Suggestions for a beginner

I've been interested in learning to play the keyboard for some time. Having played the drums for a few years now, I figure it wouldn't hurt to learn to play a real instrument :lol: . That said, I'd like to invest in something that I can both learn with and later use to maybe put together a few remixes. Keep in mind I don't have a lot of money to blow.

So far, MIDI controllers seem like a good idea. They're relatively inexpensive, at about the same price as, say, a good Yamaha PSR, but look like they might be better quality for the money. Sure I'd have to be at my computer to even use the thing, but I figure that's where I'd be playing anyway. I'd just load up FL Studio and have at it with different samples.

My other option would be a consumer level keyboard like a cheap Yamaha or Casio. I wouldn't have to be tied to my computer with one, but they all seem like big pieces of junk to me.

Anyway, what do I know? I guess what I'm really asking for is some advice. What do you expierenced folks suggest?

That said, I'd like to invest in something that I can both learn with and later use to maybe put together a few remixes.

Here we go again: Remixes are not a musical genre on itself. A remix is a re-interpretation in whatever style you deem fitting and/or preferable of an existing piece of music. If remixes were an actual genre you wouldn't hear the diversity you can hear here. Just FYI, NOFI :).

So far, MIDI controllers seem like a good idea. They're relatively inexpensive, at about the same price as, say, a good Yamaha PSR, but look like they might be better quality for the money.

Better functionality, actually. The PSRs don't have sliders, rotary knobs, or anything you need for real-time control.

My other option would be a consumer level keyboard like a cheap Yamaha or Casio. I wouldn't have to be tied to my computer with one, but they all seem like big pieces of junk to me.

It's not so much that they're junk (they aren't and Yamaha or Casio is miles above the even cheaper Chinese stuff).

- you pay money for built-in rhythms and accompaniment

- it's got a big nice colored LCD that is absolutely useless once you look at your computer screen

- the sounds in these things are usually fixed; forget 'tweaking' something a little bit if it's not to your liking.

Anyway, what do I know? I guess what I'm really asking for is some advice. What do you expierenced folks suggest?

A controller is not enough. You're going to need an audio interface, too; if only to combat the latency properly, or to record your real drums in the future.

I'd pick this one if I were you: http://www.zzounds.com/item--MDOAXIOM61

You will love having those pads, trust me. Using the keyboard to enter drum notes sucks after using them, plus you can do proper rolls, flams, etc.

As an audio interface, lots of decent cards around. E-mu 0404, M-Audio Audiophile 24/96 (you can find those secondhand for not much), etc.

A good controller will serve you for a long time. A PSR will only go so far until the newest 'board with more realistic sounds and up-to-date rhythms comes out.