HALLELUJAH! Sample lovers, it's a dream come true!

Hell yeah I finally got my samples. But... it seems like Sounds Online either made a mistake, or the third CD I ordered is out of stock/print/whatever.

I ordered "Quantum Leap Brass" (to accomodate Peter Siedlaczek CCC), the "Ultimate Piano Collection" (is "Volume 1" standing on your CDs, too?) and a CD called "Diffusion Of Useful Noise" (Audio CD). The last one wasn't shipped, and not listed on my invoice either - which, thankfully, made it cheaper alltogether, too.

Even though the TAX (16% VAT, Taxes and and extra Administration Fee from FedEx) was 15,65Euro extra to the 22,95USD shipping. Which means: 42,95USD for shipping and tax only! More than the samples cost themselves!!!

Did something similar happen to either of you, too? Just curious.

Also, how long did it take for you guys to get the e-mail regarding shipping? I'm still waiting...

I never got an e-mail, but I got my package about a week after I ordered it.

I do have a question, though. The Percussive Adventures CD that I ordered wasn't the AKAI one, it was the Audio CD one. So basically all I have are two 97 track music CD's full of samples. Kontakt won't read it. I really don't want to have to rip every single track off the CD to .wav...is there anything I can do instead?

The big problem is that the second CD assigns 5, 6, or 7 drum loops to each track with about two seconds of silence in between. Is there some sort of plugin that reads "Audio CD" format samples?

Or a sampler that can load that stuff natively.

Roland is "similar" to AKAI CDs. It's an own format and can't be loaded that easily. The Major samplers should recognise them fine though. If I can still remember, the samples are sorted in "libaries" like AKAI CDs and you select the patches individually,then copy them to your HDD (will be converted with your sampler) - that simple.

Somebody in here mentioned "crappy Roland" versions though (even though Roland also uses wav and aiff, just the patches files are different and the OS). So if you want to be on the save side, get the AKAI CDs. If you don't care and go for the risk, get the Roland version.

Is the piano stuff any good, Andrew. Or should I stick to my GIGA material and SF2? I'm a bit curious.

I'd like to know this as well. I think I'll take a second shot at some goods from this sale before it's too late. I'm currently considering:

QL Guitar & Bass Roland ($19.95)

EW Percussive Adventures AKAI ($19.95) -- anyone got to play with this one yet?

Ultimate Piano AKAI ($19.95)

Also, my VSampler demo expired. I think I might pick up Kontakt 2. Damn is it pricey though.

Didn't test "Ultimate Piano" yet, but my CD is open already. The Pianos are shuffled in different patches, unlike GIGA pianos who can have keyswitches (damper pad, sustain pad), etc. This makes stuff a bit tricky, but if you program your own trigger, you can generate a "big piano" out of different patches with like 12MB to 32MB.

AKAI samples were that way. The time the CD came out, AKAI just had their 32MB and 64MB samplers out, so it's no wonder that the booklet is aimed towards "how to set up the samples in hardware samplers".

Personally I'd say it's save to get that CD "blindly". For 20USD, there's nothing much you can do wrong. ;)

Yikes. That sure hurts the discount. I'll grab a couple of these CDs while I can and look into the converter when I can afford it.

According to Unknown (Ty), the CDxtract demo let's you convert one folder at a time. However, it considers the entire CD as one folder, so you SHOULD be able to use that to convert to soundfont.

In regards to the Guitar + bass programming.. you're going to want some sort of sampler like Kontakt, Halion, or VSampler to reprogram it. It is very poorly programmed to begin with. There are different patches for high/low regions on the keyboards and soft and loud velocities.

You want features, you want accessability, you want good handling, you have to pay money. That's how it is. It's not like you don't get anything as "bonus".

But face the truth... good stuff is not free. And if it's cheap, it's years old or on group buy. Stop whining, we had to pay for our stuff, too. And on this boards, we've written a couple of times how to get stuff cheaper, you just have to look.

If you're not patient enough to do so, or don't feel like it, maybe making music is your wrong hobby.

Yikes. That sure hurts the discount. I'll grab a couple of these CDs while I can and look into the converter when I can afford it.

According to Unknown (Ty), the CDxtract demo let's you convert one folder at a time. However, it considers the entire CD as one folder, so you SHOULD be able to use that to convert to soundfont.

In regards to the Guitar + bass programming.. you're going to want some sort of sampler like Kontakt, Halion, or VSampler to reprogram it. It is very poorly programmed to begin with. There are different patches for high/low regions on the keyboards and soft and loud velocities.

hmm you could probably even make a sfz patch for it (if you had sfz+ anyways).