HALLELUJAH! Sample lovers, it's a dream come true!

Is QL brass the same brass present in EWQLSO? Judging from the samples it seems there are a fair few more articulations, but it might just be my shitty usage of the brass in EWQLSO silver.

Thanks.

Back to the roots then. Instead of using "keyswitches", you use one channel for one articulation now. This is how it was done in the old days, and this is how it is still done with Miroslav Philharmonik (as it doesn't have KeySwitches).

You know, keyswitches really aren't the be-all end-all though. I'll be honest. I don't use them at all. I just load the individual patches and work on separate MIDI channels. I've tried using them and they just don't seem that great. I definitely wouldn't let that aspect influence a buying decision.

At any rate, sample CDs like the ones being sold here can really be useful even though they don't come with all the modern bells and whistles. I still use Florestan Martellato (derived from an old Roland expansion card, which I also own) alongside libraries like VSL, Garritan Orchestral Strings, and QLSO. Some of my favorite drum samples come from a $9 CD I got at Soundsonline called "Gota Yashiki Groove Activator". etc.

Dunno if it works with "your" PC, but it does with mine. And we covered that Q a couple of times "in this thread" now.

You know, keyswitches really aren't the be-all end-all though. I'll be honest. I don't use them at all. I just load the individual patches and work on separate MIDI channels. I've tried using them and they just don't seem that great. I definitely wouldn't let that aspect influence a buying decision.

Well... You use the "old" technique then. But with newer samplepacks, you load one single patch not "once" into your RAM (with keyswitches and the like) but if you go for "each articulation - 1 channel", chances are you load the patch up to 5-6 times into your RAM, each with the same samples,keyswitches and the like. A very negative thing with every sampler I know - no samplesharing like Musiclab RealGuitar if you load 2 instances with the very same samples.

as long as we're talking about keyswitches, I'd like to throw in my opinion (which closely resembles some of the previously stated) -- while pretty cool features, they're not what I like to use personally. I'd much rather have several channels, each with its own articulation on it. Somehow that seems less complicated and more liberating.

Well... You use the "old" technique then. But with newer samplepacks, you load one single patch not "once" into your RAM (with keyswitches and the like) but if you go for "each articulation - 1 channel", chances are you load the patch up to 5-6 times into your RAM, each with the same samples,keyswitches and the like. A very negative thing with every sampler I know - no samplesharing like Musiclab RealGuitar if you load 2 instances with the very same samples.

It seems like you're talking about something slightly different. For example, in QLSO Gold, you have one patch for, say, Sustains, and one for Marcatos. If you load the Marcato patch, it's an ENTIRELY different set of recordings for that articulation. It's not simply loading the Sustain samples into your memory, but truncating them with an envelope. Thus if you use a keyswitch, it's still loading both sets of recordings, but now it's only on one channel. To me this doesn't seem like a big advantage; you don't save any CPU power or RAM. You're just condensing the MIDI channels.

This is the negative thing on "Keyswitches" indeed. Condensing MIDI channels (1 MIDI channel for all articulations) but using ton of RAM. The negative side on "seperate channels for articulations" is, that you clog up your sampler fairly quick in terms of "channel usage" - and some sampler start to barf.

So far, no sampler (well maybe GIGA3) works efficient in that way. But then again, I don't have VSL (Vienna Symphonic Libary) and don't know how it is handled here.

Keyswitches really have the advantage while scoring and "live play". Though I know people who use both techniques: Scoring with keyswitches, scoring with different channels (while they actually score on one patch, then select individual notes and route them to the respectative channel - like you'd do with Miroslav).

Dunno, whatever works best for you. I don't have problems with either of those techniques, though I do prefer "keyswitches" while writing.

Thank you for your order!

You ordered:

TITLE QTY PRICE
----- --- -----
Percussive Adventures AKAI S1/2/3000 1 $19.95
ProSamples Vol 31 Rare Ethnic Instruments 1 $19.95
Quantum Leap Brass Akai S5000 1 $19.95
Ultimate Piano Collection AKAI 1 $19.95
--------
Subtotal $79.80
Tax $0.00
Shipping $15.75
--------
Total $95.55

Bingo! I saved over $1000 on that stuff. Thank you zircon!

Provided we receive your order by 2pm PST (Pacific Standard Time), and the items you ordered are in stock, we usually ship your order the same day (excluding sale periods, which may require extra order processing time) by Federal Express (FEDEX) worldwide."

Just judging from this forum, I can already see them being pretty backed up. Still taking a damn long time though.

can we expect 90% of remixes submitted/posted within the next few months to use the QL brass sounds?

kinda like the 9/11 babies.

Ugh, it's already gonna be as bad as FL presets. Automatic NO from us. :)

At least QL Brass sounds good.

That doesn't stop newbs from writing unbalanced and overpowered remixes. Good samples can sound like crap, but carefully engineered and mixed, chances are you get even more for what you paid for.

*quote pyramid yeah!*

And no, Gilrad. Those samples won't work with your card alone. You need a sampler that can load and play them.

Hmm. What kind of program would run and play them? Something as big as Cakewalk or Fruity Loops? A go-between program that loads them into my card? Something different entirely? I don't know a whole lot about hardware, but if that's what you're talking about is there a simple little usb periphrial that could do it?