OCR01471 - Chrono Trigger "Chronodyne Marine"

djpretzel

Well, SSH as well, to a degree, yes. But there are much better ones out there without name recognition even in the non-pro level that have sold arranged personal albums, made personal mixes/originals and the like in the last 10-15 years. There are also plenty in the professional arena such as members in KKC, JDK, Sega especially who have pioneered the art of guitar synth sequencing.

I've been a part of this game music community for around 7-10 years now and I've seen a lot of great masters of this arena come out of there and in those times - they've probably moved on to other things by now. There are so many japanese midi, etc websites out there, in addition to many of the older sequencers from Vgmusic.com (6-8 yrs ago).

There's of course a lot of non-game mixing communities out there too where I've heard a lot of remarkable stuff from, and usually they tend to be Japanese as well.

There must be something in the water out there. :lol:

I like this a lot. However the guitar is too loud compared to the rest of the song. The sample itself doesn't bug me as much as other people, but it was quite loud. The song was also too brief. It needs about another 2-3 minutes :( You could have brought that guitar section back in to close, why didn't you?

COME WITH ME IF YOU WANT TO LIVE

Yep, there it is. ambient's wip work was already quite awesome to listen to, and what do you know? It gets accepted to OCR. Nice work.

The John Connor feel is the special touch for this track. Although not with perfect soundquality (guitar) it's pretty fun to listen to. Isn't that what ultimately counts?

I pretty much agree with the judges on this one: it's listenable, even enjoyable, but could have been SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much better with real guitars.

Said the Guitar player.

It's fine the way it is. It is a synth, it didn't need you to polish it up with your guitar skills.

I love the tuney feel to the mix to stay on topic :wink:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I pretty much agree with the judges on this one: it's listenable, even enjoyable, but could have been SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much better with real guitars.

Said the Guitar player.

It's fine the way it is. It is a synth, it didn't need you to polish it up with your guitar skills.

I love the tuney feel to the mix to stay on topic :wink:

His comment was 100% On topic, so really, stfukthxbye =).

Now this mix. Very well done. Great job balancing out a lot of the thicker 'crunch' textures. As far as this guitar thing goes... it's just too raw. I wouldn't jump in to say "Use real guitars", but as the judges said, more processing would really help it out. ((Note that the judges never said to use a real guitar)). The overall sound of that lead just seemed too narrow and focused.

I enjoyed it... solid, just could use some fine tuning.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 years later...

And again its one from ambient! This is the second song from ambient (after "back 2 skala") i´m judging here on ocremix.

I dont think either he should´ve used real guitar sounds. Its obvious that the song doesnt use any real instruments, therefore i´m fine with the synthesized guitar sounds. I really enjoy the punching bassline, especially at 0:52 and 1:57. Just like djp mentioned in his description, Terminator-Theme ;)

This is another great (of many) song from around here i just cant get enough of :)

Cya, DJMadMax

• 9 months later...

This has an interesting yet overpowering industrial vibe.

I admit that until the melody came in I was a little worried. Really the source melody is the only thing that gives any significant shape to the sound scape here; everything else would have been repetitive and very narrow.

While this isn't earth shattering, it's still a good little mix worth checking out.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

excellent intro- though i wish a little more bass was in there. A huge filtered bass would have sounded incredible under the roiling and bitcrushed percussion. The lead guitar had moments were it sounded very good, and some where the limitations of the sample showed through, but overall I think it worked out pretty well.

Length was about perfect, and though I wish there was a little bit more variation in the sections, i'm cool with how this mix panned out. The ending was classy and brief without being cheesy., which is always a plus.

• 2 years later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01471 - Chrono Trigger "Chronodyne Marine"
  • 2 years later...