Calm of Sweden (Minecraft "Calm3" Remix)

Anorax

This is a remix I did in 'collaboration' with Flexstyle for RwTS last year, and I've basically let it sit on the shelf since then. However, I've decided to pick it back up and start working on it again.

To be fair, this was a collaboration almost exclusively in name only, as I was unable to really get a hold of Flexstyle during the duration of said competition. (Ideally I could get in contact with him again and actually turn this into a full-fledged collaboration. One can dream)

Here's what I've got so far (at this point, the same as what was submitted for RwTS)

So, tell me what you think, what I may need to focus on, what needs fixing (for example, I can't mix to save my life), etc. and I'll work from there. Thanks!

EDIT: I should probably make note that the middle section is the most cringeworthy part of this in my opinion, and I plan on giving it a complete overhaul

Edited by Anorax

Even though you say you can't mix, it seems that herein lies the problem!

I would definitely tweak that middle section some more. The drums seem to all be panned towards the middle, and are too loud in some parts.

The piano in that middle section seems very dry, I'd add a very tiny amount of extra reverb (some may disagree with me about this though :<). It's also very loud in the mix for the section in particular.

Everything else is fine; just work on that middle section--panning, mixing, humanization, etc.

I think that the intro is really solid.

The middle section isn't awful, but it does get a bit grating for me for a couple of reasons. First, I would add some reverb to the piano and string parts here (and maybe the snare as well), because they sound really dry compared to the atmosphere in the first section. The percussion is also really static, which makes it a bit tiresome for me after a while. Adding some swing and some interesting fills could make it a lot more interesting rhythmically. I don't think I would worry too much about panning, since it's predominantly kick and snare (which should be centered anyway). I think it sits adequately in the mix.

Another issue is the articulation of the strings. Especially in the coda, they sound pretty stiff and mechanical. First, the accompanying progression/rhythm is pretty noticeably the same sample repeatedly at the same velocity. Adding some note emphasis (probably at beats 1 and 3) would be a start. And second, the melody line has a bit too much attack for the start and stop nature of the melody being played, which makes that instrument feel a bit behind, especially once the pizzicato unison comes in.

Overall, I like it.

I really enjoyed that! :D It's a little harsh in a few places, but the arrangement itself is pretty beautiful. I'd like to ask, what piano VST are you using?

I don't have the project open right now, but I have only three VSTs that make a somewhat realistic piano sound (one GM sound library, a dedicated grand piano VST, and an electric piano VST), and they are Mixcraft's stock "Acoustica Instruments", Acoustica's "Pianissimo", and "Lounge Lizard", respectively. If I recall correctly, I used Pianissimo in the middle section (although I may have used the GM library, I'll have to check) and I know I used Lounge Lizard in the intro. Does that help? :-)