Kontakt 5 Bugging out in FL Studio 11?

ad.mixx

I found a topic like this in the image-line forums, but nobody there seems to have an idea of what's going on so I want to try here.

Back on my old labtop, which was about 4 years old, with worst specs than this brand new HP I recently bought, Kontakt would load into FL Studio just fine. It was a little buggier than all other VST's but it still did what I wanted it to do and didn't any major problems.

That was FL Studio 10, now on FL Studio 11 I'm having a lot of trouble with Kontakt 5 Player loading up. The VST loads fine (though a lot slower than it used to), but when I try loading an instrument (Upright Piano in this case, since that's all I've used it for), it takes about 3-4 minutes to actually load the instrument, and the VST itself runs super laggy with the instrument loaded. Not to mention that I can't expect the instrument to load on the startup of the project, so I have to reapply the VST each time I load the project. The rest of the project runs fine of course, it's just Kontakt 5 that is screwy.

I've been dealing with it for now until I finish my current project but it's causing a lot of problems now, the biggest one is crashing my project for no reason. I know some of you use Kontakt a lot and I'm wondering if there's anything you do to make Kontakt run better or maybe if I'm just doing something wrong in general. (Maybe I installed Kontakt wrong? Or something?)

I really don't believe anything hardware could be the issue unless things haven't been made fully compatible with Windows 8 yet (which is software anyways).

Edited by urdailywater

I found a topic like this in the image-line forums, but nobody there seems to have an idea of what's going on so I want to try here.

Back on my old labtop, which was about 4 years old, with worst specs than this brand new HP I recently bought, Kontakt would load into FL Studio just fine. It was a little buggier than all other VST's but it still did what I wanted it to do and didn't any major problems.

That was FL Studio 10, now on FL Studio 11 I'm having a lot of trouble with Kontakt 5 Player loading up. The VST loads fine (though a lot slower than it used to), but when I try loading an instrument (Upright Piano in this case, since that's all I've used it for), it takes about 3-4 minutes to actually load the instrument, and the VST itself runs super laggy with the instrument loaded. Not to mention that I can't expect the instrument to load on the startup of the project, so I have to reapply the VST each time I load the project. The rest of the project runs fine of course, it's just Kontakt 5 that is screwy.

I've been dealing with it for now until I finish my current project but it's causing a lot of problems now, the biggest one is crashing my project for no reason. I know some of you use Kontakt a lot and I'm wondering if there's anything you do to make Kontakt run better or maybe if I'm just doing something wrong in general. (Maybe I installed Kontakt wrong? Or something?)

I really don't believe anything hardware could be the issue unless things haven't been made fully compatible with Windows 8 yet (which is software anyways).

I can think of three potential problems:

1) Not enough or not a lot of RAM. What are your specs?

2) Slow processor speed and loading uncompressed samples. What's your processor speed? Are you using WAVs, NCWs, or compressed library files (I think they were NKX or something)?

3) Windows 8 compatibility (maybe)

Edited by timaeus222

The RAM issue isn't it for sure because the guy who had a problem on image-line had like 12gb of RAM. He was having the same problems.

I'm not sure about processor speed (I have a faster processor than my older computer so it doesn't seem like that'd be it), but when you say loading uncompressed samples do you mean that I'd have to compress my samples to begin with? I installed this sample right off the native instruments website so I'm not sure if there was any other steps. It's about 2.4gb altogether (but that's about 5 different samples of Upright piano)

If that's not it then I'm going to have to believe it's Windows 8 wonkiness and that it's something on image-lines end.

edit: and I'm using the latest version of FL Studio 11, and the 64 bit version of Kontakt 5. I didn't see anything about a compatability mode version.

Edited by urdailywater

but when you say loading uncompressed samples do you mean that I'd have to compress my samples to begin with? I installed this sample right off the native instruments website so I'm not sure if there was any other steps.

If that's not it then I'm going to have to believe it's Windows 8 wonkiness and that it's something on image-lines end.

You don't have to, but it helps speed up the loading times. I've batch-compressed every library that I had gotten as WAVs into NCWs, and it's essentially halved my loading times. For me there's just a bit of a pause for about... 20~30 seconds, then the samples load within the next 5~10 seconds.

Are you using the non-compability mode version? I recall Kristina telling me how the versions were switched or something, when FL 10 was updated to FL 11.

EDIT: Yeah, it's the info at the very bottom here.

Edited by timaeus222

what my quote just said

i got it off the website. that's all i know

EDIT: OOOOH, I know what you mean now my bad. No I'm not using that one. Should I?

Well, I distinctly remember having a project file of mine working well when I opened it in FL 10, which I specifically labeled as "extended memory" because of how it supported more than 4GB RAM, but when I upgraded to FL 11, it didn't open because of memory issues, and it gave me all sorts of completely wrong errors (stuff like Fruity Delay 2 being not installed, etc.). I had kept FL 10 installed just in case, and so I just worked in that project file with FL 10 until I figured it out.

It took a while, but I opened the same project file in FL 11 using the *other* .exe file, simply called "FL.exe", and it worked. So, yeah, try that! :D

That unfortunately didn't help at all. Though I do think that the wrapper loaded a bit faster, the sample itself still takes about 3 minutes.

I'll probably try compressing the samples like you did, that seems like it could help a lot since it's specifically the samples that are having trouble loading correctly. If anything I might try FL Studio 10 to see if it works any better. The only reason I upgraded to 11 was because it had some amazing samples loaded into it.

If you have any other ideas though I can try them out though. thanks for all the help so far!

This is why I hate upgrading anything by the way, even forcibly. If it works it shouldn't have to be fixed. D:

Edited by urdailywater