Audio Engineers

I'm currently considering attending The Lexington School for Recording Arts (link to main site for the Long Island Recording Studios}, to obtain a certification in Audio Engineering. It's a one hour commute, but it will lead me to a career in which I have high hopes.

I was wondering if there were any audio engineers here that could give me some insight into this field. Finding a job, where this position can apply to, salary, likes/dislikes, etc. I've already obtained a packet of information and such, but i'd really appreciate some experienced advice.

Well I work as an audio engineer/musician/composer, and if you want it bad enough you have to put in the work.

when I was on my production course I saw all too often students not turning up to lessons, but the main one was not doing or practicing/courswork in between.

The other thing with this is that if you want to make it you really do have to pretty much eat sleep and live music production/engineering.

The thing is competition is extreemly high and your gonna have to get your demo show reel within the top 5 demos if your gonna get any intereset in getting work

I hope I havnt put you off, but decide weather you want this as a hobbie or a career and stick to it

Well.. lemme ask you this first; what do you think audio engineering involves? And why do you want to do it?

In the information pocket, I received a custom report for Sound Engineering Technicians that gives details on tasks, knowledge, work activites, etc., so i'm fairly versed in what will be involved. Just from putting one and one together though, I can see AE being used in recording studios, radio stations, concerts, sports arenas and for my own music :wink:

I personally am interested because it's music, and I love it. I know many people do, but I want to get into the nitty gritty part of it, not just for the love of listening. Just from my little experience so far, i've grown to appreciate the process of making music and I want to be a part of that music/sound that everyone loves.

Ok, but basically what I'm getting at here is that audio ENGINEERING is the very technical side of things. It's not really the production end - which sounds exactly like what you're describing. Audio engineering involves things like proper mic placement, wiring different devices correctly, syncing multiple devices, adding transparent EQ/compression to a track, managing tape machines, that sort of thing. All important skills in the pro audio world of course but not quite what you described. I could be wrong.

Ok, but basically what I'm getting at here is that audio ENGINEERING is the very technical side of things. It's not really the production end - which sounds exactly like what you're describing. Audio engineering involves things like proper mic placement, wiring different devices correctly, syncing multiple devices, adding transparent EQ/compression to a track, managing tape machines, that sort of thing. All important skills in the pro audio world of course but not quite what you described. I could be wrong.

So who does the producing? Audio producers?

Precisely what the curriculum states, along with gates, limiters, line levels, bussing, input and output peripherals, etc. I've seen a large emphasis placed on microphone magnetic fields and placement. I large amount of the duration deals with a Pro Tools DAW as well (go figure).

What I first described was kind of in general, but yes, this is all what I want to eventually be dealing with. The "nitty gritty" as I previously stated. And maybe as a bonus, on a personal level, the creative process will come along with it, but nevertheless, the engineering side of things will give me a great base to start from.

Thank-you as well for the info Mike. I've already let school (college) slip through once, i'd be a fool to let it happen again.

• 1 month later...

Welp, i'm off :D

40 hrs a week for 8 weeks to obtain my certification in Audio Engineering, and what a cramfest it will be. It will be a good start, but it's definitely only the beginning.

I'll be living with my Aunt Wahler (doesn't that just sound creepy?) for the time being, and her house is very old, so i'll be without the internet except for maybe a few occasions.

I'd like to thank everyone in this forum for being soooo generously helpful, as it will definitely give me an edge in the school and thereafter.

I,,I Take care!

• 2 weeks later...
Wow that is a fast program.

The normal course length is 32 weeks, with about 2 or three classes a week at around 2 hours a day. I'm in the accelerated program. It's almost like taking one specific class in college and compressing it into full-time hours.

So, my learning gets to the point. Again though, it's only the beginning, there are many schools in TN that i'll be looking into as well.

But anyway, it's going great. I learned a lot from the Analog portion of the class. Device routing, internal device mapping, tape recording, etc. I am glad to be back in digital, although moving around in the analog mix rooms did keep me awake quite well :wink: Pro Tools is very nice, despite the dull user interface.

Tata.

I have also been considering work in this field.

The idea of setting up all the technical equipment and getting the placement of band members and instruments correct really interests me.

The thing that is keeping me back is the same thing that keeps all other people with music-related dreams back: competition. I don't want to pick a job that will require me to be afraid at every turn or change in events, even if job security in general is ceasing to exist.

My theory (with no research...haha) is that while there are plenty of eager musicians who are willing to fight the competition, there are not so many people who are willing to deal with the technical requirements of performance or even just practice.

Basically, what I want to know is this: Do I stand a chance, without investing every moment of my life (aside from eating and sleeping, as mentioned above), of becoming a successful sound engineer? It really interests me, and I am good at dealing with many technical situations.

If so, where should I start? I plan on going to college, but I'm not sure what sort of major I should be looking at. After that, what kind of jobs would I be able to apply for? What kind of career will I end up with?

It seems interesting, but the feasibility of it is questionable.

My theory (with no research...haha) is that while there are plenty of eager musicians who are willing to fight the competition, there are not so many people who are willing to deal with the technical requirements of performance or even just practice.

That's what my "theory" is as well, so that might tell you something :lol:

Well I work as an audio engineer/musician/composer, and if you want it bad enough you have to put in the work.

when I was on my production course I saw all too often students not turning up to lessons, but the main one was not doing or practicing/courswork in between.

The other thing with this is that if you want to make it you really do have to pretty much eat sleep and live music production/engineering.

The thing is competition is extreemly high and your gonna have to get your demo show reel within the top 5 demos if your gonna get any intereset in getting work

I hope I havnt put you off, but decide weather you want this as a hobbie or a career and stick to it

This might as well. Mind you, he is located in Europe and it may be a different situation there, i'm not sure, but I can guess L.A., New York, and Florida are no different.

I don't have any job related experience with audio engineering, but I do know that most people who come out as one work an internship to gain valuable experience. My class even has a section for preparing you as such. Now whether you can survive from working an internship, that's up to you (I can't), so i'll mostly have to make due with a part-time job until I can land that primo position with the experience I have gained. All I can do is put in some applications at recording studios, radio stations, concert halls and the like and keep working until I find something.

I'm motivated because I love music, simply put. Every day i'm at school mixing up a song, it goes by so quick because I love working my way up to a finished mix and hearing the result. And i'm learning something new (something that I WANT to learn) everyday.

I don't know, i'm not the most experience guy to talk to, but if you do go through with it, I hope things turn out alright. If you love it enough, things will fall in place.

• 1 month later...

I have graduated, and am now a certified Audio Engineer :D. Though many here definitely have a great deal of knowledge more than I, it is a great start, i've learned a lot in a small amount of time, and I feel more confident about my future in such a profession.

Though the job market is competitive, i've heard that IATSE might be something worth looking into, and of course, local recording studios and radio stations.

Just thought i'd finish the thread (if that's possible).

I'm also taking an audio engineering course. (2 year program) I'm wondering if anyone can suggest places for jobs at all. That's my main concern right now.

As is mine :lol:

Your course is 2 years so it's definitely going to be more in depth than mine. Depending on how deep, will depend on where you can go. My training was more focused towards the mixing and recording aspect, with a suffice amount of the science of sound involved and the devices used. I'm most likely to get a job at a recording studio, which, isn't a very effective pursuit considering my location, but oh well. I could be a stagehand or work at a radio station as well. These possiblities are all similar to yours.

Now, if you're actually getting deep enough into the subject that you could possibly be designing speakers and the like, that's a whole different thizzang. Or maybe you could even be developing plugins for a software company.

Mainly though, i'd say Audio Engineers are more represented by their mixing/mastering abilities, in which case, you could work at recording studio or mastering house, or start your own. Now, there are a lot of "studios" out there due to the trend of home recording, so i'd be weary of that at first. One thing i'm pretty sure of is that you'll want to intern for 6 months to 1 year to gain valueable experience, or be a "runner" at a big studio answering telephones, and getting food for the band :wink:

Either way, 2 years is a pretty hefty term, so it should serve you well. Where are you going by the way?