OCR01471 - Chrono Trigger "Chronodyne Marine"

djpretzel

I think the guitar sounds fine. The song is based generally on synthesis rather than real instruments, so the guitar fits better even though it isn't real. My heavy metal arrangement of the same song, for instance, probably won't sound as good until I get better at sequencing, but this works.

I like it. It's a little conservative, except for the solo, but it's not a bad thing. The atmosphere is probably the most memorable thing about this song. It has a good feel.

The Pretzel knows his Terminator tracks. The drum sequence he's referencing sounds almost EXACTLY (read: awesomely) like the final drum sequence in the intro to Terminator 2, where the camera zooms in on the robot.

Synth guitar ... eh, no biggie to me. I'm more overwhelmed by the similarities to AE (read: more awesome)

Damn that ending! Confirms the Terminator vibe beyond doubt.

This is great stuff, the Terminator vibe certainly doesn't hurt, nor does the similarity to AE. This gets an easy 6 (>75%) and is held back from a 7 because the guitar isn't meaty enough :)

An interesting piece, certainly. I actually liked the feel it gave, and the guitar done the way it was turned out pretty cool. Though I have to say, intentional or not, the aforementioned Terminator vibe is very nice. Lends a sort of toughness to the track.

Overall, I liked this remix. Well done.

EDIT: I just thought of something is the title "Chronodyne" in refrence to "dataDyne" from Perfect Dark? After listening to the song again, I thought I picked up a little bit of that too.

Wow, I liked this song a lot. I tend to enjoy the heavy metal remixes, but this really takes the cake with the drums. Wow, those drums. When I first heard them The Flashbulb came to mind.

The guitar could be better, since it's very synthy, sort of high in the register. It could definitely be thicker, but it does its job.

The ambient synth that provides the background is there, just as in "Undersea Palace." There's a big difference in expression between the background there and the background in "Chronodyne Marine." The tone is really what carries the song, because admittedly otherwise I wouldn't like it so much. At any rate, good job.

Interesting take on the Ocean Palace theme, it took a while for me to recognize it. At first I thought this was going to be a more mellow piece, considering that the remixer's nick points in that direction, and so I thought at first when I heard the bell synth in the beginning. But then came the other and more rough synth. And as for the guitar, you can clearly hear that it's a synth since it doesn't sound too real, but I don't have a clue for how to make it more "guitarish". However, since this is an electronica arrangement, I guess it's supposed to sound like this along with the other equipment, that's the thing with it.

And to not stick out of the conversation, yes, the drums sounds very much similiar like Terminator. Nice remix overall. :D

I've got to disagree big time with the judges on this. As has already been mentioned, the whole song is synth; adding a real guitar would more then likely spoil what I think is a very cohesive sound.

The guitar solo could have been better, yeah, but it's hardly a song killer.

Wow, killer intro, kick butt ending. But that guitar solo (1:27-1:52)sounded too thin and almost midi-esque to my untrained ears. Sounded like someone just pressing the right notes on a keyboard, it lacked soul and substance and texture, as though the artist wasnt really... into it. Most noteably the section from 1:42-1:52. The contrast was pretty detrimental to the mix in my opinion, as the other 3-ish minutes of the mix showed attention to setting up a nice gritty feel. Even the few seconds as a precursor to that solo sounded awesome, I would have liked to hear more of that in the solo.

I don't think the judges were saying to add a real guitar. They were saying to filter the synth guitar. I agree -- it would sound a lot less like "omg FL Slayer" if there were some effects applied to it, and it would really fit in a lot better, too.

The guitar solo itself is kind of neat. I like the parts where it throws in a second one. But the note at 1:27 is really abrupt. I mean, it was sort of sudden in the original, but not this bad.

The percussion and background are both excellent. The filters applied to the drums are what save this piece. But I would really like to see what this sounds like with a different sounding synth guitar.

I also agree that the synth guitar could use some work; either a more clean sound or a more fuzzy sound. As it is, the arrangement is great, and I love the background bass/percussion. The guitar just seems to stick out funny in comparison with the rest of the song.

Great stuff! 7/10

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01471 - Chrono Trigger "Chronodyne Marine"