Bravely Default: Return of old school Final Fantasy

Any other Final Fantasy fans excited about Bravely Default? It comes out for the 3DS in the US on Friday February 7. I pre-ordered and took the day off work I'm so hyped. If you haven't heard, Bravely Default is a throwback to old school Final Fantasy, but it's not burdened with the Final Fantasy name. It implements a version the FF3/FF5 jobs system. You can also mix and match passive abilities from other classes ala Final Fantasy Tactics. The plot doesn't like it'll be terribly memorable but aesthetically it seems strong on the old school charm. You'll be awash in Black Mages, Curaga's, and Fire spells, but not zippers.

The music's damn good too

Battle Theme: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7a-8pqvm298&list=PLoAc5hlnzY88S2bD7CHTZIDqlQ_wI2oIN

Sidequest Boss Battle Theme:

One thing that is kind of nice is you can configure things like random encounter rate, difficulty, and whether you get experience and job points from battle. That way, you can side quest, explore, and experiment with jobs to your hearts content without completely killing the difficulty like most JRPGs.

The demo is around 3 hours long and really seems to give you a feel for the game so you should totally check it out. If I sound like a Square Enix shill, I'm really hoping this game does well. The game industry is starting to get like the 1990's again where JRPG's are no longer guaranteed to be brought over to the US (Valkyria Chronices 3, anyone?). Square wasn't even going to originally release Bravely Default in the US. So, here I am on an Internet forum trying to get more people interested in the game so I still have JRPG's to play.

Edited by Avatar of Justice

I waited too long to jump on the preorder for the special edition bundle. I really wanted to get that soundtrack CD, but I'll just have to look into some other legit way of acquiring it. I don't know when I'll have the time to actually start playing it (getting absorbed into Persona 4 Golden and replaying Phoenix Wright Dual Destinies), but if I see it on Friday, I will most likely pick it up.

I might pick this game up when the price goes down, but I didn't really like the demo.. It sets you out grinding for 5 beast livers, then once you get those, it sets you out grinding like 12 imp something or others at night.. There's 0 gameplay whatsoever, though the art and music is pretty great. But gameplay is important for me so I'm not rushing out to get this one.

Eh. There's some grinding at the beginning, but it doesn't take very long after that until the boss fights come in (there are several in the demo) at which point the Brave/Default system shows its stuff. It's surprising how fresh it feels in combination with other pretty standard classic FF mechanics. The boss fights are awesome. I wish they did a bit more to put everything in context, because the demo kind of felt like a proof of concept, bland map with 3 dungeons kind of chucked in there, but the mechanics are definitely solid.