Thanks for the advice!!

After fixing up the drone a little, I've started messing around with the leads. I've fixed up the reverb, the violin and cello don't drop off quickly anymore upon switching pitches, and that little reverb ending makes it sounds much more realistic.

I'll try to have the rain sort of fade in and out and swell in parts where the melody is hidden, that way it can shine without becoming too overwhelming.

I've decided to rearrange the piece some as well, the original part (previously at the end), is now right after the main melody plays just once. The Drone falls out during it, and the main backup staccato violins don't come in until later. As well I removed the "whistle" effects.

I'll upload a newer version soon for everyone to listen to.

New version up and ready for your listening pleasure!!

I tried to find a nice Staccato, but was unable to for the Cello, so I added a little reverb, and made it less dry. The overall arrangement has different reverb levels, to try and make them sound more realistic, as well the rain effect was softened to make the song sound less jumbled.

I removed the Bendy/whistle Sound throughout the piece as well. I'm not sure if I like it yet.

I may still work on the ending, as well as changing around the baseline a little, as it's quite repetitive. During the original part in the middle (now), I removed the sustained Double Bass, and changed it to plucking to give the bass a little flair.

Let me know what you all think!

https://soundcloud.com/kairi-sawler/symphony-of-storms

If anyone's wondering about the link being the same, I simply replaced the sound file on my Soundcloud. :P