So I've never really listened to chiptune music

prophetik music

It's perfect; an innovative blend of jazz harmony, funk rhythms, prog phrasing and pop melodies.

I hate listening to it. I can't music like him.

And the kid was 16 when he wrote some of those tracks. It's totally beyond my comprehension.

No mention of Shnabubula yet. For shame.

Now I feel bad :( Shnab is one of my favorite arists, easily.

Also, did anyone mention Blitz Lunar's 'Triptunes'? That's a crazy good album. And I can tell you from talking to Blitz Lunar that the album is crazy inspired. The listening experience is always enhanced for me when I know that the artist who wrote the music wrote it for a reason other than $$$$. Does anyone else find that to be the case?

Edited by ectogemia

Some that haven't been listed yet that I really like

Order of Tyr - Chiptunez of Destiny

http://videogamemetal.com/album/chiptunez-of-destiny

Anything by Dubmood really, I really like:

http://dataairlines.bandcamp.com/album/lost-floppies-vol-2-data027

The Aqua Kitty soundtrack (seriously just listen to 5. Kitty Rock, it's awesome)

http://electric-cafe.bandcamp.com/album/aqua-kitty-soundtrack

Anything by syphus, notably the Pineapple smash crew soundtrack:

http://syphus.bandcamp.com/album/pineapple-smash-crew-soundtrack

Kubbi - 2012 singles:

http://kubbi.bandcamp.com/album/2012-singles

I regularly scour around on bandcamp so they might not all be well known, there's a huge library of all kinds of chiptune music there.

Edited by drake7707

It's perfect; an innovative blend of jazz harmony, funk rhythms, prog phrasing and pop melodies.

I hate listening to it. I can't music like him.

Plus the dude's young iirc; give him some years experience and I don't even wanna think about how much better he'll be than me.

EDIT:

And the kid was 16 when he wrote some of those tracks. It's totally beyond my comprehension.

Derp reading ecto beat me to it

Replies:

;_; Your words hurt so much..

haha, probably should change some of your opening posts honestly at this point. The title, and first post seems to want this to be a chiptune suggestion thread, but it quickly changed into "things that just sound like Anamanaguchi" since you don't seem to really like chiptunes themselves per se :/

no, my opening post involved reading more than the title is all =) i never said i wanted to listen to a 99-track mixtape of acidjazzed evening. i said what i liked, and asked if anyone else had music similar to it. so far, people do! i like that. if it's not chiptunes, well, at least it got people looking at the thread. it's not like there's a ton of conversation on these forums lately anyways compared to seven or eight years ago.

a for amiga is pretty hot, not exactly what i was looking for, but it's fat and sounds great.

hadouken's album is pretty nice. the singer is pretty solid. same with i fight dragons.

I knew I should of posted tracer but didn't want to push too much ... also I agree with Brandon on the Tiny Barbarian DX soundtrack, its really good!

D-Lux:

she - Pioneer is also really good (and free!).

EDIT:

Not a fan of lyrics, or emo-type stuff, but sadNES - Fill My Head is something I guess if you like lyrics/chiptune/band combo stuff

Edited by Crowbar Man

Slime Girls - Sorta surf punk or indie pop with chips, they're getting sorta underground-big, but I didn't see them mentioned in the thread. Super good arrangements, and I'm pretty sure they use LSDj which is always an inspiration. I make stuff too but I'm not confident with my production/mixing skills to post it.

It seems like more and more people are going to 9bit or fakebit, which is fine, but I liked the first Anamanaguchi album more than the rest because it felt simpler, not so bogged down in production. Their sample based stuff is definitely good, they got my #3 album of the year last year (beat by Superchunk and Streetlight Manifesto), but it feels like they have a different approach to arranging when they changed tools, and I liked the more indie rock stuff compared to the dance-y stuff. Prom Night is my favorite song of all time though.

Yeah, I prefer early Anamanaguchi too, there was something kinda rough and 'punk' about it.

I think each Anamanaguchi album has its own distinctive sound. But really, I think I prefer their most recent album over any of them. The first third-ish of the album is totally genius, and the rest is great, as well... if you ignore the totally disjointed mastering from track to track. It ain't hard to do because the music is soooooooooo catchy.

Helix Nebula and Sting Operation from Power Supply may have the two catchiest melodies I've ever heard, though.

Edited by ectogemia

• 2 weeks later...

That is a very good album!

Speaking of 9bit Records, their website seems to be back up:

9bit Records

Also, Ubiktune (a really good chiptune album release website I mentioned earlier) is releasing a song a week, every week, all year, making a kinda of giant advent calendar album thing...

http://www.weeklytreats.net/

Edited by Crowbar Man

Chipzel's album Spectra is fantastic.

Dubmood's albums "Lost Floppies" vol. 1 & 2

Anything by Danimal

Anything by Ben Briggs

Anything by Halc

Anything by flashygoodness

Anything by Virt

Anything by C-Jeff

There's lots more out there, but any of those are a pretty solid foundation.

Oh, and that Glory Days Album that I hear is coming out soon. (Shameless. Just shameless.)

:tomatoface: