How old were you? (starting remixing)

Well, I started really appreciating good music about 5 years ago, as OverCoat said [and apparently he's about my age too], but techno stuff, particularly remixes, only about two years ago, even though my older sister was a raver and listened to a lot of jungle and whatnot. Up until recently [well, within the last year and half], everything she listened to seemed really repetitive to me. Luckily, I've since come to my sense [though I still prefer a good rock (or derivite thereof) song to about 95% of techno].

Well, I started really appreciating good music about 5 years ago, as OverCoat said [and apparently he's about my age too], but techno stuff, particularly remixes, only about two years ago, even though my older sister was a raver and listened to a lot of jungle and whatnot. Up until recently [well, within the last year and half], everything she listened to seemed really repetitive to me. Luckily, I've since come to my sense [though I still prefer a good rock (or derivite thereof) song to about 95% of techno].

I understand your sister's appreciation in techno, which somehow ended up being a passion I grew into taking in from the days when working with Acid and whatnot. Today, my brother is more into the electronica scene than me but I actually appreciate elder mix tapes more than those from these days. I don't know if they're the same in your country, but trance mix tapes have turned more like hip hop mix tapes with these annoying MCs rapping over the top; in the cases of what he's getting, they're mainly doing it for the entire instrumental parts of the CD.

That said, up until recently, mix tapes were listenable to me and now they're just plain annoying. :P

Apologies to those who were offended by this, but there was something about that experience that I needed to get out of the system.

10. I played E1M7 from doom on the piano and mixed it up a little. :)

Likewise, expect Vega's theme from Street Fighter 2 seemed to be the culprit. :)

Last decade (1990-1999) - Plonking on a Toy Piano, or CTK-501

1999-2000 - Introduced to MIDI.

2001 - First touched a MIDI sequencer program (WinJammer Shareware 3)

2002-2004 - Submitting MIDI's to VGMusic (WinJammer Professional 5.06)

2004-2005 - Introduced to Audio Production, refining technique on use of XG MIDI. Considering to purchase new equipment.

2006 (now) - Don't know for sure. I think I took a slump and decided to hell with everything and do things when asked, only by my agreement though. Otherwise it's not worth doing. :\ First introduced to FamiTracker. (And boy do I suck at that.) :S

I'm more focused on computer technicalities, but music caught my interest during the process. Mind you, besides the sound card and computer itself, all my audio software is, by definition, technically illegal, however I am not too sure on legalities on XG synth and a now-defunct piece of software known as WinJammer Pro. (Web archive didn't get the final page on the author's website.)

First instrument: Electric Organ - 1988-1989

Didn't know what I was soing and just liked hitting those keys. I learned to despise the big red button. I will always hate the big red button. I also hate test tones for some reason too.

Started remixing: around 2002 or so. I made a remix of Clash at Demonheads when I barely knew what the hell electronic music was. At that point I was in the transition from being saddened that I would never have an orchestra to play my music and making my music specifically for computers.

• 2 months later...

Bumping up this thread.

I'm as old as Arglebargle but I got into playing music sooner. Took piano lessons at 10, then didn't do much for a long time, until 2001. Before using FL 2.7 I was using trackers, which were resource friendly for the old 100mhz Pentium I used to have.