Bravely Default: Return of old school Final Fantasy

Keep in mind that the demo says the quest structure it gives you is literally only for the demo. If I recall correctly, the actual game does not have you doing any of that type of content. It's just there to give you a goal so the demo doesn't feel totally pointless or directionless.

Correct, reading the opening statement tells you that the questing system in the demo only gives you some goals. They want you to understand the enemies, the drop systems, the day and night system, etc. I'm picking this up come release day. It's nice I work to midnight as I'll score it as soon as I clock out.

I didn't really like the demo that much, but I might try picking this up. I've never been a big fan of Final Fantasy except for 10, but this game seems like it could be pretty cool. Will probably have to check out a few reviews to convince me, or I'll just keep up with this thread and see what everyone else thinks.

Edited by urdailywater
because contradictions in post

I might pick this game up when the price goes down, but I didn't really like the demo.. It sets you out grinding for 5 beast livers, then once you get those, it sets you out grinding like 12 imp something or others at night.. There's 0 gameplay whatsoever, though the art and music is pretty great. But gameplay is important for me so I'm not rushing out to get this one.

I was a bit concerned about this myself since MMO style quests like this was one of the reasons I quit playing Xenoblade Chronicles. However, I read that the actual game isn't like this at all. The sidequests are apparently lengthy affairs with their own stories and characters. The rewards for most sidequests is unlocking new jobs.

The name makes me think it's about financial instruments.

I would so like to see a good redo of FF3/5/T system. Something with a not-utterly-abusive-and-unbalanced level-up mechanic, please.

Something where each job does give a level up bonus so there's a long-term commitment (unlike FF5), but the level-up bonuses are all roughly as good as each other (by some metric that is somewhere near vaguely balanced). This goes x10 if there is level-draining.

Something only as abusable as FF5's system, not as much as FFT's system.

Something with JP feeding into a tree or sphere grid thing instead of a buffet which punishes actually learning anything (FFT) or a strict linear progression (FF5).

Maybe buffet works if you only get JP for the first time each in-job skill is used in a battle. Then you want to get as many cheap skills as possible so you can train your JP faster.

Bravely Default is a spiritual successor to 4 Heroes of Light. If you're excited for BD, give 4HOL a try.

I'm curious if BD is pretty much a superior version of 4WOL and renders it obsolete, or if I really should try to play both.

The graphics look really weird on my 2DS :[ Maybe it's time to trade for a 3DS, because face it, I have to play this game based on the hearsay.

Hmm, how so? I was looking at getting a 2DS rather than a 3DS, and hadn't heard anything about games looking weird on the 2DS.

I would so like to see a good redo of FF3/5/T system. Something with a not-utterly-abusive-and-unbalanced level-up mechanic, please.

I was talking about this with my friend who is replaying FFT, while I replayed FFV. I stand by my anti-leveling-system stance. Points should be given in large chunks at fixed points in games (beating a boss, completing a major quest, etc.) with grinding therefore being completely impossible other than perhaps in the form of structured, interesting sidequests which give some bonus points. The difficulty can then be more carefully controlled since the developers know the min/max amount of points you could have at any point in the game (with difficulty settings likewise being easier to implement).

It also encourages replayability since having a fixed number of points means that you must select a strategy/set of skills for each character on each playthrough rather than just having everyone master everything. Throw in a New Game + mode where all jobs are available from the start for some variety.

Edited by yangfeili

Hmm, how so? I was looking at getting a 2DS rather than a 3DS, and hadn't heard anything about games looking weird on the 2DS.

I was playing the demo and noticed the foreground was very blurry. I guessed this was a forced depth of field effect to save on processing actual depth of field. With a 2DS obviously I can't play in 3D, so it looked kind of strange.

I downloaded the demo again just to be sure and yeah, I can't tell if the slight blur to everything is just how the art is? My eyes keep wanting to put the blurry things into focus. Beautiful art.. I love my 2DS though and probably won't give it up :/

when there's English dubs of a Japanese anime, it's normally pretty cheesy.

so this isn't cheesy? can I play this game and not feel a bit embarrassed about any cutscenes?

I feel like it's just cheesy enough to be fun without being cringe-worthy; and even if you end up not liking either of the dubs (you can switch at will), you can turn voice volume all the way down and just play it like a classic Final Fantasy.

Doesn't the game have the option for japanese voices?

i assume it does. i'll just be using that anyways. i have a hard time playing my 3ds without headphones anyways.

edit: tbh it doesn't even matter if it's cringe-worthy, people pretty much don't care about that kind of stuff anymore from what i've seen as long as you're not causing a disturbance with the noise.

Edited by urdailywater

/Old-school gamer hat on

I kinda wish that VO wasn't gonna be implemented at all. In my humble opinion, old-school JRGP's (and modern games aspiring to be oldschool JRPGs) shouldn't have any VO. Yeah, call me an old fart, but I kinda like to imagine their voices rather than listening to them drone away half-assedly (and dubbed Japanese never really does it for me, at least for VG's)

On a slightly different tangent, I think that in general, there wasn't as much dialogue and cutscenes as there are now (like the Tales Series and more recent FF's) - probably due to technological constraints, but eh, it worked for me lol.

Plus, constant VO all the time during battles can get old reaal fast, *especially* if there is a lot of grinding involved. Ofc one can argue that you can just turn off the sound, but what's the fun in that? :<

Of course, oldschool JRPG's weren't perfect, some sucked balls in general, but...blah

I feel old T_T

Hopefully Brave Default won't be overly heavy-handed. It looks pretty good from a quick glance, and by all the positive feedback here =D