*NO* Parasite Eve 'Primal Perspective'

Palpable

Hello DJP or whoever gets this!

Here is what I think is my best remix to date, I could have mixed it more but unfortunately the project won't open in my new LEGIT version of Cubase and things got corrupted too! I hope you guys will enjoy it!

My ReMixer name: mv

(other info is already on site)

SUBMISSION INFORMATION

Name of game arranged: Parasite Eve

Name of arrangement: Primal Perspective

Name of individual songs arranged: Primal Eyes, Missing Perspective, Main Theme (Orchestral Version)

Comments:

This was completed in 2012 but only submitted now because it was supposedly going to be released on a project, but due to lack of news here it is all nice and fresh for OCR! This is IMO my best submission to the website yet. Style is dnb with elements of electro and orchestral thrown in the mix, taking on 3 tracks from one of my favorite game soundtracks. I think I could have soften the mix in some parts but unfortunately I don't have access to the project anymore, but it still sounds good enough overall. Once again this mix is very long but it is not as ambient and straightforward as my FFXI one, it goes in several directions and reintroduces themes as itgoes, to end on an iconic - if not cliche - note. Hope you enjoy it!

Thanks,

Xavier 'mv' Dang

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

I'd never heard of Parasite Eve before, so this was an interesting listen. Good source tunes, actually, now that I've listened to bits and pieces of the OST.

So hey, this remix: it's clearly laden with source, and arranged pretty nicely. No problems there. I like how you tend to keep the frantic energy of the original soundtrack in your mix as much as possible.

Unfortunately, my problem with this remix comes with the fact that it's mixed so loud--there's almost no dynamic range to speak of, and it's almost painfully compressed. With as much ambiance as you've got going, you're really hurting yourself more than helping with all that master compression.

I'm also personally not a fan of the drum sounds, but that's not necessarily a dealbreaker. The kick in particular, though, sounds incredibly compressed, and probably doesn't really need that.

Basically, I'd clean up the mix, give some of the ambient stuff room to breathe, and take that master compressor down a couple notches. After that, I think I'd be comfortable passing this one.

NO (resubmit)

I agree with Flex on the overcompression. It sounds a bit smooshed and also all the backing stuff is the same volume as the leads and everything is competing to win the loudness war and also the frequency war. Super nice arrangement, I love it (and a great source choice). Interesting and varied sounds, drumming, and effects. Just take down the compression/limiting and rebalance/eq the instruments so they each have a bit more breathing room, and this will pass.

edit 4/20/14: I have listened to the newer version multiple times over the past month, and as much as it pains me to say, I still find it overcompressed, and it still has some balance issues (sometimes the violins are too loud, the snare is too loud, kick is too loud/compressed). It is a great track other than that. I sure wish you could take one more stab at the mixing, but I understand that you can't, so sorry about that.

NO (resubmit)

Edited by Chimpazilla

Definitely hear the criticisms about overcompression. There are moments where the impact is dulled because of squashing, especially the moodier sections and loudest moments. When the violin lead enters, you can really hear that squashing going on. It's too much, frankly.

Another issue is that the lead bell riff gets drowned out a lot when things are going at full speed. In those sections, the mix starts to lose focus a bit.

The arrangement is gorgeous otherwise. I love the amount of detail that went into this, and the variety of instrumentation and genre is astounding. You wring these songs for all they're worth. It would be a shame to not get this on the site in one form or another (and unfortunately, it sounds like we may not get one if you lost the project file).

NO (resubmit)

Edit (3/4): The newer version Xavier gave us is about as compressed, though the frequency balance is a little better. The kick doesn't sound as out-of-control, and the increased highs allow the leads to shine through a little better. Having listened to it a few more times, I think it's passable in spite of the compression. It's not ideal for sure, but the very strong arrangement makes up for that lacking element IMO. YMMV.

YES

Edited by Palpable

• 1 month later...

Listening to the new version, it's still a bit over-compressed; the kick feels really weak and flabby. I do like that the tones are apparent the entire time, but the lack of punch in the percussion is somewhat problematic. The arrangement is really good, however. The drums also are changed up later in the track and sound a lot better. May just be a volume increase, as the tone remains the same.

Overall the production is about on the line for me, but the sweet arrangement brings it up. Nice work!

Yes

Listening to both versions, there's definite improvement on the overcompression/loudness front. I'd argue v2 is still a bit on the loud side and could come down a bit, but at least the distortion is reduced by quite a bit (still hearing a bit on big crashes and brief louder portions).

Cool progression here with the mix keeping things fresh. A great display of a plethora of sounds in his pallette.

Whoah, wait a sec. I just hit 3:54 with the violin lead and it's actually sounding louder in v2 than v1 (possibly because it's not being squashed by other parts that were previously louder). It's piercing at points and is causing bad overcompression/distortion whenever the cymbals hit. I'd like to let it slide, but the section is nearly a minute long and, added up with the scattered distortion issues elsewhere is keeping me from giving this a nod.

Personally, I really love what you're doing here. This type of mix is def my cup of tea. However, while pulling things back helped for the updated version, it wasn't done to a great enough degree IMO. The other J's may be cool with it, though, so we'll see.

NO resubmit, please

LOVE the arrangement in this mix. Really beautiful soundscape, love the layering of fast paced percussion with longer sustained strings and synths. Piano is also used really well, with those big booming bass notes.

As Justin said though, that violin's loudness is an issue with the cymbal. The distortion is something that sticks out. Could really use a fix on that!

NO (resub)

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, agreed with all of the above about the compression. I think it's toeing the line here, but I think that alone is a pass, though a bit close overall. I listened to the 3:54 part in particular with and without headphones, and I think it's another one of those 'on the bar' moments. It could definitely stand to be brought down a touch, but I think it passes the bar as is.

The arrangement is a lot of fun, and I enjoyed listening to it through. I felt like there was a lot of movement; the track didn't feel as long as it was. There's a lot of elements going back and forth that keep things interesting as well.

Between the issues and the good stuff I think this squeaks by, though it's really close. I could see this going either way. Good luck!

YES (borderline)

Noting that I've only heard the updated version, which is what I'm judging.

Arrangement was definitely on point, so no issues there. I'm in love with the arrangement, and being familiar with the OST, I loved how it was consistently and creatively in play here.

At first I was wondering why the production was a problem, since the intro was hot, but at :35, it was immediately apparent. The soundscape was definitely cramped and imbalanced, and I don't know why the beat had to be so prominent, but it's definitely taking up too much space. At 1:00, the supporting orchestration sounded lush, but swamped out. Why is the kick at 5:34 so loud, even louder than what came before? The balance is just off for too many extended periods of time, and the densest parts suffered for sure.

The violin's not as bad as I was led to believe, but in tandem with the beats, the soundscape is just too crunchy.

Quieter moments like 1:26-2:01 & 2:51-3:03, where the parts breathe more make me hate to vote against this all the more, because this is such a good piece. I wish I could get on board, and Xavier is awesome as always, but the way this is produced is just too crunchy and cluttered for extended periods. I understand about holding arrangement and production in appropriate balance, and I want this on the site, but not enough to lower the production bar this much, IMO. Any further effort to tame these sounds and get this improved further would be great.

NO (refine/resubmit)

I just added this edit to my vote (unfortunately my answer is still no on this one):

edit 4/20/14: I have listened to the newer version multiple times over the past month, and as much as it pains me to say, I still find it overcompressed, and it still has some balance issues (sometimes the violins are too loud, the snare is too loud, kick is too loud/compressed). It is a great track other than that. I sure wish you could take one more stab at the mixing, but I understand that you can't, so sorry about that.

• 3 weeks later...

Erg... yeah that compression is killing this. You've given us a bit of a tweak already but this is really quality in so many ways that it would be a crime not to ask you to for a little more.

This is a bit of an assumption on my part but it sounds like you're possibly making use of the addictive drums compressor? It has a frigging awful signature sound, and is definitely part of the problem. If you're not using it, or not even using AD, then sorry, but I feel like I can recognise it a mile off.

NO, but please resubmit.