The Nintendo Stock Slide

AngelCityOutlaw

Their problem ironically is that they aren't doing enough to innovate in the "gamer" space.

Nintendo does not need to enter the fray by going after the "gamer" 15 to 30 year old male demographic. Microsoft and Sony are already in a death struggle over that group, and focusing their efforts on an already highly-competitive sector of the marketplace is not a smart move to make. They need to focus on their strengths, not their weaknesses. Nintendo's strengths are high-quality first party games. That's what they need to leverage.

honestly I think what Crowbar said is the truth.

Wii U hardly has any games.

granted the PS4 and the Xbone don't have many games either, and not many really great ones at that (though they're coming and there will eventually be a lot and everyone knows it).

beyond that, every single console this time around just feels more like an upgrade rather than a whole entire new console, and the Wii U is a serious testament to that. the two others aren't any exceptions, though. all three of them just seem like more powerful systems than their predecessors.

so now most people just don't wanna get a Wii U and a large amount of games that are for PS4 are also for the Xbone, and then beyond that most of those games are for the PC now. so there's a heavy amount of PC gamers now.

I have to play with a controller, so I will never be a PC gamer. but much of the gaming market is now on PC's, from what I'm seeing.

beyond that, every single console this time around just feels more like an upgrade rather than a whole entire new console, and the Wii U is a serious testament to that.

I soooo very much disagree with this statement.

Honestly, after trying it, I think the Wii U's controller is the most interesting hardware innovation in console gaming I've ever seen. The controller's individual screen adds a whole new aspect to the gameplay (especially in multiplayer games).

Also, Nintendo has always been garbage at 3rd party, since the N64. Look at this list of top-selling Wii games. The first 3rd-party game is Just Dance 2, at #16. Then Just Dance 1 at #18, with rest appearing en masse at #27+.

People don't buy Nintendo consoles for 3rd-party games, and haven't done so since the SNES. Once the Wii U has Zelda, Smash Bros., DKC, and Mario Kart, it'll be in a much better position. Add new Paper Mario, Metroid Prime, and Kirby games, and everyone will forget the doomsaying ever happened. The Wii U will never be another Wii, but if it's another N64 or Gamecube, that'll be good enough.

I wasn't a fan of the Wii because I felt it's control scheme was a gimmick, and still do to this day being an owner of the last three gen systems (360, PS3 and Wii), but it has it's bonuses for me.

The 360 and PS3 have multiplayer titles that cater to scores of people with access to the internet and such (CoD, and so on), while my selected group of friends aren't quite into those sort of games, but we'll have Smash Brothers Brawl wars, mess around on Boom Blox, and wind down with a Harvest Moon title from time to time.

But what made me buy the Wii was mainly it's exclusives. Xenoblade Chronicles (still hurt the ol' wallet), Smash Brothers, Zelda and Chocobo's Dungeon, Pandora's Tower, Mad World, etc...

It pales in comparison to my other collections (tons of 360 titles and an ever growing PS3 collection), but it's easily accessible for hanging out and playing casually with a decent sized group of friends. I think that'll be one of Nintendo's strengths.

Now, with the Wii U and 3DS, I'm slowly warming up the Wii U (again, the whole thing seems gimmicky, but then again I grew up with both SNES and Genesis, PSX and N64, DS and PSP...call it luck.) because it has some interesting and clever titles coming out, and the 3DS has a few titles I'm positively psyched for (Bravely Default to name one).

I think that, despite stocks not being so great, they may pull the people's interest. I've noticed that our local Walmart and Gamestops can't seem to keep any Wii and Wii U stuff in stock because it flies off the shelves within the week. Maybe it's just the area in which I live, but families really eat up Nintendo products and generally praise the system, and whether or not they're knowledgeable on the systems is unimportant, I think they go solely based on appearances and ease of access.

Most people, too, grew up trusting in Nintendo and still do, and that image of nostalgia will always bring in people. I don't hate any of the consoles and handhelds (hey, I'm ever the optimist towards what all systems can do!), but Nintendo seems to be slipping up and maybe they'll pull through again like they have before.

Iwata may have screwed up letting the Wii U be designed the way it was, but at least he is accepting responsibility. This isn't like other companies where higher ups cut lower staff when things go bad, punishing everybody but themselves for their mistakes.

I have to applaud him for that. More companies should act like this

Brandon: As Mirby stated, hes cutting his pay in half for a while, and cutting other high ranking staff members by 30%~20%. Please try reading the articles posted

Also in 2015~2016 they are going to release a new "non-wearable" platform for health benefits...whatever that means.

EDIT:

Lots of interesting things stated here:

http://www.joystiq.com/2014/01/29/nintendo-envisions-on-demand-service-tied-to-ids-across-hardware/?ncid=rss_truncated

* Nintendo IDs becoming much more important going forward, hopefully tying content to it instead of hardware (just do it!)

* Suggesting something along the lines of a "Nintendo OS" support across multiple types of hardware, ala Android/iOS?

* Smartphone Apps & licencing out IPs to 3rd parties in order to entice new customers.

That licensing thing.. can go Good (F-Zero GX/AX, OoS/OoA), or ... bad (CD-I, Star Fox, misc)... I hope they are careful. Maybe they just mean like Hyrule Warriors, but I'm not a big fan of that idea either...

Edited by Crowbar Man

EDIT:

Lots of interesting things stated here:

http://www.joystiq.com/2014/01/29/nintendo-envisions-on-demand-service-tied-to-ids-across-hardware/?ncid=rss_truncated

* Nintendo IDs becoming much more important going forward, hopefully tying content to it instead of hardware (just do it!)

* Suggesting something along the lines of a "Nintendo OS" support across multiple types of hardware, ala Android/iOS?

* Smartphone Apps & licencing out IPs to 3rd parties in order to entice new customers.

That licensing thing.. can go Good (F-Zero GX/AX, OoS/OoA), or ... bad (CD-I, Star Fox, misc)... I hope they are careful. Maybe they just mean like Hyrule Warriors, but I'm not a big fan of that idea either...

Hmmm...Metroid Other M's strongest suit was definitely its gameplay (anything really bad about it seems to be from the original team), and my favorite Zelda titles happen to be Oracle of Ages/Seasons, which were developed by Capcom. So this might actually be decent.

Wanna know what'd be amazing? A Vanquish-style Metroid game, developed by Platinum Games and written by one of the lead guys from Retro. I'd pay so much money for that.

I like how that article's headline totally makes it sound like they know exactly what the QOL platform will be but then even says that details haven't been disclosed.

We have no idea what'll be on that, or what it'll entail, at this point. Merely that it exists, and seems to be some evolution of existing software like Wii Fit and Brain Age.

That's exactly what they did. Jumping to conclusions based on such a ridiculously small amount of info.

Here's a much better article about the announcements. As you can see, Nintendo's not entering the health care business, but merely creating a new platform to help improve the user's health that will likely connect with games in the future. Remember, Nintendo already attempted this with the canceled Vitality Sensor, so this is nothing new.

Edited by Mirby

Bahahahahahahahha I honestly thought I was reading an onion article for a second.

It was definitely vague - it seemed like the press tried to make a story out of something he didn't go into detail about. I'd wait for more info honestly

Just a wee little more info here: http://mynintendonews.com/2014/01/30/iwata-announces-nintendos-new-business-plan-focusing-on-quality-of-life/

Given that Japan's population is getting older, it makes sense that "creating a platform that improves one's health" might be lucrative. Good on them for looking into other venues to expand/improve their business.

It's just not something that as a person who enjoys games I'm particularly excited about unless that means they'll be making more quality software more often through said initiative.