Mecha Sephiroth (Those Chosen By The Bass)

antiPLUR

Just me having a little laugh in Ableton Live. Let me know what you guys think so far. I may not finish it as this song has probably been remixed to death at this point but hey at least this one is unique.

https://soundcloud.com/dichter/mecha-sephiroth-those-chosen

Regards,

antiPLUR

Edited by Rozovian
not for mod review; learn to change that pls

That is pretty cool indeed.

There are some melodic parts where the strings are in the uncanny valley range (too mechanical to sound real, to real to sound intentional) and should probably be glitched up/filtered a little. And if you're using the actual source for the choir, that's of course a no-no. But otherwise I'd love to see this turned into a full remix.

The choir acapella was extracted from the game. TBH it will be a lot easier to mix properly with it omitted so I don't really have a problem doing that. Everything else is original (well as original as you can get for a remix). I will see about messing with the strings and brass; They are most certainly fake sounding :P Nero did an orchestral dubstep piece but he worked with the BBC philharmonic and I don't exactly have an orchestra available. I may go the "make it more fake" route as you suggested.

This was actually more of a joke than a real remix but since there is some interest I may finish it. I was on an Excision kick and figured "Why not?". The bass is super fun to design.

The lyrics give the song real character and really made me go "Wow" when I first got to that boss. I understand we can't use the source, so I found a solution for not having a choir that I think you will enjoy ;)

Now working on the strings

I updated the link in the original post, here it is again https://soundcloud.com/dichter/mecha-sephiroth-those-chosen

Edited by antiPLUR
added link

Awesome remix, reminds me a lot of this one, but it sounds more 'mechanical', in some senses. Good style choice on this one regardless.

I would look into increasing the overall bass output on this track, as it sounds thin on the lower end of the spectrum (even with the bass drum being as nice as it is). Also, since you're looking into finishing this I suggest making the strings either sound more mechanical (in keeping with the theme of the song) or more human, since I agree completely with MindWanderer in this regard - go one way or another with it and it'll work great. It would also be nice to hear the instruments that carry the tune closer to the front of the mix.

That's all I can think of, as of yet. Let's see where you take this track!

I am aware the the sub bass really needs to be cranked for this to work properly, this is really just a preliminary proof of concept and I mixed it without a sub. I will look into the problem of the melody not being apparent enough and try to find a solution that addresses the "uncanny valley" issue at the same time. Thank you all for the suggestions :)

*edit* wow that link of that other mix sounds really similar, especially the vocals. I wonder if I should change this one up a bit. :/

Edited by antiPLUR

Ok revamped everything. Instead of having an excision transformer noise feel it now has a more mechanical Steampunk sort of feel. Changed the strings to beeps, MAJORLY beefed up the bass. Let me know what you guys think about the changes.

Edited by antiPLUR

Am I mistaken, or does the initial bass have a long release? It kinda makes the notes bleed together.

Anyway, I need to point out some resonances in this mix for you to look into:

- 0:54, 0:58, 4:04, 4:07, etc. from bitcrushing (a lot)

- 2:09 and 4:33 from the sound with an envelope speeding up its LFO (slight)

- 2:47 from the wobble sound (a little)

- 4:15 from the arp (slight)

1:49 gets pretty muddy. It's hard to hear the piano over the bass. Scooping the mids will help bring out the piano a little bit more.

2:11 and other spots with vocals could have clearer vocals. I think the vocals are saying *something* Latin plus "Sephiroth" somewhere. I can't tell what, and I don't think I can, even with lyrics.

I think the lead at 3:20 and 3:34 has some slightly late notes. 4:43 and 4:53 are really muddy, especially in the bass.

Overall, it does have recognizable source usage. The production has room for improvement in the low bass and upper treble mixing. The arrangement, while an interesting concept, seems like it sticks to each mood for a long time in certain spots. For example, 1:49 - 4:13 has essentially the same atmosphere throughout, which can get grating. The lead sounds are pretty basic waveforms (square wave, for example), which could work against you. I can see how this started a joke remix. It'll take more polish, but this could be cool. :)

Edited by timaeus222

Am I mistaken, or does the initial bass have a long release? It kinda makes the notes bleed together.

There was an unnecessary delay on a return somewhere. I removed it. If you are talking about the "alarm" like sound in the very beginning, it is supposed to be that way.

Anyway, I need to point out some resonances in this mix for you to look into:

- 0:54, 0:58, 4:04, 4:07, etc. from bitcrushing (a lot)

- 2:09 and 4:33 from the sound with an envelope speeding up its LFO (slight)

- 2:47 from the wobble sound (a little)

- 4:15 from the arp (slight)

I fixed many of the resonance issues above. As for the "bit crushing" (which actually isn't bit crushing at all or even sample reduction but I'm not going to get into my synthesis techniques) I removed some of the shrillness and made it clearer but I want it to be somewhat jarring. It is about a robot after all :P

1:49 gets pretty muddy. It's hard to hear the piano over the bass. Scooping the mids will help bring out the piano a little bit more.

The leads have been changed to strings, and some EQing has been done

2:11 and other spots with vocals could have clearer vocals. I think the vocals are saying *something* Latin plus "Sephiroth" somewhere. I can't tell what, and I don't think I can, even with lyrics.

I did make the vocals slightly clearer by adjusting some of the release times, however I don't want it to be too intelligible. Its supposed to have a "cylon-like" aesthetic

I think the lead at 3:20 and 3:34 has some slightly late notes. 4:43 and 4:53 are really muddy, especially in the bass.

Timing should be fixed, let me know if you still hear this. The muddiness should be resolved as well

Overall, it does have recognizable source usage. The production has room for improvement in the low bass and upper treble mixing.

Please elaborate, I'm not sure what issue you are talking about. Is it a stereo phase cancellation issue in the lows? It seems rather mono compatable to me although my monitors don't have a sub.

The arrangement, while an interesting concept, seems like it sticks to each mood for a long time in certain spots. For example, 1:49 - 4:13 has essentially the same atmosphere throughout, which can get grating.

I will consider this. ATM I am happy with the arrangement. I'd like to see what some others have to say about it.

The lead sounds are pretty basic waveforms (square wave, for example), which could work against you.

Leads changed to various string instruments. I'm hoping the original "uncanny valley" issue is resolved; they sound ok to me but I'm not able to work with a real orchestra so there are limits to what I can do.

I can see how this started a joke remix.

Not sure whether to be offended or not by this statement. It did start as a joke but I've put quite a number of hours into it at this point.

It'll take more polish, but this could be cool.

Thank you.

I fixed many of the resonance issues above. As for the "bit crushing" (which actually isn't bit crushing at all or even sample reduction but I'm not going to get into my synthesis techniques) I removed some of the shrillness and made it clearer but I want it to be somewhat jarring. It is about a robot after all :P

That's fine. I just didn't want people to get their ears damaged. It can be jarring for effect, but if it hurts, it gets to be more painfully jarring than purposefully jarring. :)

I did make the vocals slightly clearer by adjusting some of the release times, however I don't want it to be too intelligible. Its supposed to have a "cylon-like" aesthetic

Okay, aesthetic choice, then. They are in fact clearer than before. I just figured since the source had actual vocals, it might have been your intention to have those clear, though mechanized.
Timing should be fixed, let me know if you still hear this. The muddiness should be resolved as well

The timing's good to go to me. Since strings have an initial bowed attack, whether the notes themselves were shifted or not, the timings now are within a "timing tolerance" for human vs. sloppy. :) The muddiness from earlier is better than before. With regards to the loudness there, while it isn't as muddy as before, it feels like there's either a lot going on there or what's there is pretty loud. It could be perceived as personal taste there, but I think it's a bit too loud.
Please elaborate, I'm not sure what issue you are talking about. Is it a stereo phase cancellation issue in the lows? It seems rather mono compatable to me although my monitors don't have a sub.

That was an overall statement, so any elaboration came before.
Leads changed to various string instruments. I'm hoping the original "uncanny valley" issue is resolved; they sound ok to me but I'm not able to work with a real orchestra so there are limits to what I can do.

In this context, it works IMO.

Not sure whether to be offended or not by this statement. It did start as a joke but I've put quite a number of hours into it at this point.

It's just a little playful joke on my part, no offense intended. Edited by timaeus222

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the "final" version. I feel its done at this point, and I don't want to make any more structural changes. I ran it by some non musician fans of the original and they seemed to like it. I'm happy with the mixing, so I'm not sure that there is much else to do. Let me know your thoughts.

Edited by antiPLUR

This is a pre-mod review review, so not a full one.

My initial impression is that it's bright and brittle, and needs some proper bass. A lot of it is repetition with some sharp wubs, strange tempo changing breaks, or annoying effects. Track level and eq should probably be looked at some more. Compare it with well-mixed tracks of the same style and figure out how to balance it accordingly.

I think the arrangement is rather good, but I mostly know the source from other remixes and not form the original so I can't say how much is your arrangement and how much is the source.

Proper mod review coming soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for your review Rozovian. No need for a full mod review; this track is no longer in production. It ended up being more of a headache than it was worth. I've moved on to other, non video game related projects. You can queue this thread for deletion if you wish.

Regards,

antiPLUR