How has your process evolved?

mickomoo

Personally, I think the question was very good. I enjoy reading my peers reflecting on their own processes. There are insights I get I wouldn't otherwise. Likewise, I find it's good to try to summarize and put into words some of the thoughts I've had on my own process. Again, there are insights I get I wouldn't otherwise - even though it's just me. This is hardly a waste of time. It would be different if I wasn't also making music, but of course we all do that already.

--Eino

I've been making music while you people have been bickering for 8 pages in this thread. My process just evolved balls deep into your collective butthole.

you have a way with your imagery.

...ever tried to picture an actual collective butthole? i hadn't until now.

first image that came up was multi siamese twin style, but i suppose you could approach it from a centipede angle.

A collective butthole is what happens when people on the internet start believing that their shit smells better than someone else's and start arguing over pointless bullcorn. This is compounded by knowitall type behavior (the kind that's brought about by wikipedia+google and not actual experience) and it almost always involves people between the ages of 17-23.

As far as the creative process goes I don't think it's something that can be measured in a linear manner, and what it always seems to come down to is what happens when the controlled environment breaks down.

What that means is that you can have the most calm and organized workflow going but it doesn't really measure properly until you're given a set deadline and have to work your ass off to make it. It's when your balls are on the fire that you start pulling out your go to plugins and leaving half eaten plates of food around your work area and really that's when you see how your workflow has evolved.

Everything ties into the old adage "If it ain't broke don't fix it." I have a "pro" rig that consist of Cubase 6.5 and Pro Tools 8. My "real" rig has Cubase 7.5 and Pro Tools 11. The reason is that all the new software and hardware I get needs time to become familiar, I know how to fix any errors in the pro rig within a few minutes, the real rig not so much. I can take the pro rig on a gig and know it'll work and be solid, and as soon as I feel like the newer rig is at that level of stability I'll switch it out.

From my experience I've found that when people talk about their process they'll be unaware of how fickle they are. Changing software and hardware every year or two, not giving anything the respect of being properly learned and explored before moving on to whatever the hype machine is selling.

So yeah, my process has evolved from being someone like that to someone who buys one thing and learns it inside and out, be it software or hardware and sticks with it.

From my experience I've found that when people talk about their process they'll be unaware of how fickle they are. Changing software and hardware every year or two, not giving anything the respect of being properly learned and explored before moving on to whatever the hype machine is selling.

So yeah, my process has evolved from being someone like that to someone who buys one thing and learns it inside and out, be it software or hardware and sticks with it.

So then you're saying we should try to learn what we want to learn to the extent that we truly believe we've exhausted whatever it is we're learning. Fair enough. But one thing bothers me.

How would you (the producer, not you, Snaps) know when you've exhausted the capacity of knowledge you can acquire from said plugin/topic/object? It's been said before (with regards to Philosophy) that you can't identify that which you don't know without first understanding its essence. Do you just pick a point where you decide "okay, this is good enough, I don't need to know anything more about this to fulfill my goals, even though there might be more out there"?

For example, if you've never seen a dinglehopper before and have no idea what it looks like, and I asked you to find one that perfectly fits the description of what one is (assuming that is a singular object type with no other variations), could you go and find one, bring it back to me, and show me that it is indeed a dinglehopper without any doubt?

Similarly, if I picked out a plugin from the set that I have, how would I know whether or not I've done all I can with it and maximized its use? There has to be a point when you just know that you've used it to its fullest extent, and that point is the actual capacity---the objective truth. How can you know, to the extent that it matters to you, that you just can't identify any more new and practical applications for your plugin? That's hard, because our experience with plugins/topics/objects is always in development. We're always hungry for the truth.

Edited by timaeus222

i'm just thankful i stopped looking at the constant barrage of new synthesizers and samplers at some point.

somehow software always brings with it that notion that you have to upgrade it, or move to the next better thing.

i demoed/bought a lot of shit over the years, only to get rid of most of it again.

There is no reason to not use 10 year old software if it resonates with you. it's just the same as hardware.

Synth1 was good in 2004, it's good now. just as the Nord Lead is still good today.

it removes a lot of hassle when you realise that the only thing you absolutely have to upgrade is yourself.

i dread every fruity loops update because i'll have to remove 80% of its content again. bloated piece of crap. but at its core i love it ;)

So then you're saying we should try to learn what we want to learn to the extent that we truly believe we've exhausted whatever it is we're learning. Fair enough. But one thing bothers me.

How would you (the producer, not you, Snaps) know when you've exhausted the capacity of knowledge you can acquire from said plugin/topic/object? It's been said before (with regards to Philosophy) that you can't identify that which you don't know without first understanding its essence. Do you just pick a point where you decide "okay, this is good enough, I don't need to know anything more about this to fulfill my goals, even though there might be more out there"?

For example, if you've never seen a dinglehopper before and have no idea what it looks like, and I asked you to find one that perfectly fits the description of what one is (assuming that is a singular object type with no other variations), could you go and find one, bring it back to me, and show me that it is indeed a dinglehopper without any doubt?

Similarly, if I picked out a plugin from the set that I have, how would I know whether or not I've done all I can with it and maximized its use? There has to be a point when you just know that you've used it to its fullest extent, and that point is the actual capacity---the objective truth. How can you know, to the extent that it matters to you, that you just can't identify any more new and practical applications for your plugin? That's hard, because our experience with plugins/topics/objects is always in development. We're always hungry for the truth.

I think you're thinking about this way too hard. :sleepdepriv:

I just completed a DAMN FINE TRACK today. What did all you philosophers do, eh? ;-)

I spent 2 minutes writing up a post in this thread and then 2 hours polishing a song.

It seems your post is tounge in cheek but I really don't see a problem with posting in a discussion forum. I don't even feel like people are philosophizing, just answering the OP's question. By this logic why do I even come to OCR. I should just spend all my time behind my DAW and nothing else. But I like to come here.

I agree with this a lot. That's how most people's processes (at least how I view the term) should evolve to begin with. Figuring out what you already have and not trying to buy the next big mic, amp, or synthesizer or DAW thinking it's magically going to make your music better somehow. It seems like most people who do this just waste money and waste time when they could actually be trying to do better.

I feel like I've gotten better with working FL Studio because I can make very full and good sounding songs with less and less each time and not strangling each sounds to death. It's how professionals usually do it anyways.

I feel like I keep saying this though so I'm gonna stop posting that now.