Help me set up this stuff.

Navi

So one of my friends dad was a professional musician. He died of cancer a few years ago, and over the years since, her mom has been selling off his expensive, amazing equipment. She decided to move to New Orleans now, and she's just getting rid of a lot of stuff. I volunteered to take some off her hands.

She made me pay a little bit, but considering what I got, it's a killer deal, methinks. Anyways, some of this stuff she just gave me for free and it's vintage and i doubt I'll use it, but if there's a use for it in my studio i'm gonna be putting together over the next few years, let me know.

So this is a temporary setup. I'm moving to a new house in August and i'll make a more permanent studio, but for now, any advice on how to wire/set all these up (if all of them become useful) would be helpful.

As of now, here's the list:

- Yamaha RX120 Digital Rhythm Programmer.

- Sampson MixPad 9

- TubePac Tube Preamp/Compressor

- Radioshack Four Channel Mic Mixer

- Rode NT1 Condensor Mic

- Audio Technica ATM41 Dynamic Mic

- Tascam PortaOne Mini Studio (this is tape so i probably wouldn't use it, but if there's a way i can utilize it...?)

- M-Audio StudioPhile SP-5B Near-field monitors

- Two violins in decent condition

- Japanese looking electric bass guitar with this logo:

symbol4uq.png

Dunno the brand.

anyways, i already have:

- TubePre Preamp

- Audio Technica AT2020 Condenser Mic

- EMU 0404

- A couple of electric guitars.

Anyone want to take a stab at helping me setup/wire at least some of this stuff? I want to mainly be able to concentrate on vocal/guitar recording and i'd like to know how best to utilize this new trove of stuffz.

But first of all, I need to ask you if you have a any mixer? Cause this would help you a lot.

well I got this: Sampson MixPad 9 but i dunno how well it works. I'd be willing to buy a decent cheap mixer though - it was something i was considering. I think Behringer has a 40-50 dollar one?

But nah, can't get on IRC atm. :(

also, i assume that I need a mixer to hook phones up?

Right, you do.

Well then another question. Do you want to record with the mixer,then you can't get off with a 50bucks Behringer. I'd recommend digital mixers lately, but theyre still pricey. But a Behringer 12something where you have a send channel, is a good start. Enough ports for mixing "analog" and recording properly with the EMU cards.

Then... I'd exchange your tube-preamp with the TubePac Amp/Compressor, as it's more rich sounding. With the NT1 from Rode you have a fairly good microphone (large membran if I'm not mistaken). For the rest you can use your old preamp.

Dunno... it really depends on your preferences and what you want to do. I'd hook it up in parallel mode (meaning all run through a mixer - the outboard hardware at least) and record it as needed.

Else you gotta experiment a bit. Routing and the like. Maybe you find a middleway.

Ah yeah, is the Tascam PortaOne a MultiTrack device, or DAT? Just curious.

Dunno. It only has one tape slot, if that;s what you mean...I'll try and get a picture when I can.

Also, are you suggesting plugging the mics into the respective preamps, running those two into a MIXER and then into the EMU? or running one into the EMU directly and then switching them depending on which one I want to use? And then I would run my sound out into a mixer and then into the monitors?

That's some slick gear there, myth. I'm hoping I can score some stuff soon too, cause a studio near me is going out of business.

Yeah, it looks like you need some kind of mixer for all of that. I'm keeping the majority of my studio digital so I don't have to run into all of these routing issues, but I can imagine I will eventually.

Dunno. It only has one tape slot, if that;s what you mean...I'll try and get a picture when I can.

If there`s written "multitrack" on it, then it's a multitrack recorder. DAT has an own symbol. If its neither of both, it's a normal tape recorder.

Also, are you suggesting plugging the mics into the respective preamps, running those two into a MIXER and then into the EMU? or running one into the EMU directly and then switching them depending on which one I want to use? And then I would run my sound out into a mixer and then into the monitors?

Well I have a 24track mixer here.

Everything is lined up to the mixer (hardware synths, mic, guitar amp, etc - though I still have probs with the GuitarPort - but that's okay, I barely use it anyway).

I use my "group" busses for recording (4 mono subgroups, meaning 2 stereo bussed). Sometimes even the "insert" slots for direct outs (I have a EWS88MT). The rest is processed in the PC.

And yeah, I use the mixer for monitoring too. The Output of my multitrack card (4 stere channels) have their own ports on the mixer. My Mixer is then hooked up to the amp and my speakers.

So yeah. That's a commong thing. I'd use a digital mixer, but the Behringer Digital and the Yamaha Digital mixers are still expensive as hell. Though they have 2 advantages:

1) They can be used for automation

2) Everything is recorded digital (S/PDIF) and routing possibilities are fairly simple

nice haul you lucky bastard. now you need to learn da funky bass and use it in your music.

also, i have a Røde NT1A. be careful with yours, because they are extremely fragile. not just in handling, but they clip very easily and it would not be hard to blow out the diaphragm. basically you need to keep your distance from it when recording vocals. using it to mic a guitar amp would be a very bad idea as well. it is also incredibly sensitive, and will pick up even the slightest creak on the far side of your house. that said, the sound quality is quite acceptable and if you can learn to work with it, it will serve you well.

nice haul you lucky bastard. now you need to learn da funky bass and use it in your music.

also, i have a Røde NT1A. be careful with yours, because they are extremely fragile. not just in handling, but they clip very easily and it would not be hard to blow out the diaphragm. basically you need to keep your distance from it when recording vocals. using it to mic a guitar amp would be a very bad idea as well. it is also incredibly sensitive, and will pick up even the slightest creak on the far side of your house. that said, the sound quality is quite acceptable and if you can learn to work with it, it will serve you well.

hey thanks for that info. i'll keep that in mind...havent really hooked it up or anything yet. been messing around with the other mic and finding it gets a decent sound as well. any other tips you have on the Røde would be appreciated.

Rode is a must for vocals, at least so the "industry" says. Get a decent plosive shield for it, and set it up in a good and quiet position. Like already mentioned, it's basicly a vocal mic.

Well the other mics are dynamics, right? Why not use them to mic your amp (and use the Rode as backup like 1,5-2m away from the cabinet)? Just as hint, but keep an eye on the phases of the signal, else you run into trouble.

The rest is really up to you, what you aim for, etc. Like I also mentioned earlier.