HALLELUJAH! Sample lovers, it's a dream come true!

Hmm. What kind of program would run and play them? Something as big as Cakewalk or Fruity Loops? A go-between program that loads them into my card? Something different entirely? I don't know a whole lot about hardware, but if that's what you're talking about is there a simple little usb periphrial that could do it?

Look at page 2-4, mainly page 2.

In a nutshell: Kontakt and Halion apparently load them fine, FLStudio will need a converter (ex: cdextract), NNXT-19 has an update for AKAI. Other miscellaneous info included.

When you refer to loading them, are they being loaded into the computer's ram, or onto the soundcard's?

Ideally, I would like to find a program that can convert them into a usable format for my SB live (SF2, sbk, slf), don't know if that would be possible given the size and structure.

I would imagine your computers.

Regardless, your card is fine, but your card alone lacks the capability to run the files. You need a sampler, a virtual device that loads the instrument, which is usually contained in certain host programs. There are many more others who can give you the technical gist of it.

Err..you need a sampler. :)

While we're on the topic. I understand FL can't merely go and load AKAI files, Roland files, what have you. My question is, would using a soundcard such as an Emu soundcard make any difference? And also... what can you use to load Roland files into FL? Something like that CDXtract program?

We can say and say that only again and again: Samplers.

Doesn't have to do anything with your hardware (audiocard) at all.

CDXtract is a sample converter. You can convert from (let's say) AKAI to SF2. This can be loaded with the SF2 player in FL again. Simple task. Then again, I'd get a "real sampler" for sure. It's helpful in a lot of things. Especially effects and available samplepacks.

Due to the fact that samplepacks nowadays are shipped with "bundled sampleplayers" (Halion Player, Kontakt Player, SampleTank LE, etc), the need or the versatility of "big engines" got a bit forgotten.

Whatever you use is your thing, but please read the thread a bit more closely next time. We really answered this question like 5-8 times now.

Alright, then let me get this straight... a sampler is a "hardware" type thing? As in, it's a seperate machine, and not just some software?

It can be, but for the most part, we just use software. A "virtual device" as I mentioned before. Being called a sampler, it loads samples, which are recorded instruments or patches, and sets the different notes to different ranges, respectively. From there, you can plot the notes with a mouse or play them live, and then tweak the sample with the effects complimented by the sampler (attack, decay, release, sustain, etc).

Edit: My bad, settings on the sampler can be tweaked before as well, or even automated.

Oh, good. I was checking out some... "real" samplers? And they were all going for around $1000+. Hopefully virtual samplers cost a lot less? I'm wondering... is there any possibility of a say... miracle sampler? XD One that could load nearly every type of file? If not, then just one that at least can load a few types would be great..

Oh, good. I was checking out some... "real" samplers? And they were all going for around $1000+. Hopefully virtual samplers cost a lot less? I'm wondering... is there any possibility of a say... miracle sampler? XD One that could load nearly every type of file? If not, then just one that at least can load a few types would be great..

*sigh*... i'm hitting the sack.

Just ordered the brass :D

I like this kind of deal - I think this is the first music-related purchase I've made that I haven't agonized endlessly over. Even though they charged me $15.00 for shipping ( :evil: ) the price is still basically a no-brainer :mrgreen:

Looking forward to working on some Star Wars/Cowboy Bebop/Kill Bill brass action :D thanks again for pointing this sale out to all of us! I think this brass library and IK Philharmonik are going to have a long and beautiful friendship.

WAIT WAIT WAIT, Rellik. I thought the Brass in Miroslav Philharmonik is already "huge sounding".

Most certainly not :(

As with anything I'm sure it's possible to get the desired sound out of Miroslav's brass, but I've had it for like 2/3 of a year now, and in all my many hours of experimentation with different mixing and layering of solo and ensemble instruments with different articulation variations in different octaves and different reverb and eq settings (and plugins), I've come to terms with the fact that the brass section is just not that great for the "huge sounding" effect.

That's not to say that the brass CAN'T be huge sounding, because it can (just rather poorly, to my tastes - certainly serviceable, but not exactly a pleasure to work with, and at least for me, not really satisfying in terms of sound), or that it doesn't have any redeeming qualities (it's very well-suited to the smaller ensemble, less aggressive stuff) - but compared to the strings, the brass really lags. Choir and percussion lag slightly too, but they're basically fine, whereas the brass is unsatisfying time and time again as I patch combi after combi...

It'll be fun to try some experimentation :) I have a feeling the fact that the QL Brass is recorded in a different hall with different mics with a different goal and different players and different directors telling the players to do entirely different things is going to breath some fresh air into the mix when I combine QL Brass with Miroslav. Not sure how QL brass mixed with Miroslav brass will sound - that's one thing I'm curious about (I'm already almost certain the mix of QL brass with Miroslav everything-but-brass will sound fantastic! :D)

Haha... 2-5 days shipping. Yeah right. Look at that:

May 7, 2006
5:53 PM Departed FedEx location MEMPHIS, TN

May 6, 2006
3:16 PM In transit MEMPHIS, TN

May 5, 2006
7:08 PM Arrived at FedEx location LOS ANGELES, CA
6:28 PM Left origin HOLLYWOOD, CA
5:20 PM Picked up HOLLYWOOD, CA
2:44 PM Package data transmitted to FedEx

Does "The King" do private checks of the delivery? XD