The Nintendo Stock Slide

AngelCityOutlaw

Didn't see a thread about this, but it seems like relevant news. They're down a few Rupees.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/nintendo-untraded-glut-sell-orders-loss-warning-003425639--sector.html

Yeah, I'm not sure if this is symptomatic of the relative weakness of console gaming in general or of Nintendo's Wii U offerings in particular (probably a combination), but they had better turn things around this year if they hope to keep making consoles in the future.

Edited by orlouge82

They still have enough in the bank to survive several systems flopping. And the 3DS's success certainly helps. The only reason the stocks slid is because of the change in sales forecast that'll result in an operating loss.

If they had as little money as Capcom has in the bank, then we'd have to be worried, but with where they are right now, they'll be fine.

And keep in mind that while the Wii U's fail to succeed as much as they'd thought is part of the operating loss, it's not all of it. Increasing R&D budget, hiring new people, buying new buildings... all that stuff also contributes to it.

Really, the stock slide is because investors are worried. Any company that 's traded and reveals somewhat bad financial news (low sales forecasts and stuff) suffers similar stock slides. It's just how it goes.

Plus that quote about how they need to fail more before they'll change is blatantly false. That article conveniently ignores another quote from Iwata regarding this whole situation that's quite telling.

"The way people use their time, their lifestyles, who they are have changed. If we stay in one place, we will become outdated."

If Iwata was truly as stubborn as people believe, we wouldn't be hearing this now. All the change in budget and stuff is to change, to find ways to fit in. They don't want to be left behind, so now they're figuring out how to keep up. Admittedly they should have already done this, but better late than never, right?

I'm pretty sure people have been saying this about every Nintendo console since the SNES. Except maybe the Wii, which was such an unexpected runaway success that it surprised everyone, Nintendo included.

Maybe that's why there's a dip in stocks: investors were expecting the same kind of success there was with the Wii and it didn't happen. The Wii's success isn't normal for a console so I don't know why people were over-optimistic. Maybe a lot of those investors that bailed were ones that hopped on the Good Ship Nintendo during the early Wii days because it was a hot ticket, and won't stay the course because they don't understand how much consoles have ups and downs.

That's a lot of maybes, but hey it's plausable. Either way I'm not worried about Nintendo failing and going the route of Sega. Besides, they keep throwing the media crumbs about Retro Studios doing something big, which should be enough to keep investors interested.

I'm pretty sure people have been saying this about every Nintendo console since the SNES. Except maybe the Wii, which was such an unexpected runaway success that it surprised everyone, Nintendo included.

since SNES? I'm no statistical genius, but that doesn't sound right... SNES ended up beating Genesis, though the numbers were really close, last time I looked (which, of course, was a long time ago). and while I know N64 struggled, to say "they better turn it around or they're screwed" sounds off... that console was nevertheless a successful machine. I understand that with the GameCube, though.

since SNES? I'm no statistical genius, but that doesn't sound right... SNES ended up beating Genesis, though the numbers were really close, last time I looked (which, of course, was a long time ago). and while I know N64 struggled, to say "they better turn it around or they're screwed" sounds off... that console was nevertheless a successful machine. I understand that with the GameCube, though.

hindsight is 20-20

also, both other console makers have been losing money in the hundreds of millions for years, since their brand inceptions. nintendo is the only console manufacturer that actually turns profit.

how is it news when every once in a while nintendo doesn't

Here's a pretty good article on the subject. tldr version: "Nintendo goes bankrupt" is not a reasonable possibility in the foreseeable future, but they need to think long and hard about their strategy moving forward, or else this might become the beginning of a downward spiral.

Personally, I think the thing Nintendo suffers most from is their shitty online features. Nintendo consoles don't need to compete with Microsoft and Sony consoles in terms of raw processing power, but the fact that they don't have something like Xbox Live or Playstation Network is criminally short-sighted of them. They need their own comparable online solution -- and if they manage to do it better than Microsoft or Sony (doing things like making it cross-platform so you can use the same account with the same data and the same functionality on your Wii U and your 3DS, for example) then that would be huge -- especially if they made it free, unlike both Xbox's and Playstation's online service at this point. The best part is that that's something they can do with firmware updates, so they don't even have to wait until the next console generation to make it happen.

Yeah I love the Genesis (I had both SNES/Gen back in the day) but I thought it was common knowledge the SNES pulled ahead by a large margin (~50 mil vs ~30 mil). Genesis' numbers were pretty impressive considering the massive hold Nintendo had gained on the industry at that point.

But by "since SNES" I'm sure they meant everything after it.

Edited by Crowbar Man

I never invested in Nintendo stock apart from buying a Wii U so I mean... I'm mostly unaffected by this, apart from you know, the Wii U failing and not being as good as it should have been. I don't know if I really feel buyer's remorse though, it's not that bad of a system.. it is a little overpriced and not particularly powerful compared to the next-gen consoles, but it has its own interesting little things.

Funny thing that. Here's a quote from back in 1999, regarding the N64's slump in Europe.

I made my visit to Europe. Let me tell you - the (N)64 isn't doing so well. But looking at Nintendo overall, we still have the Game Boy, and we’re an established company - we’ve been around a long time.

Replace "64" with "Wii U" and "Game Boy" with "3DS" and it applies perfectly today.

Nintendo's been doomed for decades but they've never fallen. Nor will they.